New Event Formats? Or anything at all?

Wolfteeth
Wolfteeth Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
edited September 2020 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Things are getting very stale with this game- yes it’s great we have an onslaught of all these new card sets but nothing to really do with them.  The new events are lazy and repetitive, the node objectives are boring and never change and sometimes don’t even work with the mechanics of those sets.  The last exiting thing we’ve had was the Daxos vs Kalemne event.  

Each set comes with such a cool story that you could build such fun challenges and events around.  We’ve been teased with new event formats in the works for over a year now and nothing.  Are there any updates? Is this just how it’s going to be? You all are constantly trying to get people to drop money on this game but it seems totally pointless to invest in a game that really doesn’t want to expand or do anything new, creative or exciting.  

Comments

• Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    This sounds like a good topic to submit for the October Q&A!
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    jtwood said:
    Wolfteeth said:
     You all are constantly trying to get people to drop money on this game but it seems totally pointless to invest in a game that really doesn’t want to expand or do anything new, creative or exciting.  
    In my craziest dreams, they are low-key revamping the entire app from scratch so they aren't stuck with the awful limitations put in place by their predecessors.
    Yep! I've stopped playing , but keep checking in hoping for a major overhaul or reset to the repetitive format. The game is too easy , tedious and overpriced with the current rotation of sets and bugs. Pay for digital cards only to go to Legacy full of loops and Omni. I can't continue with any conviction when the game has no safety net if it were to go under at any moment.
  • Keyler
    Keyler Posts: 41 Just Dropped In
    edited September 2020
    Wolfteeth said:
    Things are getting very stale with this game- yes it’s great we have an onslaught of all these new card sets but nothing to really do with them.  The new events are lazy and repetitive, the node objectives are boring and never change and sometimes don’t even work with the mechanics of those sets.  The last exiting thing we’ve had was the Daxos vs Kalemne event.  

Each set comes with such a cool story that you could build such fun challenges and events around.  We’ve been teased with new event formats in the works for over a year now and nothing.  Are there any updates? Is this just how it’s going to be? You all are constantly trying to get people to drop money on this game but it seems totally pointless to invest in a game that really doesn’t want to expand or do anything new, creative or exciting.  
    I fully subscribe everything you have said.
    At least a year ago (January 30th, 2019) they said that they were going to incorporate the Seasons (https://d3go.com/details-on-the-new-content-featured-in-3-2-and-mtgpqs-future-updates/) , and that it would be incredible, with new daily events to choose from (all very nice but empty words), they put the worst event in the history "role reversal", I don't know anybody who likes it, they modified the levels of the players to create a fairier system of pairings (empty words, still you can be paired vs a 60th level pw with your 15th one). We have a new set of cards every three months with more than 100 cards that no one is going to use unless they have just started in the game, which would be a lot of fun to use if we had a draft or sealing event, as well as a Very funny and entertaining way to start knowing the new cards that come out in each set, but for any unknown reason incorporating something different and very funny to play that already works in the original game or in Magic Arena (and I even know people who only play draft and sealing) does not seem to be interesting for developers.
    I love this game even with its multiple bugs, the frustration that the AI generates absurd amounts of mana and gem combinations (dropping 4, 5 or even a whole row of same color gems after a single match), the turns in which You don't have any mana on the board and the AI gets 40 mana doing a simple match ... The truth is that I was very excited when they announced the seasons but apparently they are simply repeating the same events and objectives over and over again (we are playing Rising Tensions 2 YEARS consecutively) just like you have commented.
    There are so many possibilities: Events where you don´t need to kill the opponent to win but simply fulfill some objective, (win 80 life for example), (cast no costly restricted 30 spells)... At the end we play against an AI and not against another real player, the fun must be on the player's side. More freshness is needed in the game and hopefully the developers are thinking about it, especially I think it would make a lot of good for the game to finally incorporate some sealed events.
    Even if it seems that I am only complaining about everything, I try to be constructive and that is only to convey some discomfort due to the lack of evolution of the game and explain some ideas that in my opinion would make the game more varied and enjoyable.
    Greetings to all and Thanks for reading
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    madwren said:
    What I really don't understand is why they just gave up on Story mode altogether... I remember when the Zendikar story mode came out. It was very challenging content at the time..but I enjoyed having some sort of individual progression not tied to events.  I would just adore if they could like, replicate the actual lore of each MTG set with a series of battles and descriptive text.  

Go through the War of the Spark!  Highlight some of the battles and allegiances! Give us fixed planeswalkers! Anything. There's so much you could do with an active Story mode..
    Seriously.  A new story mode is something we've been asking for since Zendikar.
    And considering Oktagon has come out with kinda-sorta-story mode events quite a bit lately, I see no reason that they can't just make more Story mode content.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    +1 to story mode, there's so little story interaction that sometimes I actually forget that this game is actually connected to mtg lore
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    Tbh in the short term they could just put an achievement against completing story mode with each walker (a badge or prizes or whatever) that would be something.....
  • Wolfteeth
    Wolfteeth Posts: 125 Tile Toppler
    Avahad said:
    Tbh in the short term they could just put an achievement against completing story mode with each walker (a badge or prizes or whatever) that would be something.....
    That would be awesome. At this point I’d take anything.  It’s the same events over and over again.  It’s getting old quick. 
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards

Another easy addition would be all the PvE events, except they'd have the storymode rewards instead of the PvE rewards.  Then newer players could practice on the storymode events in preparation for the rotating PvE events, which would give some purpose to return to storymode after completing the initial rewards 
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    The last story they did was Battle for Zendikar. So if they were going to do a new one, it would make sense to continue the story with Zendikar Rising. 
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 461 Mover and Shaker
    critman said:
    For Heroic levels include 1 or 2 permanents that Greg would start with in play to make them extra difficult.
    It'd take a little bit of programming but I'd love to see some Heroic levels that were more like puzzles than proper fights. Opponent starts with an indestructible Hixus on the board and a deck full of life gain, the optional objective is "win in 10 turns or less", stuff like that.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Great news, guys, we have Rise of Adventure now, and we get the exciting "Match 24+ gems" objective. I'm sure that's guaranteed to work perfectly. 
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    madwren said:
    Great news, guys, we have Rise of Adventure now, and we get the exciting "Match 24+ gems" objective. I'm sure that's guaranteed to work perfectly. 
    I think it won't be as bad as that: with all the lands and land tokens it'll be a cinch for a two or three color PW

• madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Well, there was a problem with conversion gems not counting, and I'm not sure if they fixed it.

But even if they did fix it, we have no guarantee it won't rebreak.