Adventures with 5* Wasp.

Mr_F
Mr_F Posts: 676 Critical Contributor
edited September 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
I love Wasp. She is my one of my favourite Marvel's characters. I mean I have few more and whatever.

I am a 4* player, transitioning to full 4* play as I from time to time am forced to use boosted 3* too. I go lucky with 5* Storm covers (7 so far +3 from shards). Not long ago I pulled my 1st 5* Wasp cover. Blue, to be specific. And I said to myself "Lets make her my very 1st 5* champion". Some asked why... some speculated "cause Its driven by her being worst 5* and you [that s me] like going off meta". Well, the answer is:

1. She is female.
2. She is Wasp one of my fan favourite in Marvel.
3. She is the only female 5* character I consider a fan favourite. Well... there is Kitty too, but she is meta and I try going off meta if I can.
4. The fact that is the worst 5* make it even spicier and makes me even more to chase her.

So when I  got 5* cover from my last bonused 5* two days ago I switched to Wasp and my Adventure with 5* Wasp started. Still, getting 4* champed is bigger priority so I do not chase Squirrell Girl and Ant Man - the direct and non-direct Wasp feeders yet and not anything soon. Still have 61 4* to champ to go. But that make it even more challenging. Like "how long it will take to champ 5* without feeders".

I brought her into fight today starting my Adventures of 5* Wasp and will keep uing her as much as possible without hindering the time, rewards etc. I decided to post it in general dissusion as more players comes here and I think this might be a very interesing and fun project. Hey! Its adventure of using literally the worst 5* there is currently and turn it as much as possible into a success! So lets start!

Current status:
Level 270, 1/0/0, 39 shards,

Here is my 1st, very close attempt to fire Call The swarm in 5e Onslaught node. With only one cover.

After that I go the already cleared wave node and backed her up with  3* Iron Man and Ragnarok as blue batteries and tried to pull it in more suitable enviroment. Before she died I managed to do Call the Swarm 3 times!

Next challenge: fire Call the Swarm with no batteries!

Comments

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Mr_F said:
    Hey! Its adventure of using literally the worst 5* there is currently and turn it as much as possible into a success! 

I'd put 5-star Banner Hulk below her, but I won't argue too hard with that statement.

I use her almost daily as a matter of fact. She's usually Meat Shield #2 for the early SCL10 clears with Thanos and Thor to get him down to half health. Not a good purpose, mind you...but a purpose nonetheless.

I have managed to pull off Call to Swarm twice in wave nodes, so I wish you luck in your endeavors!
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    i respect your desire to use 5 star Wasp. Hopefully they will fix her in the future and make her viable to reward your patience
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Rather than attempt to talk you out of it, I’ll just point you to my own adventure trying to have Jessica Jones be my first 5* and ending up with Ghost Rider: Robby Reyes get there first. Took about a year back when all we had were bonus heroes, and America Chavez had no 3* feeder. 

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    5torm seems like she would tic all of those boxes, unless you don’t like her for some reason...
  • Mr_F
    krakenoon said:
    5torm seems like she would tic all of those boxes, unless you don’t like her for some reason...

Sure. But she is usable and I already have team for her and use her. And I am not as much fun of Storm as am of Wasp. Also Wasp is more fun to me. It was really challenging to try to fire her Call The Swarm wth just one Cover.

And yes, partially I want it to be Wasp as she is that bad. And I have only one Cover of her so... ya know. It would be a long term objective. And Yes, eventually I will end with Squirrel Girl and Ant Man bonused to speed up the process.

Also maybe I will find some crazy way of playing her which will makes her a better choice? who knows?
  • Mr_F
    edited September 2020
    Day 2.

Discovery: I have Wasp Gauntlet support. Rank 2, not much help but still.
    Surprise: I have Wasp Shards in shop. To expensive to buy. Sadly.
    Note for future: Wave nodes are currently the only ones where I can do Call the Swarm

Current Status:
    Level 270
    Build: 1/0/0
    Shards: 45
    Swarms Called today: 0
    Total Swarms Called: 3.
    Challenge done: Call the Swarm used with one Cover.
    Challenge in progress: Call the Swarm used without batteries with one cover.

• Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    This thread reminds me of the time I took Bag-Man, 3Pun, and Talos into Combined Arms...
  • qandols
    qandols Posts: 1,160 Chairperson of the Boards
    My Wasp has been sitting at 2/2/1 level 255 for ages. After reading this thread I took heart and leveled her to 330 and took her for a spin. Won't happen again until she is 5e. Has she ever been essential in any event?
  • Mr_F
    edited September 2020
    qandols said:
    My Wasp has been sitting at 2/2/1 level 255 for ages. After reading this thread I took heart and leveled her to 330 and took her for a spin. Won't happen again until she is 5e. Has she ever been essential in any event?

