Can this please be the last time for Combined Arm / Balance of Power...

supergarv
supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
... without us getting roster presets?

The event could be so much fun if it didnt take longer to compose nice teams than to make a match. Browsing through dozens of pages with a sorting that seems simply random is fighting a fight that shouldnt even be there.

kthxbye

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Combined arms should filter by tier at minimum as you are choosing the 4,3,2. It takes what should be a super fun opportunity to use lower tier character teams and turns it into an infinite scroll as I dig through 210 characters looking for this one or that one.
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    These are my absolute favorites I wish every one of them was a derivation of them. It infuriates the whales who bully 4* and lower players because it’s actually about using intelligence and strategy to devise the ultimate team to compete with others . This is how the game should be , using a full roster . 
      It also infuriates those who play primarily  to collect because of their roster size , while those who play primarily to win have no problem scrolling and finding good teams because their available roster is limited to a few dozen useful characters. I would be disappointed to never see these formats again . 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    [...]It infuriates the whales who bully 4* and lower players [...]
    I'm really not sure how often that's happening. targeted punch-down bullying that is. The game serves you up opponents based on your roster strength, if they're worth points, you hit them. I've never spent $1 on this game in the 169X days i've been playing, but I have 16 5* characters and so now I'm only served up high level opponents in PVP. 

I like these events BECAUSE they give me a chance to flex my roster, but even though i only have 1x of every character, that's still 210 characters I have to scroll through that aren't sorted in the usual way by name, star tier, or anything, so it is VERY inconvenient for me to construct "the ultimate team" to combat my opponent. 

Other events and nodes have allowable character sorting built in, it would be nice if these did also.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    I LOVE THESE EVENTS.  I hope the devs don't just read the title and say "Welp, get rid of those PvPs!"  :(

I agree on needing filters and favorites, though.  Would help a lot.  

Which, btw, does anyone else do this?  Combined Arms.  Scroll through looking for a 4* to start/base the team on... and you have it in your head what you wanna do, but you're scrolling ... and bam, you see another one, and you're like "NEW IDEA"... and you start scrolling for them.... and you see another -- BAM, NEW IDEA! -- scroll some more, looking for that one... rinse repeat

So, yeah.  I went to do ONE fight, and I ended up with 5 team ideas, all different.  And wishing there were filters, so I could just get to what I wanted, instead of distracting MYSELF with new ideas.  :tongue:
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yeah, a sort by rarity tier would take this event from a C+ to an A for me.  I don't mind horsing around with new teams for this event.  The new team/synergy element is its most appealing aspect.

But needing to click, click, click to find the people you want...  And, while a relatively minor complaint, I'm so used to seeing my regular order based on level that now that it's alphabetical, people are all sorts of jumbled up.  I get bored trying to find the right person.

And while I enjoy goofing around with this event...  I'll never, ever use a shield in it.  Fights just take way too long for my type of competitive play.
  • Dormammu
    Dormammu Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    ...does anyone else do this?  Combined Arms.  Scroll through looking for a 4* to start/base the team on... and you have it in your head what you wanna do, but you're scrolling ... and bam, you see another one, and you're like "NEW IDEA"... and you start scrolling for them.... and you see another -- BAM, NEW IDEA!
    You just basically described my last 3 days in MPQ.

Though, the only team to do anything on defense was Chavez/Hood/Fishnets.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    [...]It infuriates the whales who bully 4* and lower players [...]
    I'm really not sure how often that's happening. targeted punch-down bullying that is. The game serves you up opponents based on your roster strength
    Not to mention that this is clearly the experience the developers want the players to have. If they wanted to avoid match making that was felt to be unbalanced or targeted then they'd put an end to it, and to date they have not.
  • daltonimperial
    daltonimperial Posts: 6 Just Dropped In
    While it could be improved/does require tedious scrolling, the sorting system as is seems relatively basic: for Combined Arms, it was organized by Level, regardless of stars.  Balance of Power seems to be everyone alphabetical, so, Captain America Infinity War would be a spot or three before Captain America Super Solider, while Carnage would be a bunch of slots ahead of Venom.  If my impression is correct, I'm not sure "random" is the best way to describe something that still should be addressed and seemingly could be done so.

