Marvel Puzzle Quest R208 Release Notes (7/31/20)

Options

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,614 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Kwahder said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Blade of Regret = Black Knight?
    This is a pretty solid guess as the Ebony blade is cursed.
    The only reason I would say it isn’t the Black Knight is that he’s a major character in the Eternals movie - surely, they would want to tie in with its release?

Hey, they had Conan the Barbarian join the Avengers in the comics; maybe he’s coming to MPQ?

Yeah I did think that but wondered if they might have decided to just throw it out there. Probably not though.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Guillotine as a 5 would be funny
    Yeah!  Ummmm.....Who?
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Guillotine was a character created for Contest of Champions, a different Marvel mobile game.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,614 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Maybe it is the Arabian Knight:
    He sure does have a sweet looking magic sword! Good job they didn't ruin things by, say, giving him a flying carpet or...oh, wait...
    Ah...there is the "regret" part...
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,293 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I posted this in bugs as well, but the health bar doesn't show burst healing as green after updating to R208.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    JHawkInc said:
    Guillotine was a character created for Contest of Champions, a different Marvel mobile game.

And she is now a part of 616 (main) Universe
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Watched a video titled "Top 10 Marvel Swordsmen" on Marvel.com:

10) Magik
    9) Wolverine
    8) Sif
    7) Blade
    6) Swordsman
    5) Taskmaster
    4) Gamora
    3) Black Knight
    2) Valkyrie
    1) Deadpool

Guessing this is a 5*? We have 2 Hulks so I can't rule out a 2nd Wolverine. Likely not Taskmaster given his status as a limited. Angela had a sword too if memory serves but she didn't make Marvel's top 10.

BTW Marvel, I think the politically correct term is "Swordspersons".
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    Options
    bluewolf said:
    I posted this in bugs as well, but the health bar doesn't show burst healing as green after updating to R208.

I can confirm this bug, both on Steam and ios.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,722 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Mr_F said:
    helix72 said:

10) Magik
    9) Wolverine
    8) Sif
    7) Blade
    6) Swordsman
    5) Taskmaster
    4) Gamora
    3) Black Knight
    2) Valkyrie
    1) Deadpool

Guessing this is a 5*? We have 2 Hulks so I can't rule out a 2nd Wolverine. Likely not Taskmaster given his status as a limited. Angela had a sword too if memory serves but she didn't make Marvel's top 10.

And here we go, the English nomenclature problem with edged weapons. *deep breath*

The problem with top 10 whatever is usually that they are often pretty wrong or subjective. Like in this case, it should be called "Top 10 Marvel FENCERS" or better "BLADE USERS" not "SWORDSMEN" as the latter is based on wrong assumption that all long-bladed weapons are swords/can be called swords. Its common mistake in languages, especially English, when a word (here "sword") can be technically (from language persperctive) used as a synomim for  "all blade weapons" and yet at the same time it is a subcategory of those. The better (like less confusing) is Polish terminology. There exist a word "kord" (pronunciaton as eng. "cord") as a "use it to name every bladed weapon" but is not used very often and polish distiguish bladed weapon into categories like swords, sabres, knives and daggers most of the time. Even though, the main category is not named "kordy" (the plurar form... I skip pronunciation as I lack skill to do it correctly hear) but "edged weapons".

Taking that into consideration Magik, Sif, Blade (not sure), Swordsman, Taskmaster, Gamora, Black Knight and Valkyrie use SWORDS (straight, double edged blade) while Wolverine, Blade (not sure) and Deadpool use SABRES (curved, one edged blade*) and comparing them is wrong. The way of using them (swords and sabres) differs, mostly because, generaly speaking, sabres excels in CUTTING and are poor with PIERCING while swords are mediocre in both. Yes, they are more a like in many ways but you can not, for example, use half-swording techniques with sabres or left-right swings without turning the blade 180 degrees (i mean take a kitchen knife and swing it horizontally left-right: one hit would be with blade's edge and second with back. without turing it 180 degrees there would be one, virtually pointless/harmless hit). On the other hand, you can cuts from sabres are longer and deeper and therefore for dangerous.

If you compare, using RPG way of skill measure to show what I have in mind, a level 10 sword user who was forced to use sabre against a level 10 sabre user is most likely going to lose. Same a level 10 saber user using sword against level 10 sword user. Of course a level 10 sword user with a sword vs. level 10 saber user with a sabre is another story.

