Patch Notes (08/26/20)

Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards

HEY EVERYONE,

We had a Data Push and all the information you need is below.

Change

• The text and behavior from Bolrac-Clan Crusher (RNA) changed in order to stop its OP interaction with Chandra's Pyreling (M21). From:
"Whenever a creature you control gets buffed, deal 2 damage to your opponent's Planeswalker."

TO

"Whenever a creature you control gets buffed, deal 2 damage to your opponent's Planeswalker. This effect can trigger up to 2 time(s) per turn."

Comments

• Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards

Hi everyone,

As you all already know, we are aware that our Data Push is causing the game to not trigger cards sometimes.
    We already have a fix but we can only apply it on the next game release (4.5).
    We ask you to be patient and, from now on, we're only having Data Push when extremely necessary.

Thank you so much,
    Marcela.
  • Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker

Hi everyone,

As you all already know, we are aware that our Data Push is causing the game to not trigger cards sometimes.
    We already have a fix but we can only apply it on the next game release (4.5).
    We ask you to be patient and, from now on, we're only having Data Push when extremely necessary.

Thank you so much,
    Marcela.
    Thanks, Marcela! I appreciate the transparency on this fix and its timeline.

Will there be an accelerated timeline for v4.5 or should we expect to wait until the release of the next set?
  • ambrosio191
    ambrosio191 Posts: 291 Mover and Shaker
    Generally speaking we get a new game release roughly once a month.  Sometimes it's longer, but not by much.  Game releases are not tied to set releases.
  • boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    @Oktagon_Support

Thanks Marcela for getting this to the top of the priority list!

@critman this one was meta warping, even WotC would ban one of these cards

Also, the data push is related to cards not working. Whenever they do a data push, it messes up things in random ways. You just need to do a hard restart. 

Marcela,

You might want to ask the Dev team to put a function into the data push that prompts the user to restart the app when the data is received, basically do a check before and after a match. 
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    critman said:
    Free players with access to powerful combos? THIS MUST NOT STAND!

Everyone's cards not working? Meh, we'll fix it later.
    This is a really bad take. If this combo was comprised of mythics, you would see people crying about pay to win.
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    I still don't understand how changing a single ability on a single card can mess up something as fundamental as "cards triggering".
     Unless, that is, they accidentally put the "twice per turn" limit on EVERY card instead of just the one (my limited coding knowledge thinks that is possible, depending on how they separate individual cards from general functions.  I'm sure one of the computer nerds here will correct me if I'm wrong)
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    critman said:
    jtwood said:
    critman said:

This is a really bad take. If this combo was comprised of mythics, you would see people crying about pay to win.
    And... they'd be right to!
    This makes negative sense.
    Rarity is irrelevant here. The combo is warping and degenerate regardless of how accessible it is. It needed to go, and any comments on the cards' rarities just ignores the common denominator that the combo is an instant-win with very narrow answers. Those attributes deserve resolution, and rarity has nothing to do with the discussion.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    So how bad is the actual fallout from this data push?
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    jtwood said:
    critman said:
    jtwood said:
    critman said:

And... they'd be right to!
    This makes negative sense.
    Rarity is irrelevant here. The combo is warping and degenerate regardless of how accessible it is. It needed to go, and any comments on the cards' rarities just ignores the common denominator that the combo is an instant-win with very narrow answers. Those attributes deserve resolution, and rarity has nothing to do with the discussion.
    I think the point is that the devs are much quicker to "fix" busted combos and cards when they are lower rarity then they are with more premium cards.  This combo was two uncommons, so it got patched immediately (so immediately that it broke a bunch of other stuff, apparently).  Cycling needed a couple rares and mostly commons and it didn't get fixed until it rotated to Legacy.  Omni and its enablers have literally never changed as they are all rare+.  Song and its enablers are probably not going anywhere because they are rare+.

A reasonable person might say that is because uncommons are easy to get and so the combos with them would be more prevalent.  A cynical person might say that is because if you have OP rare+ cards to chase you are more likely to spend money to get them.  The truth is probably a little of both.

Or maybe he's just being snarky and I'm reading too much into this?  I do do that sometimes.
    Not like any of this discussion matters, since Oktagon (and WoTC to be fair) seem unable to stop themselves from printing stupidly overpowered cards and combos.  *sigh*
  • LoboX01
    LoboX01 Posts: 56 Match Maker
    Song of Creation is an extremely powerful card, no question about it.

Is there any single card alone in Standard that together with Song can give me insta-win if I have both on the board? Because that's what we were looking at with Bolrac+Pyreling.

Just thinking out loud, maybe that was the reason they wanted to address it quick, and not because the cards were uncommon.
  • Ampersand
    Ampersand Posts: 206 Tile Toppler
    This is so simple. The Bolrac- Pyreling combo was an infinite loop death combo that was not intended and was able to be remedied with a data push.
    The other broken cards have more complex interactions that can't be fixed until a patch update.
    Song of Creation isn't OP or broken, it's just really good and enables many different combos and strategies. Just because one person anecdotally claims to see it "in every deck" is not a reason to change a card that is strong but balanced.
  • Nalthazar
    Nalthazar Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
    Mburn7 said:
    I think the point is that the devs are much quicker to "fix" busted combos and cards when they are lower rarity then they are with more premium cards.  This combo was two uncommons, so it got patched immediately (so immediately that it broke a bunch of other stuff, apparently).  Cycling needed a couple rares and mostly commons and it didn't get fixed until it rotated to Legacy.  Omni and its enablers have literally never changed as they are all rare+.  Song and its enablers are probably not going anywhere because they are rare+.

A reasonable person might say that is because uncommons are easy to get and so the combos with them would be more prevalent.  A cynical person might say that is because if you have OP rare+ cards to chase you are more likely to spend money to get them.  The truth is probably a little of both.

This is definitely not true. The reason for this fix was that it was an infinite combo. Furthermore it was really easy to pull off, requiring only two cards. It was a true infinite combo. Take a look at cards like Eidolon of Blossoms or Vadrox that either got changed themselves or caused other cards to shift to make going infinite either not possible or more difficult. Vadrox's infinite now requires that you freeze a card in your hand, which Greg will not do. While I personally would have liked to see Vadrox changed instead of Chord of Calling, I am still more glad that I don't have to see infinite Vadrox combos in all of my games. Eidolon now disables the card it draws rather than the initially spoiled version that did not. This has absolutely nothing to do with the rarity of the cards and everything to do with them going infinite. I know that there are other ways of going infinite in the game and I wouldn't be surprised to see some of those cards tweaked as well. For players who participated in the last running of RaW, the Bolrac-Clan Crusher and Chandra's Pyreling came up often and were prohibitive.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    @Oktagon_Support - fair enough I haven’t restarted the app on my second device but the app reloaded by itself so I assume that is sufficient to alleviate any data push issues. Or am I wrong?

I ask because I have just finished my first match and several effects did not trigger. Some effects triggered in the first few rounds but then stopped altogether and others never worked.
    All in all this is extremely random what happens from turn to turn. Is that as expected?
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have just experienced this on my primary device, nothing worked besides creatures attack. Luckily, it was in TG, so I didn’t loose any in game currency.

Might I suggest that e-v-e-r-y s-i-n-g-l-e event becomes free to enter from now until the new patch is released? I think that is necessary, since this “bug” is so random and debilitating.