A filter for Combined Arms seems relatively simple, with (for example) 2-stars on the left (so when you click on the left slot, only the 2-stars show up, with everyone else/ineligible characters shifted to the bottom/X'd out, like in DDQ), 3-stars on the right, and 4-stars in the middle.  I'm sure there's some strategic value to having a particular character you want in the middle for defense, but I think most people would take that tradeoff if they could build their offensive teams more quickly.

But what's a simple filter (i.e. something short of being able to star/favorite characters/teams or search by name/color, like jumping to Venom by typing in "ven") for Combined Arms?
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    @daltonimperial

I believe what most people have been pining for around here is a Favorite option.  Done much like targeting someone for shards, but this merely puts them at the top/front of your list when it comes to fights.

Another option I've seen is an extra menu where you would pick a team, and save it.  Then, when a fight pops up, you can still choose your characters, or click the newly made drop-down menu and select a team that you've pre-made.  This would (of course) auto-populate the characters of that team into their respective spots for your fight.

The ability to do things like this would speed up not just Combined Arms or Balance of Power, but ALL fights.  I know there's more than just ME who has that given fight they do EVERY DAY where 3* DP is part of the line-up, just to grab those points.  You gotta scroll through to select him, but if you're like me, you know the amount of taps it takes to get there!  That's pretty ridiculous.  

I, for one, already know at least 5 teams I'd save in such a feature, because they are my go-to, most commonly used teams.  This isn't to say that I don't like to experiment... but if I need to get things done, I know who I'm picking for each occasion.
  • SnowcaTT
    SnowcaTT Posts: 3,486 Chairperson of the Boards
    Combined Arms still somewhat interesting/fun.

I started to abandon hope for BoP when the level was raised to 550. It's a nightmare to churn through that health level -every- -single- -match-. If 5*'s were 'reduced' to 370, it would be so much better.

I've been saying "no, thanks" for the last several BoP and hitting progressions anyway. Not this time. Nope, thanks 4 realz. 4*'s have gotten out of hand, the power creep is ridiculous for it now and the slog is ridiculous.
  • ZootSax
    ZootSax Posts: 1,819 Chairperson of the Boards
    SnowcaTT said:

I started to abandon hope for BoP when the level was raised to 550. It's a nightmare to churn through that health level -every- -single- -match-. If 5*'s were 'reduced' to 370, it would be so much better.

I've been saying "no, thanks" for the last several BoP and hitting progressions anyway. Not this time. Nope, thanks 4 realz. 4*'s have gotten out of hand, the power creep is ridiculous for it now and the slog is ridiculous.
    I really wish BoP dropped every character to Level 1, honestly.  
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    oh Man, you got me. 

I was coming in swinging "don't take this away! I love these off seasons because they're actually different... Oh, yea that's a great idea.
  • acescracked
    acescracked Posts: 1,197 Chairperson of the Boards
    These are my absolute favorites I wish every one of them was a derivation of them. It infuriates the whales who bully 4* and lower players because it’s actually about using intelligence and strategy to devise the ultimate team to compete with others . This is how the game should be , using a full roster . 
      It also infuriates those who play primarily  to collect because of their roster size , while those who play primarily to win have no problem scrolling and finding good teams because their available roster is limited to a few dozen useful characters. I would be disappointed to never see these formats again . 
    So "whales" aren't intelligent & don't know how to strategize? Interesting.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I am neither a 5* player nor a whale but I have 240 characters rostered as I have a sort of half 3* farm going, so anything remotely linked to what @supergarv is referring to would be very useful for me.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    @Michael1957
    I doubt people are as infuriated as you seem to think, just in general. Sign o the Times, I suppose.

While the obvious method of viewing info on your selected x tier character and backing out will take you to their spot in your select screen, there should definitely be a better sorting method for Combined Arms. Please fix roster selection before running this again as player engagement will likely go way up.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    So "whales" aren't intelligent & don't know how to strategize? Interesting.

Well those ones who were heading down that crocodile river in Australia weren't so smart...
  • morgh
    morgh Posts: 539 Critical Contributor
    SnowcaTT said:

3 matches per hop took anywhere from 3 to 6 minutes total. I wouldn't call that a big problem...
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    That post title is quality clickbait, and I agree completely.