**** Negasonic Teenage Warhead (Modern) ****

Comments

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    jp1 said:
    Her ST left me feeling underwhelmed. I’m sure Emma didn’t help. I never managed to unleash Pickle Rick though, maybe that’s her killer power.

Same. I got a board full of Emma's colors and it took a long time to win (virtually match damaged them to death). I got off her Red twice, Green once and Yellow once. Red at least did some damage the 2nd time because by then I had a few charged tiles for the extra damage. But this battle tells me she is going to be super slow unless you have a board full of her colors (or a battery) and no other outlet for them (and there are of course so many better Red and Green outlets).
    She seems so meh that I worry about winning the Shield Training node vs Riri/Mockingbird/Bot (other than whaling it).
    Of the 100ish characters in 4* land she may or may not be in the bottom 10 (depending on how you rate characters) but she absolutely is in anyone's bottom 20 list.
    KGB
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    After the first run in "Introducing" I think she is quite underwhelming.  Her true healing is significantly worse than X-23 (less healing, fewer colors), and it's not like X-23 is treated as an essential 4* tank these days. 
    And outside of true healing, she is straight up bad.  her green does pitiful damage, and then requires additional action to generate charged tiles.  Her red is too expensive and/or needed a much higher cap than 6 destroyed tiles.  9ap for ~8k damage is less efficient than several other non-contingent powers, and much much worse than the high quality contingent abilities that cost less (e.g., black cat green, namor purple, torch red, karnak blue, etc).  Her yellow is not much more useful than sandman's purple, and is also riskier because it may leave charged tiles for the enemy.  I just don't see many circumstance where I would rely on this character for much of anything.  maybe to make lots of charges tiles, but I would probably rather use any number of others to do that (bb, storm, Gambit, 4* Thor, lockjaw, etc).  I think worthy might be more useful for that purpose even post-nerf.
  • zonatahunt
    zonatahunt Posts: 250 Mover and Shaker
    She’s a slam-dunk horrible release.  I simply can’t get past how bad her artwork is.  The artwork has progressively been getting worse and worse, but my goodness her artwork is simply putrid.  If any devs read this thread, please take note with how many peeps think the artwork is spiraling the drain.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    The artwork is not great. Even her powers are "blurry something happened maybe a headbutt?". Yes...I still have animations on...but maybe not for much longer if Nega is the gold standard moving forward...
  • Anon
    Anon Posts: 1,455 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    Yeah NTW is gimmicky as hell and Emma still sucks.

I mean if you're trying to show her off, at least team her with Lady Thor or Lockjaw or something.
  • DAZ0273
    Not to take this off topic but why has @zonatahunt's comment been flagged?
    1.) They are entitled to their opinion/feedback
    2.) The post is relevant to the topic
    3.) Other posters have expressed similar views (*cough* *cough* Ahem)
    4.) The language used does not appear to contravene forum rules
    Obviously beauty is in the eye of the beholder and one players "spiralling the drain" is another players Sparkly Unicorn but can we not flag OPINIONS, please. If you disagree, then you can state why and if you care to do so argue the point. Flagging posts like this one just brings up bad feeling in my opinion on a board that is often (falsely) accused of negativity. This post is pure feedback, if you feel the language used is harsh you can say that rather than suggest the forumite has broken any rules.
    Sorry - so back to Negasonic Teenage Warhead...who decided to team her up with Emma for the Introducing event? Look - if she is really THAT bad don't try and hide it by putting her next to Emma! We aren't falling for it!
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 678 Critical Contributor
    DAZ0273 said:

Sorry - so back to Negasonic Teenage Warhead...who decided to team her up with Emma for the Introducing event? Look - if she is really THAT bad don't try and hide it by putting her next to Emma! We aren't falling for it!
    Its a refference to a comic in which Negasonic appeard for the 1st time. She was a student in Emma's classess on Genosha when Sentinels has decimated whole island. It was the time when Emma's secondary mutation of diamond skin has appeared for the 1st time.

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited September 2020
    ....yikes.  So much negative feedback for NTW.

...but I can't fight the complaints either.  

All I can think of it MAYBE we've seen enough charge tile work via Black Bolt and St5rm that the 5* tier has us looking at the her all wrong...?  Maybe?

