So it seems cheating is legit now?

2»

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Apart from this, I'm curious how some can know what characters are coming out up to one month in advance. Is there some kind of special club between the dev and the whales? 
  • JHawkInc
    JHawkInc Posts: 2,601 Chairperson of the Boards
    Apart from this, I'm curious how some can know what characters are coming out up to one month in advance. Is there some kind of special club between the dev and the whales? 
    I think there was, once, years ago. Some early whales had entirely too much influence on the game, and were too public about it. (if such a special club still exists, they've at least got the sense to keep it quiet, at least)

These days, it's datamining. Finding text strings of stuff that's partly implemented before it's meant to be public knowledge. But Devs don't like people talking about it because it's not released, and thus not guaranteed to happen (and they don't want people hyped up on what ifs only to be disappointed because they never make it into the game). But yeah, we've known a couple characters in advance for years now. I specifically remember the Luke Cage leak in 2016. At the same time, there have been plenty of things that made it far enough to be in the game text that never saw the light of day, too.
  • stevenbrule
    stevenbrule Posts: 62 Match Maker
    At the same time, there have been plenty of things that made it far enough to be in the game text that never saw the light of day, too.
    Ha! Remember when we were all certain Iron Patriot was arriving?

• bowla33
    bowla33 Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    At the same time, there have been plenty of things that made it far enough to be in the game text that never saw the light of day, too.

He did! On console...
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards

Iron Patriot is on the console versions only......I'm not sure if he was ever in the mobile/Steam code (I think he hasn't ever shown up there).

There was a character that showed up in code that never arrived in game, as well as at least one feature.

Apparently at one point the devs were trolling the data miners with that character.

In general, anything that appears in the code shows up in the game eventually.  Oh, and the whales-devs connection ended years ago for whatever reason.  Maybe because the game's revenue stream has shifted to take in a much larger % from the average player over the years.  (I think I have seen 1-2 references to that from devs over the past year or so, that MPQ doesn't follow the general rule of thumb of whales providing like 90% or so of the revenue.)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Interesting history there. This type of "relationship" aren't uncommon though. 

I remember one or two years ago, someone started a thread about how to improve the UI for team selection. It even even showed a 4* that was not yet released in the first page of team selection. That character turned out to be Shuri one or two weeks later. 

Back to the topic, I wonder if the dev need to divert time away from their projects to handle reports of cheaters, or do they have a dedicated team to do so? I'm going with the former because of the size of the dev team.  I'll be surprised if they have a dedicated team to deal with them.

Could it be due to the upcoming feature(s) and new UI testing that they are not prioritising these cases? I believe that investigations take a week or two?
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    As to whether or not roster size has anything to do with the cheater hitting you, one of my friends uses his 550 apocalypse and 550 ihulk and the cheater hit him, and it was on his climb so my friend had not used any other team but that one.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    As to whether or not roster size has anything to do with the cheater hitting you, one of my friends uses his 550 apocalypse and 550 ihulk and the cheater hit him, and it was on his climb so my friend had not used any other team but that one.
    It's a bit surprising the player can see them, but I guess the cheater is climbing to the top of the bracket.

MMR is going to be weird and allow them to avoid some hits that other players might normally get from rosters at that level.  They must be able to insta-win as suspected, somehow.
  • Pantera236
    Pantera236 Posts: 370 Mover and Shaker
    I'm pretty sure my friend hit him mining points before his first #, so it was a retail
  • Beast1970
    Beast1970 Posts: 421 Mover and Shaker

Back to the topic, I wonder if the dev need to divert time away from their projects to handle reports of cheaters, or do they have a dedicated team to do so? I'm going with the former because of the size of the dev team.  I'll be surprised if they have a dedicated team to deal with them.

Could it be due to the upcoming feature(s) and new UI testing that they are not prioritizing these cases? I believe that investigations take a week or two?
    From my understanding, the devs are the Demiurge side of the house, and the cheaters are dealt with from the D3 Customer Service side of the house.  Separate companies, basically.