Can't cast "discontinuity" on the opponent's turn. [Investigating]

Options
Soycarlovic
Soycarlovic Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
This card has flash as it is meant to be played in your opponent's turn but, since it has a reduced cost of 4 during your turn, every time you pass the turn, the card returns to its original casting cost, meaning it shows as missing 4 mana to cast. 

The only way to cast it during your oponent's turn would be to somehow gain mana during their turn (I'm guessing as I have never been able to cast it that way).

I'm stuck with a mythic card I can only play on my turn, having all the negative effects played on my creatures and cards in hand. 

Not cool.

Tagged:

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I thought this was a clever design, personally. Not sure how to work around this effect, but it seemed like a fun challenge to attempt.
    But it is definitely the worst mythic in the set. I will accept no counterpoints.
  • Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Maybe it was designed with the give-your-opponent-your-mana bug in mind :D
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,280 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Thank you for the feedback!
    This issue is now under investigation.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,612 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Options
    I have managed to cast discontinuity on my opponent’s turn, so it is not flawed.
    It is as usual dependent upon specific cards and/or PW.

My first success involved using Thryx and Teferi MOT. Don’t know if it is competitive, but I’ll play around a bit more. If you do not have Thryx, consider using Tidal Barracuda with Teferi, MOT.
  • Evlv3r
    Evlv3r Posts: 4 Just Dropped In
    Options
    I have same issue. Can’t be cast during opponents turn. It’s kinda frustrating. How is the investigation going Oktagon? 🕵🏻‍♂️
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I’ll be surprised if the response isn’t “working as designed”
  • Hachima
    Hachima Posts: 2 Just Dropped In
    Options
    This is pretty unusable when appropriate and is a poor interpretation of the actual spell.  It shouldn't require a special combo to play during an opponents turn.  At the beginning of your turn this gains 4 would work better.  The actual card is suppose to be cheaper on your turn but that advantage doesn't translate well in MTGPQ so I think a ramping up style would still follow the spirit of the card.
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I'm more interested to know what is the use of this card. Everything it blocks is already done by the time (attack) that you can use it. Or do you just use it as an expensive 'fog' effect?