I DID see one thing with her that caught my attention, and it's not the true healing.  That little bit of board shake she supplies for matching charge tiles might come in handy.  One of my matches had it actually destroy an enemy CD tile -- which was surprising when I've seen so many instances of just basic tile destruction.

So, maybe with some other charge tile producers, getting a cascade of charge tile matchers could do something fun?  

I'm just trying to stay positive for a moment -- not judging her just by the Emma appearance (which I didn't have a problem with, honestly)... I knew going in that Emma was just support for her... and wouldn't really help her too much, outside of maybe taking a few hits and maybe providing a strike tile or two, if I'm lucky.
  • DAZ0273
    Mr_F said:
    DAZ0273 said:

Its a refference to a comic in which Negasonic appeard for the 1st time. She was a student in Emma's classess on Genosha when Sentinels has decimated whole island. It was the time when Emma's secondary mutation of diamond skin has appeared for the 1st time.

Well there is that I guess!
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    She seems like the type of character I'd have liked to attempt to play as a 4* player, I used to be really invested in bad or unpopular characters finding a use. I've come to the realization bad characters can really only shine against other bad characters though.

The characters with art I don't love in this game really run the gamut from "good digital paint/rendering but really off-putting proportions" like 4* Iceman and Invisible Woman to stuff like this one that's like "decent proportions and design but low-polish on the digital painting," which could be fixed.

Sorry to the artist, I don't mean to bag on you. It's just that all the details feel soft, and the rim lighting effect on her head and shoulders feels like a layer effect more than actual lighting, and actually kind of feels like it's serving to flatten out the image to me. Hope that's constructive.
  • DAZ0273
    The artwork also feels more stylised than a lot of previous MPQ stuff. Maybe a more cartoonish interpretation? I dunno - I was looking at Havok as a reference and his artwork feels much more on spec with MPQ stuff. The palate on NTW just seems more muted.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    There’s also M4rvel’s artwork...
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    Playing SCL9 in Simulator, she was vaguely annoying in the 5E with BB and LadyThor.  She was more annoying then dangerous but she seemed to be doing swaps and cascades almost every turn.
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
    Using solo wave nodes in the Introducing event is the worst way one could introduce chars.

Use chars that make their kit or uniqueness shine, not wittle down enemies with match damage cause their AP cost requires a lot to down 9+ enemies.

If you need to follow a story arc at least power up the char in a way that makes it exciting. And then, if you really focus on the story, use larger readable panels. Or remember you have those intro panels before a match that could be populated. Of all new chars I never understood any of their story with the current implementation.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    That fight took SO long, but I’m kind of revising my opinion of her as a board shaker. She may have a use with 5* teams.
  • DAZ0273
    The Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D event showed her off much better, she is solid and has a number of viable team mates.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I was wondering if we match Neganoic fortified CD tile, is it considered match for the purpose of creating x charged tiles? And the answer is "Yes". Potentially, we could create a lot of charged tiles on the board.

In 5* land, here are the characters whose abilities are related to charged tiles:
    Gambit, Cable, Starlord, Storm, Silver Surfer.  

Her 5* partner in Shield Training is Storm. Both of them have yellow and green powers. I used Riri and 3* Gambit and it was fun. The constant destroying of tiles when matching/destroying charged tiles can be as annoying as 5* Carnage putting out his special tiles one at a time though.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    The Welcome to S.H.I.E.L.D event showed her off much better, she is solid and has a number of viable team mates.
    Like most support-focused characters, she is definitely better in team matches. But I still feel like she is pretty mediocre.  She is reasonably good at making charged tiles, but only AFTER she gets a bunch of ap.  So that means she mostly needs a battery or a passive tile generator like bb or Gambit to get her started.  A support character that needs another support character to provide ideal support is not terribly exciting.  And her red damage should cap much higher.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    @HoundofShadow
    I think the answer is yes, but I haven’t checked it yet. It is worth noting that she can have multiple countdowns on the board at the same time.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards

In 5* land, here are the characters whose abilities are related to charged tiles:
    Gambit, Cable, Starlord, Storm, Silver Surfer.  
    Hawkeye, Black Bolt, Havok