*katana is technically a sabre.
    I appreciate the details on different long-bladed weaponry... I'm an old-hand at fencing, myself, so I understand what you're stating.

However, we all know how video games treat swords.  Diablo-game-monster drops a scimitar.  Your barbarian just replaces his claymore with it, and swings it just the same, with no thought, because it's just a "sword".

I'll never argue with you regarding the points you established.  I just blindly accept that games seem to simplify bladed-weapon terms and usages because "pointy/slicey thingy hurts the bad guy" is easier for everyone to digest.  :)
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    PiMacleod said:

I'll never argue with you regarding the points you established.  I just blindly accept that games seem to simplify bladed-weapon terms and usages because "pointy/slicey thingy hurts the bad guy" is easier for everyone to digest.  :)
    In fact realistic martial arts knowledege is always used on japanese comics more than american ones.
    Even on bare hands, superheroes rarely do efective boxing punches but rather inefective giant swings ( if you ever try to hit a guy with a double handed smash ala thing or hulk, you will realize you will be the one more hurt).
    At least on mcu they improved battle coreographies.
    Like captain america who uses a mixture of army martial arts looking really cool.
  • Mr_F
    edited August 2020
    Options
    PiMacleod said:
    Mr_F said:
    helix72 said:

10) Magik
    9) Wolverine
    8) Sif
    7) Blade
    6) Swordsman
    5) Taskmaster
    4) Gamora
    3) Black Knight
    2) Valkyrie
    1) Deadpool

And here we go, the English nomenclature problem with edged weapons. *deep breath*

The problem with top 10 whatever is usually that they are often pretty wrong or subjective. Like in this case, it should be called "Top 10 Marvel FENCERS" or better "BLADE USERS" not "SWORDSMEN" as the latter is based on wrong assumption that all long-bladed weapons are swords/can be called swords. Its common mistake in languages, especially English, when a word (here "sword") can be technically (from language persperctive) used as a synomim for  "all blade weapons" and yet at the same time it is a subcategory of those. The better (like less confusing) is Polish terminology. There exist a word "kord" (pronunciaton as eng. "cord") as a "use it to name every bladed weapon" but is not used very often and polish distiguish bladed weapon into categories like swords, sabres, knives and daggers most of the time. Even though, the main category is not named "kordy" (the plurar form... I skip pronunciation as I lack skill to do it correctly hear) but "edged weapons".

Taking that into consideration Magik, Sif, Blade (not sure), Swordsman, Taskmaster, Gamora, Black Knight and Valkyrie use SWORDS (straight, double edged blade) while Wolverine, Blade (not sure) and Deadpool use SABRES (curved, one edged blade*) and comparing them is wrong. The way of using them (swords and sabres) differs, mostly because, generaly speaking, sabres excels in CUTTING and are poor with PIERCING while swords are mediocre in both. Yes, they are more a like in many ways but you can not, for example, use half-swording techniques with sabres or left-right swings without turning the blade 180 degrees (i mean take a kitchen knife and swing it horizontally left-right: one hit would be with blade's edge and second with back. without turing it 180 degrees there would be one, virtually pointless/harmless hit). On the other hand, you can cuts from sabres are longer and deeper and therefore for dangerous.

If you compare, using RPG way of skill measure to show what I have in mind, a level 10 sword user who was forced to use sabre against a level 10 sabre user is most likely going to lose. Same a level 10 saber user using sword against level 10 sword user. Of course a level 10 sword user with a sword vs. level 10 saber user with a sabre is another story.

*katana is technically a sabre.
    I appreciate the details on different long-bladed weaponry... I'm an old-hand at fencing, myself, so I understand what you're stating.

However, we all know how video games treat swords.  Diablo-game-monster drops a scimitar.  Your barbarian just replaces his claymore with it, and swings it just the same, with no thought, because it's just a "sword".

TY, somebody knows it beside me! You wrote true too, sadly.

P.S. And did one mistake. I mean, you felt into your own language trap.
    we all know how video games treat SWORDS -> we all know how video games treat EDGED/BLADED weapons (or whatever). You know what I mean, so no offence. It just shows how much it is rooted into English.

