Killmonger or 5*Deadpool?

Jacklag
Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
I've been waiting for Heimdall to enter LL to start pulling my currently at 33 hoarded tokens. I didn't like 5*Deadpool that much upon reading it, but now that his pvp event started, he seems actually pretty fun.

I'm not a 5* player myself yet, my highest covered 5* are 1/5/3 Apocalypse and 3/2/5 Beta Ray.

After reading the Discussion on the Value of Killmonger and Onslaught, I'm a little more excited about his Red power, but Deadpool has a stun, which the Apoc/BRB duo is missing.

How do you Wade (😜) these two?

Comments

• helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    edited October 2020
    I don't think either are going to change your game. My advice: pull to get 1 cover of each and then stop, get back to hoarding. Hoard your LTs for the next meta, hoard your CP for the next meta vault (if you haven't already emptied it on the Okoye/Kitty/Apoc vault, do it now as you're unlikely to see a better vault for the next 12 months).

Thanks to the above strategy (which I used myself):

I had over 300 LTs when Beta Ray was introduced (now champed)
    I had over 300 LTs when iHulk and Apocalypse were introduced (Apoc champed, iHulk at 13 covers but softcapped so he doesn't tank over my Okoye)

I had over 4K CP when vaults for Okoye, Kitty, and Thor rolled around (all now champed).
  • Jacklag
    edited October 2020
    helix72 said:
    My advice: pull to get 1 cover of each and then stop, get back to hoarding. Hoard your LTs for the next meta, hoard your CP for the next meta vault
    I know you are right. But doing the right thing is sometimes SO boring!
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It depends on your playstyle and who else you use frequently. I see some similarities between these two.

Firstly, Killmonger also have Penance Stare like ability when the opponent match a critical tile and they have fewer than 5 red ap. This requires you to take damage just like how Penance Fare requires you to take damage, but you will deal back 300% or more damage back to the opponent. This percentage will fluctuate based on the opponent's level, match damage and critical multiplier. The only thing is Penace Fare has additional effects like destroying tiles, creating a CD or dealing random damage to non-target opponent.

Secondly, Deadpool steals 1 ap when you match tiles in the target's strongest colour, whereas Killmonger increase your match damage in opponent's team strongest colour by up to 150%. 

Moving on to the differences, Killmonger creates 1 trap tile per turn when the opponent didn't fire a power. This could potentially create trouble for some of your teammates who create special tiles specifically on blue, yellow or green basic tiles. Secondly, your trap tiles can be overwritten when you are dealing with opponent special tiles spammers. 

Deadpool has a red stun that could potentially loop forever, but it requires someone who can shift specific tiles or create red tiles like Prof X or Storm. Killmonger can create 2 critical tiles which helps his passive ability. If you can team him up with someone who can reduce match damage significantly like BRB/Kitty or someone who can true heal, letting enemy match critical tiles is totally worth it. Imagine they make a critical match dealing 1 damage to you, and you deal 28823 damage back to them. Killmonger's Penance Stare is close to 30000%. 

But you have to wait till you champ them. since you are not in 5* territory, you are likely to meet a lot of Karnaks. Both Deadpool and Killmonger can deal with him. With the 4* meta shifting to Polaris/R4G, Deadpool is a better bet.

Personally, I like Killmonger more than Deadpool.

• Jacklag
    It depends on your playstyle and who else you use frequently. I see some similarities between these two.

Firstly, Killmonger also have Penance Stare like ability when the opponent match a critical tile and they have fewer than 5 red ap. This requires you to take damage just like how Penance Fare requires you to take damage, but you will deal back 300% or more damage back to the opponent. This percentage will fluctuate based on the opponent's level, match damage and critical multiplier. The only thing is Penace Fare has additional effects like destroying tiles, creating a CD or dealing random damage to non-target opponent.

Secondly, Deadpool steals 1 ap when you match tiles in the target's strongest colour, whereas Killmonger increase your match damage in opponent's team strongest colour by up to 150%. 

