A Timeless Voyage - Feedback

2»

Comments

• QuiksilverHg
    QuiksilverHg Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    edited August 2020
    There’s a lot of discussion about making missions more difficult.  I just want to state that there is a fine line between ‘difficult’ and ‘unfair’ or sometimes-impossible.  This event definitely fell into the camp of “sometimes impossible” against certain opposing decks with good matches.

This is a game that happened to me on the bottom node... T1 Urza, T2 Quartzwood Crasher, Shadowspear (giving Urza trample and making a quartzwood token).  T3 play a land, bash me for a bunch making an absurdly large token.  T4, I’m facing 55 power on the other side at 39 life.

For those thinking that I built my deck without the ability to interact, I had four cards in my deck that could remove an opposing creature... I didn’t draw any of them.  For those interested it was Teferi, Unexplained Disappearance, Arrester’s Admonition, and Discovery // Dispersal; I believe I also had a talent of the telepath to get one of the 4... didn’t draw that either.

No luck linking the pic... anyone have a quick tutorial on how to do that
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Zethish said:

Winning all the time can be boring too. I want to be challenged, but not punished :blush:

Succinct and true. 

The problem isn't even necessarily that the rewards are smaller. It's that they go from "somewhat useful" to "useless" in the blink of an eye.  If you don't win at a very high rate, the rewards aren't commensurate with the amount of time that's generally demanded by events. 

And unfortunately, the client is in such a constantly buggy state that people are thereby penalized because they can't design a proper game. Oops, sorry your game froze!   Enjoy your 1,000 runes and token jewel. 

• Firstofhisname419
    Firstofhisname419 Posts: 129 Tile Toppler
    Something else I haven't seen mentioned in this thread: the fireworks animation for that support is insane.  We've been asking for LESS of the fireworks trails, not more!  I hated that animation every time it popped up. 
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    How many people had to put there phone down and walk away cause you could see Greg's turn would be more then a minute long?  I didn't really track the number of times but 4-6 would be my best guess.

I'm up for a challenge, but walk away for a few minutes and then come back to see if your dead really wasn't any fun.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    I had that once, but I recognise when ive lost. I don't torture myself by waiting that out: i surrender the game to greg.

It's the same in chess: sometimes you get to a point when you lose in x moves no matter what, and then you forfeit the game (it's actually good sportmanship)

So yeah it happens, no i don't have a problem with it.
  • Michael_WC
    Michael_WC Posts: 74 Match Maker
    The event gets a huge thumbs down from me all around. I think the reasons why are already posted numerous times throughout this thread.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @critman - what do you mean by nothing event? Uninteresting, Boring or ...?
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @critman - I see. My HxB has sadly not been a breeze. I have lost 3 matches, so far two on mega-cascades and one to a insanely well-designed deck. So I might have been hit by matchmaking bingo for my one loss, but the mega-cascade is worse from perspective because that is what I loose to more often.

After adjusting my deck to include the usual 5 top card it has been breeze, but also boring from a deck building perspective. I think that is just as damaging to the game in the long run.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    critman said:
    Tremayne said:
    I mean, you breeze through it without a second thought. There's the possibility that the random matchmaking will throw up an opponent who you don't tear through like tissue paper, but that chance is miniscule.

I hate random matchmaking. It's probably time we had a thread about that again.

I think Hibernum made the matchmaking completely random just to spite us for threads like this... (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/55420/matchmaking-bingo)
    What are you complaining about???
  • jtwood
    critman said:
    jtwood said:
    critman said:
    Tremayne said:
    I mean, you breeze through it without a second thought. There's the possibility that the random matchmaking will throw up an opponent who you don't tear through like tissue paper, but that chance is miniscule.

I hate random matchmaking. It's probably time we had a thread about that again.

I think Hibernum made the matchmaking completely random just to spite us for threads like this... (https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/55420/matchmaking-bingo)
    What are you complaining about???
    Since you ask, I'm complaining about random matchmaking! Plenty of games, including paper MTG, use a system of matchmaking which matches veterans against veterans and n00bs against n00bs, and it'd be a much more satisfying system than the one we have now!

Here's a thread from *two years ago* where moderator bken notes that Oktagon have mentioned on multiple occasions how unsatisfactory the matchmaking system is.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/70442/ideal-matchmaking

This should probably be it's own thread by now shouldn't it. I'm sure a moderator will splinter it off if they think it's important.
    We play randomly within our color mastery tier, right?
  • Michael_WC
    edited August 2020
    I'd also like to add to the matchmaking conversation; being pitted against decks within the same node, not decks from the entire event, would be a nice change.

CotC Pauper (or was it Peasant) nodes come to mind. Unless someone is truly using mythic\mp heavy decks to troll (which would be fine if that were the case) facing them constantly in such restricted nodes is not fun.
  • jtwood
    I'd also like to add to the matchmaking conversation; being pitted against decks within the same node, not decks from the entire event, would be a nice change.

CotC Pauper (or was it Peasant) nodes come to mind. Unless someone is truly using mythic\mp heavy decks to troll (which would be fine if that were the case) facing them constantly in such restricted nodes is not fun.
    In CotC, I am 99% confident you face decks from the same node. People just frequently ignore the requirements, particularly if they are only playing for progression rewards. Those low-rarity nodes are a trap. You always have to assume you will face a bomb-laden deck filled with mythics and MPs, because the game does not restrict cards on those nodes.

• Michael_WC
    Confirmation of this would be nice. This can't be the case in many coalition events though. I often get paired with matches against decks designed to complete objectives of other nodes.

The problem is, without confirmation of how matchmaking is done from Okatagon all we can do is speculate and only add our own confirmation bias to the conversation.