Bad said:
    PiMacleod said:

In fact realistic martial arts knowledege is always used on japanese comics more than american ones.
    Even on bare hands, superheroes rarely do efective boxing punches but rather inefective giant swings ( if you ever try to hit a guy with a double handed smash ala thing or hulk, you will realize you will be the one more hurt).
    At least on mcu they improved battle coreographies.
    Like captain america who uses a mixture of army martial arts looking really cool.

Yeah... And they have "nigh/high invurnebility" so ya know. But true, you are right too.

• Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Since Sword of X was guessed already, I'll go with Knull.  Anti-Venom is a symbiote, so why not the God of symbiotes, who is going to be the focus of the next big Marvel event after Empyre... And he also wields a sword, though I don't know if it has a name...

Good guess -- and, it does have a name! That would All-Black, the sword forged from the first symbiote which had originally been Knull's shadow.

https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/All-Black_(Klyntar)_(Earth-616)
  • Marc_Spector
    Marc_Spector Posts: 623 Critical Contributor
    Options
    My guess for "Blade of Regret" would be either Hulkling or Swordsman, both of whom feature heavily in Marvel's summerlong "Empyre" comic event. Hulkling -- who's half-Kree / half-Skrull -- is called upon to unite and lead the two races against a common foe, while wielding his ancestral sword Excelsior.
    https://marvel.fandom.com/wiki/Excelsior_(Star-Sword)

former Avenger Swordsmen was dead for awhile and currently resurrected as part of the event too.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited August 2020
    Options
    At least in American english, "sword" is an overarching term that includes specific sub-categories like Sabres/Falchions/Rapiers etc in the same way that "Gun" encompasses "pistols/rifles/shotguns/etc." Knives would encompass anything shorter than a Shortsword, and even those are going to have subcategories, I guess based on blade length/pattern. The term "Blade" would encompass all those categories. I would comfortably use the term Sword to describe a longsword, a claymore, a shortsword, or a rapier because it's the more generic term here.

I wouldn't include Wolverine in a list of "swordsmen" based on his claws, I would assume it was due to his time spent fighting ninjas with a Katana back in the 80s: http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/blackblademuramasa.htm
  • Mr_F
    Options
    At least in American english, "sword" is an overarching term that includes specific sub-categories like Sabres/Falchions/Rapiers etc in the same way that "Gun" encompasses "pistols/rifles/shotguns/etc." Knives would encompass anything shorter than a Shortsword, and even those are going to have subcategories, I guess based on blade length/pattern. The term "Blade" would encompass all those categories. I would comfortably use the term Sword to describe a longsword, a claymore, a shortsword, or a rapier because it's the more generic term here.

I wouldn't include Wolverine in a list of "swordsmen" based on his claws, I would assume it was due to his time spent fighting ninjas with a Katana back in the 80s: http://www.marvunapp.com/Appendix3/blackblademuramasa.htm

There is not such thing as "short sword" or "longsword". What games describe as a "shord sword" is just "sword"; what as "longswords" is "hand-and-a-half sword/bastard" so I dunno what games describe as bastards. Two handed swords are "ok" (mostly) in games. Also, as I stated before, categorizing sabres/falchions/rapiers/katanas as "swords" make as much sense as categorizing - going by guns comparision - shotguns as rifles as both are long so "usage is same/similar enough". So: it has none.

FYI, the cold weapons go by this, as far as I know:
    Main category: bladed weapons.
            Main Sub categories: swords, sabres, knives and daggers
            Examples: glaudius, scimitar, khutar/khatar, misericordia, uchigatana (a correct name for what most people knows as katana), wakizashi, tantou, sai

Main category: hammerhead weapons
            Main Sub categories: axes (excluding polearm axes like bardiche), maces and flails.
            Examples: axe, club, mace, morningstars, flail, nunchaku. tetsubou, kanabou, jutte, jitte

Main category: Polearm weapons.
            Main Sub categories: sticks/staves, spears, "halberds-like" (halberds, glaives, guisarme, pole arm axes etc) and scythes (including war scythes and naginatas)
           Disclamer: it is like in Diablo 2, when polearm weapons are everything which is no a staff or spear or javelin type.
           Examples: quaterstaff, pike, halberd, bardiche, voulge, naginata, yari, guan-dao, scythe, javelin, two-handed flail

Main category: missile weapons.
            Main Sub categories: bows, crossbows and slings
            Exampless: long bow, composite bow, crossbow, repetive crossbow, sling, archbalist, yumi

