What will happen to standard packs once their set will rotate out if standard ?

Bil
Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
edited August 2020 in MtGPQ General Discussion
Now we know that standard packs are linked to their standard set, WE Also know they can't remain "standard" foverer.

What will happen to them once their relative set goes legacy? Will they still be granting cards for This set despite the set being legacy? Will they be updated to legacy packs? Will they just fall in Oblivion?

Any information about this @Oktagon_Support?

Comments

• Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nicely spotted. It is a corner case, but it would be great to know how boosters are supposed to be treated, if said occurrence happens.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    When the Standard format rotates (every Last Set Release of the Year), the VIP (Standard) and Standard Boosters acquired during that Standard format will continue to yield cards from that Standard format.
    Standard Boosters acquired during the new Standard format will contain only cards from the new Standard Format.
    Also, the VIP (Legacy) Boosters acquired during the previous Standard format will not be updated to contain the new Legacy Sets (the ones from the previous Standard Format).
  • Tremayne
    edited August 2020
    @Oktagon_Support - Thank you for the answer.

I realise that I might be a minority here, but it seems to me that there is very little reason in ever paying for anything in this app again! Perhaps, except for specific card deals in the vault.

I was probably considered a whale during 2017 and 2018 (which I have gotten a huge benefit from up until now), but moving forward I have no reason to pay for VIP, since approximately half of the master VIP subscription is useless to me.

So I suggest that Oktagon creates a new VIP subscription for players with a full legacy collection? Same price, more boosters or lower price, fewer boosters, you choose! Please leave out Mana runes when you design the reward structure.
  • DragonSorcerer
    DragonSorcerer Posts: 182 Tile Toppler
    Legacy packs just became useless to me
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Hi @Tremayne ,
    We've been asked a lot about new types of VIP subscriptions.
    I will make sure our development team receives all your feedback about this matter!
  • Michael_WC
    Michael_WC Posts: 74 Match Maker
    @Oktagon_Support

I get it, you guys need to get paid, no one is disputing that fact. This is also a F2P game, we all know what that means and what we're getting into. Again, no one is arguing the case that everything should be free.

I think the fact that there is a general sense of unhappiness from the community concerning VIP (and the packs in particular) is fact and not mere speculation. If you are seriously considering new types of VIP subscriptions that is great and should be made top priority if you want to keep your current player base happy (assuming this is of importance to the developers and your publisher)

I'm a returning player from 2016 that only came back late last year. I've whaled hard and am in a great spot because of it, however, now I too have very little reason to keep my VIP subscription outside of the occasional VIP only vault deals. Even these aren't worth the price though if you consider the monthly cost of keeping the subscription active. With all of the changes to the non-dupe packs I now have zero use for 550+ packs in my inventory.

I am very intrigued and excited at the prospect of new VIP benefits and would love to hear more....sooner rather than later.
  • Bil
    edited August 2020
    Thanks for the answer!
     disappointing to know legacy boosters dont update either.
     The "loss" of numerous standard packs with the THB changes was already Bad news .... but if legacy packs don't update, it literally means players have payed for nothing but dupes during several months before THB... That's Beyond disapointment ...
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Tremayne said:
    @Oktagon_Support - Thank you for the answer.

I realise that I might be a minority here, but it seems to me that there is very little reason in ever paying for anything in this app again! Perhaps, except for specific card deals in the vault.

I was probably considered a whale during 2017 and 2018 (which I have gotten a huge benefit from up until now), but moving forward I have no reason to pay for VIP, since approximately half of the master VIP subscription is useless to me.

So I suggest that Oktagon creates a new VIP subscription for players with a full legacy collection? Same price, more boosters or lower price, fewer boosters, you choose! Please leave out Mana runes when you design the reward structure.
    Seconded! 

I cancelled my master VIP for a month since I pulled my last missing Ikoria card, I wish there was something to keep me interested in the subscription.... 
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    I currently have 17 legacy non-dupe packs unopened in the vault.
    In three months, I may be able to use some of those to get the missing masterpieces of the then newly legacy-ed sets. That is, if I stop my VIP subscription now. If I continue to pay for VIP, I'll probably have most of those masterpieces already, making those legacy packs useless forever.
    To be honest, this is a first world problem, but then, paying 30€ a month for an online game is a first world privilege.
    So yes, an alternate VIP subscription for the ancient ones would be appreciated.
  • Tremayne
    edited August 2020
    @Heartstone - I have 29 legacy Non-dupe booster of various types and a complete legacy collection. As far as I understand the answer from Oktagon above, these boosters are completely worthless (other than a measly few orbs), since these boosters will never get updated when a new rotation to legacy occurs.

So I don’t see how you can expect to receive any MP from your boosters, but perhaps I’m misunderstanding your post?
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    @Tremayne I had missed that little nugget of information,  but you're right, those legacy boosters are now useless forever.
    That only makes the need for a new vip version version more painful.
    A legacy-to-standard conversion would also be a possibility,  but considering past experience, the conversion rate would be just as annoying
  • Bil
    edited August 2020
    Overall, it looks like the only option to get a correct value from all your vip boosters is to cancel vip during a whole standard rotation, and suscribe until you've completed the legacy sets ... And then cancel until the next rotation ... 
    It's absolutely counter intuitive and the poor players that dont inform themselves on the forums are very likely to keep suscribing until they realize it at their expend.
    Some Inbox advertising should definitely be made to explain the REAL behaviour of the vip boosters ... 
    On top of it, a New advertising should be sent EVERY TIME a change that isn't reflected by the cards and the gameplay impacts the game

I'm Always admiring the fideility of the playerbase ... the numerous players that have been despoiled of hundreds of dollars of vip content because of unannounced changes ... And keep supporting a game that shows very little respect, at least in the form if not in the content.