Mono-PW Event?

There have been a lot of new events lately, which we appreciate.  Why not make an event only for mono-colored PW's?  This has been a request for a loooong time.  

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    That sounds fun :smile:
  • Vorazg
    Vorazg Posts: 18 Just Dropped In
    Brilliant!
  • Rasalghul
    Rasalghul Posts: 158 Tile Toppler
    I hope not because it would force players to buy the new monocolor PW to stay competitive. Please don’t do it. Of course now the idea is out of the bag, I’m sure some higher places will be inspired...
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    That's an interesting idea. I'm on board. Seeing Bolas, Sarkhan 3, and Tamiyo on repeat is pretty stale. I'm just as guilty about falling into the trap of using multi colored walkers because of card access.

My only suggestion would be to not make the objectives too restrictive since you're already restricted on available cards. 
  • Opperstamper
    Opperstamper Posts: 142 Tile Toppler
    Count me in too. Would be a nice variety - something really different. Not as an objective tho, make it a restriction (I think that's what TO had in mind), and indeed allow all mono PW's. 
  • Avahad
    Avahad Posts: 296 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2020
    OR have it limited to one particular walker. 
    BUT let every one use that walker at level 60 regardless of whether they own it or not (like duel decks).
    Allow the player to use their own card pool tho- none of that pre-constructed deck rubbish.
    Have the walker on sale throughout the event if people decide they want it they can buy it.
    I would love a reason to dust off some of the walkers that I will never use for any other reason.

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd be game for this.  Many monocolored planeswalkers are fun to play, but are at too heavy of a disadvantage to the tricolored planeswalkers.

We'd probably see a ton of Nissa 3 and Koth, but hey at least it's a little bit more diversity! :)
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    I like the idea!

@FindingHeart8 - I think we will see more diversity if it was an event the included mono-PW and mono-coloured cards. Now that would get the deck-building going!
  • jtwood
    I'd be game for this.  Many monocolored planeswalkers are fun to play, but are at too heavy of a disadvantage to the tricolored planeswalkers.

We'd probably see a ton of Nissa 3 and Koth, but hey at least it's a little bit more diversity! :)
    Lukka is a hell of an alternate option to Koth
  • jtwood
    Tremayne said:
    I like the idea!

@FindingHeart8 - I think we will see more diversity if it was an event the included mono-PW and mono-coloured cards. Now that would get the deck-building going!
    WHOA NOW
    I didn't buy a ticket for this crazy train :D

• Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Let's make it a 5 nodes event: one for each color. That way, we're sure to see other PWs than Koth and NissaWW
    Agreed. Two day event, 3 charges/node at the start of each day?
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    I would change the Archmage objective to: X spells with cost Y or less. For me, blue is not especially the color of big splashy spells, but more the color with a lot of small spells
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    edited August 2020
    critman said:
    I would change the Archmage objective to: X spells with cost Y or less. For me, blue is not especially the color of big splashy spells, but more the color with a lot of small spells
    I picked 'Y or more' because I thought that 'Y or less' would just mean everyone plays their usual combo deck of choice.
    That and you'll still have access to multi colored cards. 11 or more would probably be ideal because it would prevent people running BSZ loops (if it's a legacy event). There's no shortage of blue ramp either.
  • WiLDRAGE
    WiLDRAGE Posts: 145 Tile Toppler
    critman said:
    Firinmahlazer said:

There's no shortage of blue ramp either.
    Yeah, why IS that? Why does blue get better ramp than green?! Urza, Lord High Artificer, in particular, feels like it was printed by Oktagon specifically to be a 'screw you' to the color pie!

https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/making-magic/mechanical-color-pie-2017-2017-06-05
    Blue has gotten ramp historically but it's almost always tied to artifacts and/or instants/sorceries.  Also, the biggest offender of all time was Tolarian Academy which produces blue mana.  A land so busted, it is even banned in EDH/Commander.

Urza, Lord High Artificier is fairly representative of his paper counterpart.   Heck, if anything, we should all be happy they didn't add the equivalent to his activated ability to the game.  The only thing I don't like is that they made his support a Land which makes it too hard to remove given the proclivity of non-land removing supports lately.
  • Gormhaus
    Gormhaus Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
    Please. No more take X amount of damage or win the fight with X or less life. Those objectives are definately my least favorite.

I like using low mana cost blue spells so i agree with heartstone.
  • Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Since Devotion To [color] in this game is the number of mono-color cards cast, a simple goal could be "Devotion to [color] X or higher." This would drive the inclusion of more mono-color cards for those going for full points.
  • greenmeanie
    greenmeanie Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    I'm game.  Lately I've been using more mono color PWS in events anyway.