Main category: hand weapons.
            Main Sub categories:none.
            Examples: brass knuckles, tenouchi, suntetsu

Main category: immobilazing weapons.
            Main Sub categories: none
            Examples: whips, nets, bola

Main category: parring weapons/defensive weapons.
            Main Sub categories: shields.
            Disclaimer: yes, shield are weapons not armours. Also does include dissarming weapons
            Examples: round shield, kite shield, pavise, tessen, jitte, jutte, suntetsu, tonfa, sai

As you can see, some weapons can be in more than one category, excluding if one of this is a polearms - then it is strictly caterorized as polearm weapon only. That is why bardiche, two handed flail and sansetsukon (three section staff) are polerarm weapons but also, respectivetly, a type of axe, flail and nunchaku
  • Pathmaster
    Pathmaster Posts: 16 Just Dropped In
    edited August 2020
    Options
    Sabre...a blade.  A synonym for regret is ruth.  5* Sabre-Ruth incoming!  

...or..

Shank...a blade.  "to suffer" in Mandarin is Chi.  5* Shank-Chi incoming!

...or..

Chisakatana..a blade.  A synonym for regret is rue.  5* ...(lmao)...Chisaka' D'Rue incoming!   :D 
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    Options
    Zorro, the Gay Blade (1981) definitely had a blade of regret . I don’t know who currently owns the character though. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,161 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    While the syntax of what is, and is not, a sword isn't necessarily the hill I want to die on, it is my belief that this discussion is devolved into translation error. In English, sword is the catch-all for long bladed weapons (would not eoncompass polearms) rather than referring to a specific pattern of bladed weapon, and indeed the term Longsword refers to Zweihanders (2 handed hilts) as well as single hand/hand-and-a-half "bastard" swords - it appears that it encompasses what @Mr_F is saying is just "sword." It's a sub-category. 

https://medievalbritain.com/type/medieval-life/weapons/medieval-longsword/

Scholarly literature on the subject clearly identifies the long, straight swords out of Europe as "longswords" with various subcategories.

https://www.ejmas.com/jwma/articles/2002/jwmaart_cvet_0102.htm

Anyway, I'll leave you to it from here. My vote for most regrettable sword remains Shatterstar, and if it's him, I super hope he comes in looking full on like Rob Liefeld's Axle Rose-in-Wrestling-Headgear design.

• Mr_F
    Options
    While the syntax of what is, and is not, a sword isn't necessarily the hill I want to die on, it is my belief that this discussion is devolved into translation error. In English, sword is the catch-all for long bladed weapons (would not eoncompass polearms) rather than referring to a specific pattern of bladed weapon, and indeed the term Longsword refers to Zweihanders (2 handed hilts) as well as single hand/hand-and-a-half "bastard" swords - it appears that it encompasses what @Mr_F is saying is just "sword." It's a sub-category. 

https://medievalbritain.com/type/medieval-life/weapons/medieval-longsword/

Scholarly literature on the subject clearly identifies the long, straight swords out of Europe as "longswords" with various subcategories.

https://www.ejmas.com/jwma/articles/2002/jwmaart_cvet_0102.htm

Anyway, I'll leave you to it from here. My vote for most regrettable sword remains Shatterstar, and if it's him, I super hope he comes in looking full on like Rob Liefeld's Axle Rose-in-Wrestling-Headgear design.

Agree but as I said before, It is dangerous way. I would preffer to distinguish "sword-like" weapons from "sabre-like" as explained before why.

But I would clarify one thing as English is not my mother tongue and sometimes it leads to wrong thoughts flow: yes, there is a term "longsword" but It describe everything that can be use with two hands (and some can be with one also), as in the quoted post of @theRoadWarrior. So basicly two-handed and hand and half swords. What I meant that there is no categorizing swords as short or long or that there is a single weapon type that can be called "short sword" or "longsword" (on similar fashion as stiletto, kriss, Desert Eagle or AK48 - as a specific type of weapon). If any expert says "longswords" (s)he has two or hand and half swords in mind, so what games mostly describe as bastards, two-handed swords and hand and half swords.

And I believe that "sword" as "blade weapon which is not dagger/knive/polearm etc." is just common misunderstaning/lack of knowledge/whatever. I just wanted to clarify the subject so more people would know that.

EOT from me and on topic: my guess is Black Knight.