I am glad I made to play her even one game.
    Of course she was essential! At least once since her release:
    Simulator (7/23/18)
    Featured Characters:
    5-Star: Wasp (Hope Van Dyne)
    4-Star: Spider-Woman
    3-Star: Hawkeye (Hawkguy)
    2-Star: Captain America (Steve Rogers)

Progression Rewards:
    4-Star: Spider-Woman - Purple
    3-Star: Hawkeye (Hawkguy) - Black, Purple, Blue
    2-Star: Captain America (Steve Rogers) - Blue, Yellow
    1-Star: Hawkeye (Classic) - Red

Placement Rewards: 
    4-Star: Spider-Man (Infinity War) - Blue, Red, Green
    3-Star: The Hulk (Indestructible) - Green, Red, Black
    2-Star: Black Widow (Original) - Purple, Black, Blue

Alliance Placement Rewards: 
    4-Star: Spider-Man (Infinity War) - Green
    3-Star: The Hulk (Indestructible) - Green
    2-Star: Black Widow (Original) - Purple, Black
    1-Star: Iron Man (Model 35) - Red

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    Okay, I've never seen MPQ in another language.  Cool.  Neat to see.

Nice to see the grind done with them... on SCL 7, right?

Also, I think it's very appropriate that you changed your profile icon.  :wink:
  • Mr_F
    edited September 2020
    Its SL8  judging from easy nodes characters level. Definetly not CL7 in which I play.

And also I did not changed the icon. I started using one! Beroe the one with lv 270 Wasp I had none here. The Icon witll change while i will level her up.

Random thought: will my roster survive long enough to get progression shards is SCL 10... Just in case she will be Essential. I know I can survive SCL8, never did higher.

And also: I stating of thinkg about PVP team for her. Like, druring transition, something like 5* Wasp +2x 4*. Of coure not before she will be at least 1+/1+/1+. I really wpuld like more of her than Proff X I got lastly. Might be good idea to stack some CP in case of ne characters stroe with her inside.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Seems like old-timey Bishop was your previous best play to build that blue for swarm calling, now I guess Vulture is the best for that? 

If you really want to try and game up a dud team, her Black will start spamming out Swarm tiles passively anytime she is healed for more than ~1600pts (at level 255 - does this scale up as you level her?). So i just tried to run my Champed Rescue/BRB/3/2/2 Wa5p team in a PVE vs Kraven/Teisatsu/Teisatsu (470) and that was a horrible plan vs that team specifically. The premise was that BRB leads off with tile spam that triggers Rescue's passive heal that's just above the Wa5p threshold, but the problem is that she needs to have taken enough damage to be healed for that amount for it to do anything. And she died, so I wasn't able to call any swarms. I'll try it again against a different team, see if it was just the Kraven factor, but something like that might be fun for you. I guess you could replace BRB with 4ocket. It would be neat if Polaris could mulitply the swarm tiles, but i suspect she doesn't.
  • Mr_F
    edited September 2020
    My roster (last time updated 3 days ago - I'm trying to update it once a week). That might be helpfull.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Tried another novelty AP generating scheme on the next node, and it didn’t work: Valkyrie/GE Doom/Wa5p

the thought is Doom has a cheap heal on that Yellow and tanks blue he can’t use. His strongest color is yellow, so Bounty Hunter feeds that. 

I tried doing that Fi5k/Loki/Thug (450) node, and it didn’t work. I did discover that Fi5k’s black CD defends everyone on the team from Mach damage though, not just himself, which I hadn’t realized.
  • Mr_F
    That is why it is challenging to find her a team. Maybe I will dif something up.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Mr_F said:
    That is why it is challenging to find her a team. Maybe I will dif something up.
    We are all finding it hard to find teams for her because she is at best the second worst character in the tier, maybe the bottom 10 characters in the whole game lol. Even if we could reliably call the swarm, it's not a good power
  • Mr_F
    All I want is to find a team she can be decent with to keep enjoying playing with her. Cant help the fact that after using her with one blue cover I find out that I enjoy playing her. That's all. And because I do not chase top places so it is not a problem for me to be beaten in PVP as PVE wont be a problem.

Not every character will be meta/mighty/super strong/whatever. But every can be enjoyable. She is to me. Luckily.
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 622 Critical Contributor
    Try her with 4*Carnage and Medusa! :)  They fill out the missing colors -- Wasp will tank her own colors, take damage, and get healed-up by Medusa when matching friendly special tiles created by Carnage -- triggering her create-a-swarm-tile-when-healed passive (depending on the level of Wasp or Medusa, as those threshholds will vary).
  • Mr_F
    edited September 2020
    Not a good idea as Carnage's green and Medusa's Purple might destroy her Swarm tiles. I will try some teams when I get at least one cover per power. Currently I only have blue only.
    Day 3 summary.
    Discovery: She is strong enough to defeat thanos in Infinty Pursuit PVE.
    Surprise: And I got 30 blue as random full AP color boost in that PVE.
    Note for future: And Thanos destroyed my CD and swarm tiles. Sadly.

Current Status:
    Level 270
    Build: 1/0/0
    Shards: 66
    Swarms Called today: 0
    Total Swarms Called: 3.
    Challenges done: Call the Swarm used with one Cover.
    Challenges in progress: Call the Swarm used without batteries with one cover. Call the Swarm used without batteries with one cover in non wave node.
    Presence in offers: 2 in shards store.

• Painmonger
    Painmonger Posts: 147 Tile Toppler
    If you need someone else to heal her without tanking or reducing incoming damage, maybe Anti-Venom would work?