***** Wolverine (Samurai Daken) *****

IceIX
IceIX ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 4,308 Site Admin
edited September 2020 in Character Details

Wolverine (Samurai Daken)

5-Star Rarity 

Affiliations: Heroes, Mutants

"When Akihiro murdered Wolverine with the Muramasa Blade, its mystical powers sent him back in time to feudal Japan as punishment. Filled with regret, Akihiro saw a chance to change his ways and become a hero. He roamed Japan in his father's name, perfecting his own brand of Iaido that combined the power of blade and claw." 
(Abilities listed at level 255, followed by 450)
15236 Health / 61241 Health
 25 |  225 | 27 |  29 |  175 |  200 |  111 |  4.0x
 97 | 900 | 106 |  114 | 700 |  80 |  445 |  4.0x
Master of Iaido - 8  AP
Wolverine is ever-prepared, watching his opponent's movements for an opening. Remove up to 2 enemy Strike, Attack, or Protect tiles, then deal 364 damage to the enemy. For every special tile removed, create 1 strength 55 Blue Strike tile. (Max level 1465 damage, strength 220 tile)
(PASSIVE) Enemy Strike, Attack and Protect tiles' strength is decreased by 14%.
  • Level 2: Deal 546 damage. (Max level 2198 damage)
  • Level 3: Remove up to 3 tiles.
  • Level 4: Deal 728 damage and create 2 Strike tiles. Enemy special tile strength is reduced by 20%. (Max level 2930 damage)
  • Level 5: Remove up to 4 tiles, deal 1092 damage, and create strength 73 tiles. Enemy special tile strength is decreased by 25%. (Max level 4395 damage, strength 293 tiles)
Lawless Warrior -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) Bushido means nothing to a man who has lost everything. If Wolverine has more than 6 Black AP at the start of his turn, convert 3 Black AP to Red and create 2 2-turn Purple Repeater tiles. If there are 4 or more special tiles on the board when this tile activates, not including the Repeater tiles, deal 911 damage to the target. (Max level 3662 damage)
  • Level 2: Deals 1020 damage. (Max level 4101 damage)
  • Level 3: If there are 3 or more special tiles on the board, deal damage.
  • Level 4: Deals 1239 damage. (Max level 4980 damage)
  • Level 5: If there are 2 or more special tiles on the board, deal 1530 damage. (Max level 6152 damage)
Lethal Fury - 9  AP
Wolverine unleashes his fury, striking out with blade and claw. Destroy 3 Green tiles, and deal 1093 damage. Damage dealt by this power reduces the target's health permanently for the rest of the battle. Tiles destroyed by this ability generate AP. (Max level 4395 damage)
(PASSIVE) If Wolverine has less than 25% of his health, this power becomes Unkillable Ronin.
  • Level 2: Deal 1243 damage (Max level 4998 damage)
  • Level 3: Deal 1393 damage (Max level 5602 damage)
  • Level 4: Deal 1693 damage (Max level 6809 damage)
  • Level 5: Deal 2294 damage (Max level 9223 damage)
Unkillable Ronin -  PASSIVE
(PASSIVE) When his masters have fallen and all else is lost, the unkillable Wolverine remains. If you have at least 4 Green AP at the start of your turn, Wolverine's powerful healing factor kicks in to heal him for 1276 health. (Max level 5127 heal)
If Wolverine has at least 25% of his health, this power becomes Lethal Fury.
  • Level 2: Heals for 1404 health. (Max level 5640 heal)
  • Level 3: Heals for 1531 health. (Max level 6152 heal)
  • Level 4: Heals for 1786 health. (Max level 7172 heal)
  • Level 5: Heals for 2297 health if he has at least 3 Green AP. (Max level 9229 heal)
Dev note: Despite sharing a name with Wolverine, Samurai Daken *is* playable with other versions of Wolverine. He is however, not playable with other versions of Daken.
Release Schedule

Release Events:

Introducing… Wolverine - August 13 - 20
  • Rewards Iso-8 and a Heroic Token
  • Wolverine (Samurai Daken) Shards in Placement rewards
Infinite Pursuit - August 13 - 18
  • Rewards tokens to the Venerable Wolverine Cover Store
Hearts of Darkness - August 17 - 21
  • Wolverine (Samurai Daken) Shards in Progression rewards
Heavy Metal - August 13 - 17
Old Man Shogun - August 16 - 19
  • Rewards tokens to the Venerable Wolverine Cover Store

Offers

Release Cover Store:
Venerable Wolverine Cover Store
  • Chance to get Wolverine (Samurai Daken). Increased chances in 10x and 40x pulls
Special Limited Vault
Akihiro - August 20 - 25
  • 40 Items
    • 1x Samurai Wolverine Legendary Store Token
    • 1x 4-Star <CHARACTER TBD> cover
    • 3x Random 3-Star covers
    • 6x Heroic tokens
    • 4x 2500 Iso
    • 6x 1000 Iso
    • 5x 500 Iso
    • 14x Two stars
Special Legendary Store
Samurai Wolverine Legendary Store (Name not final) - August 20 - 25
  • August 20, 2020, 07:00 – August 25, 2020, 02:00
  • 15% chance to get Wolverine (Samurai Daken), <CHARACTER TBD>, and <CHARACTER TBD>
  • Additional Tokens can be purchased for 25 Command Points

Comments

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Old Man Daken here looks like it's trying to revive Thorkoye and will demolish BRBritty and Gritty teams.
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Wouldn't have expected another Daken, or a 5-star version at that, but I like him better than the other two in the game, so he's got that going for him. 

Question: When did he kill Wolverine? Because we just had a big death and absence and return of Wolverine, but he wasn't killed by Daken for that, was he? The sword is supposed to bypass Logan's healing, but the recent death of Wolverine arc had him lose his healing factor and get suffocated by adamantium, or at least that's what I remembered.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    JHawkInc said:
    Wouldn't have expected another Daken, or a 5-star version at that, but I like him better than the other two in the game, so he's got that going for him. 

Question: When did he kill Wolverine? Because we just had a big death and absence and return of Wolverine, but he wasn't killed by Daken for that, was he? The sword is supposed to bypass Logan's healing, but the recent death of Wolverine arc had him lose his healing factor and get suffocated by adamantium, or at least that's what I remembered.
    Guess we'll find out in the epic "Introducing Old Man Daken" starting August 13th!
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 548 Critical Contributor
     The Black match damage scales from 200 to 80! Nice! @IceIX
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Great red battery for a team that doesn't use black (*cough* thorkoye *cough*).  Otherwise fueling his own red is a bit of a waste as it seems meh. 
    True healing is good, and his green in general is quite good (like 2*/3* torch, he reduced his own power cost with each cast after the first).  9k damage for 6 ap (and perma-damage tool is good.  He health will sit lower than DD, but his max healing is higher. 
    He also sets a new high for match damage. So that power-creep shows no signs of stopping. 
    Seems like a good 3/5/5 candidate. I would likely skip onslaught in favor of him if I had to choose targets, but I don't know that he has the same all-around value as apoc.
    (I also note that Demi continues to try to dethrone okoye without actually nerfing her.  I don't know that he will be especially good against brbitty teams as he only reduces tiles by 25% or less, and can barely remove tiles as fast as brbitty can make them.  Curious to see that match in practice [hint hint t****s ;) ] )
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    His red power is only a flat decrease of up to 25%. His power is an "old man" version of Kraven. 

His black power reminds me of 5* Kingpin's repeater. We are looking at 6152 per repeater tile when there are any 2 special tiles on the board, that are not his repeaters. This is definitely anti-Britty/Gritty. However, it's not going to be effective. If it ignores protect tiles, we can start talking.

His green power is totally anti-hulkoye. You gain 3 green ap back, so it will be cheaper the second run.

3/5/5 for me. 

I think his special store partners would be OML and Daredevil.
  • DyingLegend
    DyingLegend Posts: 1,191 Chairperson of the Boards
    He actually doesn't look terrible. 
  • Vhailorx
    edited August 2020
    What do his purple repeater tiles actually do?  Am I missing something in the power description?  Do they proc the stated damage for his black passive?
    If he reduces ih's permanent health to zero what happens?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    That green perma-lowering the enemy's health total each use could be a very interesting wrinkle for Okoye based opponents. I wonder how it behaves vs iHulk, who sort of wants a lower health total depending on how he's being played?

