a timeless voyage top node not always granting second swap [Investigating]

naabaldan
naabaldan Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
while doing several matches i found that the second swap is not always given to the player. this may deal with cascades by urza. i have recorded the last match were right at the end of that match the second swap was not given. i use the same deck for both nodes. video and deck list can be provided.

Comments

• naabaldan
    confirmation. this is, again, a permanent support match issue. while urza is massively converting orbs to blue and matches one or any permanent support the second Swap is not granted. after urzas support is Destroyed the second Swap is granted again.
    as far as my deck is solid strong it does not need the second swap in that Phase and matching permanents should not be done in the beginning of the match to handle this issue. i will save some more videos for demonstration purpose
  • Pirhotek
    Pirhotek Posts: 45 Just Dropped In
    Also, once it stops giving the second swap it stops doing it for the rest of the game.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,259 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you for the feedback!
    This issue is now under investigation.
  • naabaldan
    Pirhotek said:
    Also, once it stops giving the second swap it stops doing it for the rest of the game.
    I can confirm that this is not true. after Greg destroyed my urza support and no cascades happened anymore the second Swap was granted again
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    This issue happens also with the new mono blue Teferi. It's third ability creates a token that gives you 2 extra swaps after your first match. Sometimes you don't get those extra swaps. This only happens if you have some lands or gem conversion engine like Urza tokens and the gem conversion before your turn even starts results in an auto match. If that happen you lose your extra swaps. I'm guessing that the game understands that the auto match was your first match and you regular turn is your extra turn. So in order to avoid it I try not to run many gem changers on my Teferi decks.

The problem with the top node on A Timeless Voyage is that the objective is to match 18 or more gems of your Planeswaker's colors so you have to run gem conversion that can result on you losing your extra turn. I really don't care that much about the extra turn because is something you don't need to win the match. But then there is absolutely no need to have a permasupport that doesn't work with the node objectives
  • boopers
    boopers Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    I’m willing to bet that this is just a code conflict related to the rule that if you convert any gems, all match 5 that happen thereafter do not grant extra swaps. 

So at start of turn, if you convert gems, and it makes a match 5, the support is granting you and extra turn (plus the match 5 extra swap) but then the “deny extra swap” code is overriding both. 
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,607 Chairperson of the Boards
    @boopers - in my experience it has nothing to do with extra swaps. I have had several turns where I only got one swap as opposed to the expected 3 swaps.
  • naabaldan
    my guess is the s permanent support issue... still
  • soultwist
    soultwist Posts: 325 Mover and Shaker
    My first match of the first game on the bottom node was a 5 match, no extra swap.  Greg's was also a 5 match, but he got both his extra and the extra from his support gem.  Only saw a couple times loosing extra swap on the top but it does defiantly happen.  Very buggy all the way around