Moving on to the differences, Killmonger creates 1 trap tile per turn when the opponent didn't fire a power. This could potentially create trouble for some of your teammates who create special tiles specifically on blue, yellow or green basic tiles. Secondly, your trap tiles can be overwritten when you are dealing with opponent special tiles spammers. 

Deadpool has a red stun that could potentially loop forever, but it requires someone who can shift specific tiles or create red tiles like Prof X or Storm. Killmonger can create 2 critical tiles which helps his passive ability. If you can team him up with someone who can reduce match damage significantly like BRB/Kitty or someone who can true heal, letting enemy match critical tiles is totally worth it. Imagine they make a critical match dealing 1 damage to you, and you deal 28823 damage back to them. Killmonger's Penance Stare is close to 30000%. 

But you have to wait till you champ them. since you are not in 5* territory, you are likely to meet a lot of Karnaks. Both Deadpool and Killmonger can deal with him. With the 4* meta shifting to Polaris/R4G, Deadpool is a better bet.

Personally, I like Killmonger more than Deadpool.

Very good analysis. I think I agree with the final part, I already deal well with Karnak with Juggernaut/R&G, but Polaris/R&G will soon turn into a problem. Deadpool it is.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    I agree with the sentiment that neither are meta and both are skippable. But I like comparing characters so will do my breakdown anyway.

Killmonger is probably better head to head. But Deadpool is more unique. And in a tier that’s pushing 50 characters I will usually choose the latter. If most of what you bring to the table is done by others, I get less excited about chasing (I say “less excited” because I chase everyone regardless). 

Killmonger’s most unique characteristic is his black passive.  It is awesome when the enemy hits one of those soul crushing cascades and you reclaim a bit of your footing when they are punished for matching crits. But the power often does a whole lot of nothing and (as has been discussed in other threads), the whole locking/unlocking thing is not as good as originally thought- and can often be helpful to the enemy. 

Aside from the unreliable passive, he’s a solid two-nuke character who is somewhat boring- similar to Havok. Though the best comparison is 5* Parker. Both have hard hitting reds that spam crits, and both have a second nuke.  Spidey’s is fueled by webs (which he makes).  Killy’s is fueled by traps (which he makes).

Deadpool isn’t the straightforward beat stick Killy is, but is more of a support/defensive hybrid character.  

Deadpool’s red is similar to Killmonger in that it’s great, but the tier is already stacked with awesome red abilities.  And neither of the “extra stuff” are exactly unique to the tier. Ghost Rider stuns on red and (as mentioned) Spidey spams crits on red. Though Pool’s red and entire kit are a much bigger upgrade over Ghost Rider (read: he’s not a liability) than Killmonger is over 5* Parker. So there’s that. 
    Deadpool’s blue is a way better passive than Killmonger’s black for sure. Free AP, AP denial, and boostable passive damage for matching the right color? Pretty awesome. It also will trigger a lot more and be either something to chase or something that’s “nice if it happens”. 
    Finally, black is maybe my favorite power off the strength of how cheap it is.  I know that detractors say you have to take damage to deal damage and that isn’t ideal, but you can pair him with other characters that can absorb hits and heal to mitigate that. Daredevil, Heimdall, Loki, and Phoenix for example. And even if you don’t pair him with a true healer. His cheap black means until he dies, he’s never out of the fight and can pretty much one shot someone if he’s on the ropes himself. That’s a dangerous power to be floating around out there when trying to finish a fight. 
    Basically because Deadpool’s passive and black ability are like nothing we’ve seen in the 5* tier, I’d vote Deadpool. 
    Plus... Spicy tokens! Sure you can get them with a single cover Deadpool in Deadpool’s Daily or trivial PVE nodes, but, having the option to win PVP matches with a champed Pool just gives more options there as well. Nice bonus when looking at the two characters and deciding who is more worth it.