What aspect ratio is your device?

Rhipf
Rhipf Posts: 294 Mover and Shaker
edited July 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
After reading through the update thread I was curious as to what the aspect ratio is for most players. I assume since we are now forced to 9:16 that that is what the data the devs have indicates is the most common aspect ratio. It would be interesting to see what the majority of forum users aspect ratio is.

What aspect ratio is your device? 52 votes

9:16
13%
xKOBALTxaxmossLLohmKGBTPF AlexisSt_BernadusPyram7 7 votes
10:16
7%
CrowlRhipfAcemontieroGeneralsaad 4 votes
3:4
36%
PuceMoosefreakygeekkillercoolburrichBryan LambertKwahderguzktguiLilithFelessaSteve111iron-n-wineninio313Joe4521Ptahhotephelix72AndiTiMegaBeePhoenixMagikabenness 19 votes
2:3
9%
PongieZalastabluewolfTriggerTimeitsuka7 5 votes
Other
30%
KolenceabmorazfmftintJangoLorezeddicus[Deleted User]rg72Alfje17nwahs086Reecohbowla33HilkKenshinUKjp1SithforeverStillMonsoon3 16 votes
Unknown
1%
Omegased 1 vote

Comments

• Rhipf
    I am currently using a Samsung Galaxy Tab S4 so I am running at a 10:16 aspect ratio
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other
    19.5:9 on IPhone XR.
  • Reecoh
    Reecoh Posts: 210 Tile Toppler
    edited July 2020
    Other
    18:9 Aspect Ratio (2880 x 1440)
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Mine is 18:9.

• Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    The last udpate has ruined the game in both my iPhone (bat on the top and bottom) and my iPad (bars on the side). Everything is tiny now!!! ****!!!
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    Using the iPad. I think the device itself is 3:4 (I measured the viewable space and it is 5 7/8" by 7 7/8"). Of course, the app no longer uses all the space and it looks horrible. The character cover art used to be really beautiful to see when maximized on the screen. Now, not so much.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,248 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hmmmm...I messed up my answer.

It seems that ALL iPads are 3:4 ratio....I'm not even sure 2:3 exists according to my (Google) research.  So that's what I have.

Basically there are 3 aspect ratios for devices:

3:4 (iPads)
    16:10 (Android tablets, Fires, etc)
    16:9 (Some other Android tablets, most Android phones, other phones as well - my iPhone, apparently)

Anyway the big loser on this change is anyone with an Apple tablet.  Not surprisingly, the ratio of revenue from Apple to Google devices is about 30/70.
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    I believe the Surface Pro has 3:2 aspect ratio. BTW, in what country/countries do they list the aspect ratios the way OP does? Where I live, all aspect ratios are swapped. Not that it really matters though, as it comes down to the same thing.
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    Dogface said:
    BTW, in what country/countries do they list the aspect ratios the way OP does? Where I live, all aspect ratios are swapped.
    I think the order of the numbers tells you if it's portrait or landscape.
  • TriggerTime
    TriggerTime Posts: 72 Match Maker
    I have a 2:3 device, the Blackberry Key One. I knew that getting a phone with a physical keyboard and non-standard screen proportions could have an impact on gaming, but in the year or so that I've owned it , MPQ has played pretty well on it. The game was responsive to the proportions, and shifted elements to accommodate the shorter height. For example, I noticed the top area for character art was reduced (example below).

The playing field itself was unaffected and used the full width of the screen. So the responsive coding was already in place. I see no reason to take that coding out, it wouldn't adversely affect any other device that didn't need it. There may well be a legitimate reason for the change, but if they don't communicate that to us, we can only speculate.

Unfortunately, as it stands now, the whole game is scaled down, and it's a strain on the eyes and physically harder to play on smaller screens of these proportions.

• PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    The majority of my time I play on my Ipad Pro or my iPad Mini 2 (when I'm on the treadmill), and I'm pretty disappointed with this change. Not only is it uglier, but the text is harder to read - and when the text can be tough to read on a device with an 11 inch screen, that's not a good thing for a mobile game. If they're insistent on this change I'd rather them let us use the aspect ratio that most phones use, with a scale to screen / 2x feature for tablets with a 4:3 ratio. 
  • Sithforever
    Sithforever Posts: 144 Tile Toppler
    Other
    19:9 Aspect ratio on my Note 10 Plus has the game looking fine.
  • rg72
    rg72 Posts: 113 Tile Toppler
    Other
    19.5:9 iPhone 11 Pro Max
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    @Rhipf

Just noticed that autocorrect changed ratio to ration for you in the thread’s title...
  • Rhipf
    Dogface said:
    I believe the Surface Pro has 3:2 aspect ratio. BTW, in what country/countries do they list the aspect ratios the way OP does? Where I live, all aspect ratios are swapped. Not that it really matters though, as it comes down to the same thing.

The only reason I listed the aspect ratios as small:large is that that is how it showed in the update notes (i.e. 2:3 and 9:16). I assume they did it that way since the game is played in portrait mode instead of landscape mode.
  • Rhipf
    edited July 2020
    krakenoon said:
    @Rhipf

Just noticed that autocorrect changed ratio to ration for you in the thread’s title...

LOL I hadn't noticed that myself. It may not have been auto correct though it may have just been my poor speeling. :D
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Sometime in the last few hours my borders at the top and bottom of screen changed to a starfield background much like the main area.  It blends in nicely and is more appealing than the blue horizontal stripes.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Other
    MrPlow said:
    Sometime in the last few hours my borders at the top and bottom of screen changed to a starfield background much like the main area.  It blends in nicely and is more appealing than the blue horizontal stripes.
    Same. Looks so much better.

I do wish they would utilize that space for useful info and clean up the main interface, but that’s probably not going to happen.
  • itsuka7
    itsuka7 Posts: 106 Tile Toppler
    bluewolf said:

Anyway the big loser on this change is anyone with an Apple tablet.  Not surprisingly, the ratio of revenue from Apple to Google devices is about 30/70.
    Well of course the revenue from Apple devices is lower... as anything I buy on ios costs at least 10% more, I play on my Ipad, but I buy on an Android device. But I could never play properly on that phone, much too small. I think revenue is not a good measure for the device people play on.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,248 Chairperson of the Boards
    itsuka7 said:
    bluewolf said:

Well of course the revenue from Apple devices is lower... as anything I buy on ios costs at least 10% more, I play on my Ipad, but I buy on an Android device. But I could never play properly on that phone, much too small. I think revenue is not a good measure for the device people play on.
    As far as IAPs for MPQ, in the US the Apple Store and Google Play are the same cost.

Honestly I think the biggest reason for the split is that Android devices are cheaper and hence used by more players.  Even if Apple has a big market share among device manufacturers, there are simply more people walking around using Android phones, tablets etc.