His tile reduction thing is kind of just a reverse Punishe4 power; i wonder how effective it would be clearing out 4ocket or BRB starting tiles on turn 2?

I feel like he'd be an interesting character to run with Thor-Pocalypse
  • Vhailorx
    edited August 2020
    Why are you guys releasing an Asian wolverine variant during heightened racial tensions?   Could have chosen Silver Samurai, Blink or Xorn.    So many actual Asian characters in Marvel.  This release should have delayed.
    I was thinking about the unfortunate orientalism in Logan's whole Japan arc too. I guess the excuse here is that daken of mixed heritage?
    Definitely not a comment that deserves a flag IMO.  Maybe some alt-right types are feeling a little triggered by the thought that their beloved comics of old (or in this case, of the aughts) might be a tiny bit problematic when it comes to race or cultural sensitivity? 

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    his Regis red looks good in a 5* world of red. As a 3rd with BRB/Kitty it could be good.  Against BRB/Kitty is also looks good.  Although I still prefer to bring Kitty against those teams as the protect tiles are removed faster.  Not a great power if the enemy does not have special tile on the board.

black passive sold red AP generator could do good damage against some PVE goons.  I do wish the repeater would be every one turn Repeaters instead of 2.  Then again if you are getting multiple repeaters out that damage could add up quickly.

green looks OK.  9K direct damage plus destroys 3 green tiles seems ok.  The permanent damage seems cool in theory but there are not that many true healers or temp healers that are meta enough to make this great.

green passive is really not worth mentioning because it is below 25% max health.  That’s about 15k health and he will only go back to 25k.  The issue is it is easy to one shot him before his healing can even kick in.

overall interesting but not meta 
  • Glockoma
    Glockoma Posts: 548 Critical Contributor
    Would love to see how his SAP tile destruction works vs. BRBitty/Gritty. Otherwise, his healing seems a bit less than sturdy. 

I’ll probably like him overall.
  • thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    He is a nice counter to BRB/Kitty but can still get overwhelmed by them. He's a nice counter pick to okoye also, and he's a nice battery for red users.

I'd like to see a 50 percent reduction on special tiles but oh well, he would have been a hard counter to brb\kitty with like a 50 or more mitigation passive.
  • y4747
    y4747 Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    the reduction only being 25% at max is kinda disappointing. i doubt i'll ever notice than change where it matters (vs. kitty). black seems pretty interesting though.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    @IceIX
    with yet another custom override to the name based lockouts, I'm curious if there are any plans to unlock other not-the-same-but-have-the-same-name lockouts? Cho/Banner, Robbie Reyes/Johnny Blaze, Jane Foster/Gladiator Thor, etc?
  • Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,188 Chairperson of the Boards
    Vhailorx said:
    Why are you guys releasing an Asian wolverine variant during heightened racial tensions?   Could have chosen Silver Samurai, Blink or Xorn.    So many actual Asian characters in Marvel.  This release should have delayed.
    I was thinking about the unfortunate orientalism in Logan's whole Japan arc too. I guess the excuse here is that daken of mixed heritage?
    Definitely not a comment that deserves a flag IMO.  Maybe some alt-right types are feeling a little triggered by the thought that their beloved comics of old (or in this case, of the aughts) might be a tiny bit problematic when it comes to race or cultural sensitivity? 

Might as well get flagged also...

Asian erasure is a thing in the US.  But, remember the game also celebrated Asian History Month (or Lunar New Year, forget which), with a store featuring Okoye, Tony Stark, and Carol (unsure about the 3rd, maybe Pepper?)...
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Which shoulder is his tattoo on?
  • Waddles_Pines
    He looks like Old Man Bagwell... 

Houston Astros News January 19 2017 - The Crawfish Boxes
  • Waddles_Pines
    Which shoulder is his tattoo on?
    It's a temporary tattoo :smiley: