On Recent Aspect Ratio Changes for Tablets

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    If I had 1 dollar for every time I read I will quit this game now I would be rich.
    Thank you for the communication and thank you for these changes if efectively are going to improve the game in the future, cause those last words are like music in my ears.
    For flashy issues and sight problems personally I always play the game on the minimum bright. That way I never had blurry eyes altought playing all the amount of hours I play.
    Edit: finally I could play on my tablet. It has the vertical frames and it looks the same as my mobile. Still more big obviously being a tablet but overall I think its ok.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looking at the big picture, the change will make coding and testing less time consuming and more uniform. The time saved could be diverted to other matters, like the upcoming QoL (UI) change for players, especially those with deeper rosters. I'm hoping it's related to the team selection screen that makes choosing teams much easier.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,895 Chairperson of the Boards
    Looking at the big picture, the change will make coding and testing less time consuming and more uniform. The time saved could be diverted to other matters, like the upcoming QoL (UI) change for players, especially those with deeper rosters. I'm hoping it's related to the team selection screen that makes choosing teams much easier.
    Yes! A way to swap between saved teams has been my biggest ask for awhile. Every time they make changes under the hood or to the UI I ask and am hopeful for this feature. Hasn’t come yet. 

Also I echo everyone’s sentiments on you (IceIX) biting the bullet and communicating about these changes. I almost always praise feedback when we get it, even if we don’t like the content.  There are so many other issues I wish you all would step in and do this for. At least saying this is working as intended and we are not planning to change it (Bishop anyone?) while painful, should cut back on a lot of people wondering and asking the same questions incessantly.

So I’m using an iPhone 8 that is getting a little long in the tooth. When I finally upgrade, it’ll be whatever the newest iPhone is. So 11, or 12 if I can hold out. Does anyone know if there will be any changes to how MPQ will display? I don’t go for bigger/plus models, just standard. I like my phone to look like a phone. Not a phone/tablet hybrid. But I’ve heard even some iPhone users having issues with bars on their screen. 
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    Yes! A way to swap between saved teams has been my biggest ask for awhile. Every time they make changes under the hood or to the UI I ask and am hopeful for this feature. Hasn’t come yet. 

Also I echo everyone’s sentiments on you (IceIX) biting the bullet and communicating about these changes. I almost always praise feedback when we get it, even if we don’t like the content.  There are so many other issues I wish you all would step in and do this for. At least saying this is working as intended and we are not planning to change it (Bishop anyone?) while painful, should cut back on a lot of people wondering and asking the same questions incessantly.

So I’m using an iPhone 8 that is getting a little long in the tooth. When I finally upgrade, it’ll be whatever the newest iPhone is. So 11, or 12 if I can hold out. Does anyone know if there will be any changes to how MPQ will display? I don’t go for bigger/plus models, just standard. I like my phone to look like a phone. Not a phone/tablet hybrid. But I’ve heard even some iPhone users having issues with bars on their screen. 
    Most newer phones have a ratio where the long side is over 16. The iPhone 11 for example has a 19.5:9 ratio, the Samsung Galaxy s20 a 20:9 ratio, same as the OnePlus 8.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Yes you will have letterboxing. None of which is space put to good use. So a cluttered interface is the result with very small print.

The game undoubtedly looks better on the old iPhones. So much so that I’ve considered getting a used older model flagship just for playing at home.

I do appreciate the feedback, the tone does seem a little (I’m not sure) annoyed, condescending, passive aggressive, maybe dismissive? Of course text being text, it’s fully possible I’m misreading that.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,248 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dogface said:

Most newer phones have a ratio where the long side is over 16. The iPhone 11 for example has a 19.5:9 ratio, the Samsung Galaxy s20 a 20:9 ratio, same as the OnePlus 8.
    This is great information, as it creates a reason to put off the upgrade and saves people money.  Depending how annoying you think those bars are, I guess.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    bluewolf said:
    Dogface said:

This is great information, as it creates a reason to put off the upgrade and saves people money.  Depending how annoying you think those bars are, I guess.
    Pretty sure people aren't going to factor in MPQ when deciding on a new phone, though it would be pretty hardcore for someone to do so  :D
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dogface said:
    bluewolf said:
    Dogface said:

Pretty sure people aren't going to factor in MPQ when deciding on a new phone, though it would be pretty hardcore for someone to do so  :D

MPQ is far and away the most processor- and memory-intensive thing I do on my phone. It was def a consideration when I last upgraded.
    I actually like it better on my tablet after this change, but that's just a 16:10, so it's not as big of a deal. Before, the characters were almost completely hidden behind the board, to the point where it was sometimes difficult to tell who I was targeting. The starfield background for the side bars was a definite improvement over the blue.
  • AXP_isme
    AXP_isme Posts: 809 Critical Contributor
    edited July 2020
    jp1 said:
    Yes you will have letterboxing. None of which is space put to good use. So a cluttered interface is the result with very small print.

The game undoubtedly looks better on the old iPhones. So much so that I’ve considered getting a used older model flagship just for playing at home.

I do appreciate the feedback, the tone does seem a little (I’m not sure) annoyed, condescending, passive aggressive, maybe dismissive? Of course text being text, it’s fully possible I’m misreading that.
    This final paragraph here. I appreciate the communication, I appreciate any communication at this stage, but the tone did come across as a combination of aggrieved and patronising. Like that guy everyone knows who is struggling to explain to EVERYBODY ELSE things that they should EASILY UNDERSTAND but for some reason they don’t, probably because they’re JUST NOT SMART ENOUGH. 

Full disclosure: sometimes I am that guy. 
  • Crowl
    Crowl Posts: 1,579 Chairperson of the Boards
    While dumping the curtains has improved matters, I'm not sure that updating the support UI is a great example of something that offsets this.

For a long time, the biggest issues with supports are getting them and more crucially upgrading them and that's the area that most needs improving. 
  • Kaazz
    Kaazz Posts: 222 Tile Toppler
    In other words, this is a big middle finger to tablet users. At least we know we aren’t valued players. Another reason to not spend money on the game. 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Strange. I played all weekend on my tablet and I found I was seeing all clearly and I thought those few inches werent supposing a great change and I got used to it.
    It must be that my tablet is different to the others. Or maybe my eyesight is better (despite using heavy glasses).
    Indeed really strange. 
  • Bryan Lambert
    Bryan Lambert Posts: 234 Tile Toppler
    Bad said:
    Strange. I played all weekend on my tablet and I found I was seeing all clearly and I thought those few inches werent supposing a great change and I got used to it.
    It must be that my tablet is different to the others. Or maybe my eyesight is better (despite using heavy glasses).
    Indeed really strange. 
    Or maybe your “heavy glasses” correct your vision all the way to 20/20, and not, say, 20/70 with additional close vision correction needed. But please, tell us more about how well you think we should be able to see the game. Few things I love having to zoom in to read on the Internet more. 
  • bluewolf
    If you like it, you're right (for you).  If you don't like it, you're right (for you).

I do know a LOT of people are posting negative reviews of the game on the stores after the change.  But then, the people who don't like something are usually the more vocal ones.

I really hope these saved teams are coming very very soon.
  • Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards
    If the game doesn’t look good at your preferred resolution, then what’s the point?  The bars don’t bother me too much, but I’d much rather play a games that works on my preferred form factor than deal with bad compromises.  If it looks bad on steam, and iPad, what form factor looks best for this game?
  • HoundofShadow
    They have limited resources and time to accomplish their goals. If the dev team are made up of of 30-50 developers, they could channel a few to work on Steam UI, and a few to tablet UI. The reality is their team is small, so they have to sacrifice something. They might have arrived at this conclusion while working on the UI for Supports and realised that the time spent testing to make sure the UI looks "right" for all players was too time consuming, and was delaying work on other parts of the game. In this case, tablet players were sacrificed for the greater good, that is the community as a whole.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    ... tablet players were sacrificed for the greater good

• bluewolf
    Yesterday I was comparing the number of PVP alliances a year ago vs the one that just finished at season end.  My guesstimate is that about 15% fewer players (at least, those in alliances) played PVP last month as did a year ago.  This is during a massive global pandemic where we are encouraged to keep distant, etc.

We know the playerbase is at best holding steady, at worst slowly dropping.  My snapshots of revenue of late show no increase there, but I am using a site which is possibly not capturing all the data.  However, I think it feels right to say the game's just stable at the moment at best.

If you are looking to increase profits, what do you do?  Cut labor costs.  The game has no physical product and no real costs beyond server fees etc, which are fixed.  Maintaining support for a fraction of your user base's way-outside-the-norm aspect ratio (the iPad is probably the smallest number of users among mobile devices) is obviously one place you could look to reduce non-revenue-generating efforts and reduce your team's size (either as a % of someone's time or to shift someone to another project).  Or move someone to a feature/development project focused more on revenue generation.

Now, they wouldn't say "we stopped this to save some labor costs" but it could easily be another reason, beyond the ease in development of UI improvements, to make this change.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited July 2020
    If you look at the criteria to be met to "bring back" old Steam UI a few years ago, they were either:

1) they could code more efficiently
    2) the playerbase for Steam increased by a certain number.

I believe the reasoning for tablet should be similar, but I'm leaning towards point 1: more efficient coding.