Update the prologue

tiomono
tiomono Posts: 1,651 Chairperson of the Boards
I enjoy this game a lot. I do not understand why after I clear all the rewards in the prologue it is just there. It takes up space and that is it. You cannot reread the story or even replay a mission for no reward.

If it could be reset for an hp cost and have a slight increase in difficulty and rewards. The difficulty could eventually escalate to a point where high level 5* characters would struggle to win. It could be played at a players pace with no timers or competition with others. 

If this is not doable maybe just make the prologue tab go poof once you clear all the rewards. It's literally a dead space in the game once you earn the rewards.

Comments

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'd buy that for a dollar...or whatever the equivalent of a dollar is in in HP or well, y'know.

• Sabaton74
    Sabaton74 Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    The best suggestion I have is let's have prologue graduate to campaign. There will be story arches that reward the cast of characters. The big question is if the license would even pay for itself. I'm saying we could have an entire backlog of recurring campaigns first ones free grin. Who here has ever witnessed the marvel of a store filled with back covers and spending an hour just thinking of what that cover could be holding ::wide eyed wonder::
  • Akoni
    Akoni Posts: 789 Critical Contributor
    tiomono said:
    I enjoy this game a lot. I do not understand why after I clear all the rewards in the prologue it is just there. It takes up space and that is it. You cannot reread the story or even replay a mission for no reward.

If it could be reset for an hp cost and have a slight increase in difficulty and rewards. The difficulty could eventually escalate to a point where high level 5* characters would struggle to win. It could be played at a players pace with no timers or competition with others. 

If this is not doable maybe just make the prologue tab go poof once you clear all the rewards. It's literally a dead space in the game once you earn the rewards.
    I like this idea. The prologue just sits there useless and taking up space. The option of spending hero points to replay it at a higher level is doable and profitable enough to consider. If there is concern about inflation of resources, they can alter the type and amount of rewards issued after each reset. 
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    I can tell you the reason we can't go back and play prologue events in 2 words: True Healing
    Us older players remember when you could go back and replay the prologue nodes with Wolverine or Daken or any other of the "True Healers" (like OBW at the time) and let them heal back up before going back out to fight.  This meant you never had to use health packs.
    It was much worse when ALL healing was "True Healing".  You could take 2 badly hurt covers and OBW and heal them back to full.  Now it's limited to the "True Healers", but it's still there.
  • Akoni
    abmoraz said:
    I can tell you the reason we can't go back and play prologue events in 2 words: True Healing
    Us older players remember when you could go back and replay the prologue nodes with Wolverine or Daken or any other of the "True Healers" (like OBW at the time) and let them heal back up before going back out to fight.  This meant you never had to use health packs.
    It was much worse when ALL healing was "True Healing".  You could take 2 badly hurt covers and OBW and heal them back to full.  Now it's limited to the "True Healers", but it's still there.
    There is still a workaround there. They ban or limit characters in events all the time. They can impose limits on every run other than the first run through. With only so many "True Healers," it wouldn't be much of a disadvantage to experienced players. Furthermore, those limitations can be treated like part of the level difficulty.

For beginner players, the prologue is played as is. For those going through a second time, they must do so with reward changes and limitations on characters. The third time through, the rewards are further modified and possibly more limitations on characters are implimented. With the addition of A.I.M., they have plenty of opportunities to provide different experiences and challenges for players. I imagine they will continue to add minions from the marvel-verse in the future to keep things spicy.

They also have the option of releasing or enabling higher prologue levels with higher player (S.H.E.I.L.D.) rank. That can provide another incentive for players to strive for a higher rank. "Congratulations! You have earned rank ___. For ___ hero points you can now unlock the next level of the MPQ prologue."

I'd go for that.
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Akoni said:
    abmoraz said:
    There is still a workaround there. They ban or limit characters in events all the time. They can impose limits on every run other than the first run through. With only so many "True Healers," it wouldn't be much of a disadvantage to experienced players. Furthermore, those limitations can be treated like part of the level difficulty.

For beginner players, the prologue is played as is. For those going through a second time, they must do so with reward changes and limitations on characters. The third time through, the rewards are further modified and possibly more limitations on characters are implimented. With the addition of A.I.M., they have plenty of opportunities to provide different experiences and challenges for players. I imagine they will continue to add minions from the marvel-verse in the future to keep things spicy.

They also have the option of releasing or enabling higher prologue levels with higher player (S.H.E.I.L.D.) rank. That can provide another incentive for players to strive for a higher rank. "Congratulations! You have earned rank ___. For ___ hero points you can now unlock the next level of the MPQ prologue."

I'd go for that.

Your 2nd paragraph just described "Shield Rank" and "Story Events (aka: PvE). :D
    The problem with the Prologue was never rewards, well, it was for little bit when you got 5 ISO for a win if you had all the node rewards already and players would farm the first node for hours on end because they could beat the node in a single match and never take damage.  The problem was that people could skip the "healing countdown timers" and just play PvP constantly by healing their chars.  They weren't limited by health packs or HP or roster size.
    I do like your suggestions in the 3rd paragraph, though.  Give us something else (worthwhile?) to spend out HP on.  Packs are generally worthless, I don't PvP, so shields aren't a thing.  I sit on 12k-15k of HP at any given time.  Might be nice to use it to open up the Prologue at a higher difficulty.
  • Akoni
    abmoraz said:
    Akoni said:

Your 2nd paragraph just described "Shield Rank" and "Story Events (aka: PvE). :D
    The problem with the Prologue was never rewards, well, it was for little bit when you got 5 ISO for a win if you had all the node rewards already and players would farm the first node for hours on end because they could beat the node in a single match and never take damage.  The problem was that people could skip the "healing countdown timers" and just play PvP constantly by healing their chars.  They weren't limited by health packs or HP or roster size.
    I do like your suggestions in the 3rd paragraph, though.  Give us something else (worthwhile?) to spend out HP on.  Packs are generally worthless, I don't PvP, so shields aren't a thing.  I sit on 12k-15k of HP at any given time.  Might be nice to use it to open up the Prologue at a higher difficulty.
    Ok, I understand what you're saying now and you have a valid point. Since the initial point of the prologue was to provide beginning players with resources to get into the "real" game, I think it should remain the same for players going through it for the first time. The problem is with those who have already completed the prologue once. The loophole that bypasses the cool-down period could be removed. Nonetheless, I am not a programmer, so I have no idea how difficult re-programming the prologue would be. In fact, this entire thing could be a pipe dream according to the d3go team. 

Now that I'm thinking about it, I'm just advocating for a pay-to-play event inside of what most people consider a pay-to-play game. I suppose that isn't bad if devs want to treat the prologue like an intro PvE that's re-playable later down the road. With that said, now I'm thinking it would be great for one of the following:
    1. "Anniversary" event - Instead of just handing out MPQ anniversary rewards, updated prologue events can be offered with anniversary rewards offered. The event would preferably last longer than most events to allow players plenty of time to go through it.
    2. Rank reward event - Use special prologue events (rank appropriated) to allow players to collect rewards for reaching certain ranks (i.e. 100, 200, 300, etc.). 
    3. And yes, a pay to enter event would still be ok. As long as the prologue stops sitting there,  staring at you like that pizza place you haven't been to since your diet started.
    I don't think anyone expects the greatest rewards of all time, but the novelty of events like this keeps players interested.