Rin and Seri exclusive card - what am I missing?

Tremayne
Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
Ok, just saw the exclusive card Rin and Seri creature. It seems incredibly bad!

So I cast RnS which fills one slot, then I cast another cat (or dog) and get the last creature slot filled with a Green cat (or a white dog) and any reinforcements from now on will not generate additional tokens. That seems quite weak.

I suppose it is possible that casting RnS on an empty BF will result in 3 creatures, so in effect you get a 7/7 for 12 mana which is ok I suppose. These creatures can then be pumped up with auras and the like, but I’m not sure this effect triggers on entering the BF.

Can you see a better scenario?

Comments

• Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    If the 3 slots are already filled, Rin and seri should reinforce instead of spawning the tokens.
     Then you have the activate effect that Can grow fast as it counts Rin and seri's reinforcments. (Cat tokens Can grow fast too)
    There's Also a niche interaction with mutated cats that Can be considered.
    I dont imagine this card being superpowerful but there's most probably something to do with it for flavor.
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    This is far from the worst exclusive they have released. I have actually had quite a bit of fun with this card. My favorite use is to have it as the only creature in the deck. Once you have your battlefield creature slots full each cast of Rin and Seri becomes 3 reinforcements. At this point the secondary ability can start to hit hard. I had the activate gem hitting for 23 damage and 23 life gain one match. 

Rin and Seri also work well with my favorite creature in standard, Zirda (zirda is one of my favorite cards in the whole game). 
  • Enygma6
    Enygma6 Posts: 266 Mover and Shaker
    It does look like there is a big disadvantage with Rin and Seri not being able to reinforce either of the creature tokens that it generates.  
    This card is the sole source of White Dog tokens, and there's only one other Green Cat token generator: Jolrael, Mwonvuli Recluse (probably a good one to pair with Rin and Seri if you have it).  

I would suggest that the token creation clause on Rin and Seri get reworded to be like that on Awakening of Vitu-Ghazi, to be along the lines of "if you control 2 or fewer creatures not named [White Dog/Green Cat]" create a token creature.  This would allow Rin and Seri to reinforce the tokens.  
    Rin and Seri wouldn't get as big that way if running in a mono-creature deck, but you'd have more cat and dog reinforcements overall, and the Activate gems would be more effective.
  • Tremayne
    Ok, so it is a 9/9 for 12 mana on the second instance is quite good, somehow that didn’t seem obvious on the first read.
  • Narcoticsagent
    Tremayne said:
    Ok, so it is a 9/9 for 12 mana on the second instance is quite good, somehow that didn’t seem obvious on the first read.
    Not quite. On the first instance its a 3/3. On the second instance its a 3/3 with a cat and dog and then on the third instance your getting the 9/9 assuming you aren't playing any other creatures. And remember they also reinforce everytime you play another cat or dog if the board is full. 
  • Tremayne
    So it maybe fun but easy to control with removal spells.
  • Narcoticsagent
    Tremayne said:
    So it maybe fun but easy to control with removal spells.
    I think its just a fun card to play but its not about to bust open the metagame.  The activate gems ability is surprisingly good though.
  • Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    I myself like to run it (not) spawning any tokens.  It can definitely become quite big.