Tagged:

Comments

• jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Some power creep on the horizon isn’t there?

P/T to mana ratio of 2 on several cards. Waiting to see the keyword explained before being sure that there is a power creep.
  • naabaldan
    naabaldan Posts: 444 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Direct link to the Images
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Tremayne said:
    Some power creep on the horizon isn’t there?

P/T to mana ratio of 2 on several cards. Waiting to see the keyword explained before being sure that there is a power creep.
    I haven't looked at them all yet.  Many seem situationally strong.  A few cards like Warstorm Surge is incredibly powerful though.  Oof, that's a scary card.
  • Tremayne
    Tremayne Posts: 1,611 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    @critman - like these
    Azusa 5/6 for 10 mana (M)
    Baneslayer 8/8 for 17 mana (M)
    Avatar of growth 7/7 for 16 (MP)
    Barron 5/5 for 12 (M)
    Chainer 6/5 for 13 (M)
    Conspicuous snoop 4/4 for 9 (R) but have self exile, so CS have to be on the field with an extra creature
    Containment priest 4/4 for 8 (R)
    Dire fleet warmonger 5/5 for 11 (R)
    Elder Gargaroth 9/9 for 19 (M) and can summon beasts on attack
    Garruks harbinger 7/6 for 15 (M)
    Sparkhunter 6/7 for 11 (M)

I could go on, but I think that should do it, to wonder about power creep.
    Then there are cards like
    Chromatic Orrey seems quite powerful (though at a high cost) just have to sneak it into play somehow.
    Sublime epiphany seems a little situational but still strong.

Have you seen any extremely powerful cards?
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    I vote 'discontinuity' the worst mythic of the set. As you cannot activatet PW's or vanguard's abilities during or after the attack fase, it's basically a 14 mana fog. Or a 10 mana fog if you don't want your own creatures to attack.
  • jtwood
    edited July 2020
    Options
    I vote 'discontinuity' the worst mythic of the set. As you cannot activatet PW's or vanguard's abilities during or after the attack fase, it's basically a 14 mana fog. Or a 10 mana fog if you don't want your own creatures to attack.

At first, I thought Discontinuity was the best in the set because you could pair it with Mirari and lock down the opponent on their turn for the rest of the game. Then, I realized their wickedly brilliant cost reduction condition actually prevented Mirari - or even you - from filling the spell with the necessary 14 mana to cast it on your opponent's turn (and I expect the reduction to "drain" 4 mana when the cost of the spell drops to 10 on your turn). You need a way to generate 4 mana on your opponent's turn in order to cast it on your opponent's turn (plus, they have to have a creature to trigger flash, since that ability is still conditional on an attack happening).
    Or, at least, that's how I expect it to work. Expectations and reality often not exactly lining up in this game, of course.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    Options
    plus, they have to have a creature to trigger flash, since that ability is still conditional on an attack happening

Even worse, it can only trigger at the attack phase while loyalty and vanguards are  played before the attack phase
  • jtwood
    Options
    So we all agree: It sucks :smiley:
  • Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, as long as its actually possible to cast in on your opponent's turn (big assumption, but still), it is basically just a way to stop your opponent from attacking for the turn.  Which isn't totally useless (I'd think it would be nice for taking no damage objectives) but yeah, not fantastic.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,227 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    jtwood said:

My thought was that it's so terrible that maybe it signifies the alluded to reworking of Flash? Perhaps they're looking at creating upkeep phases where we can cast cards. 

That doesn't solve the cost issue, of course.
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 233 Tile Toppler
    Options
    madwren said:
    jtwood said:

My thought was that it's so terrible that maybe it signifies the alluded to reworking of Flash? Perhaps they're looking at creating upkeep phases where we can cast cards. 

That doesn't solve the cost issue, of course.
    But it would make this card usable!
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    plus, they have to have a creature to trigger flash, since that ability is still conditional on an attack happening

Even worse, it can only trigger at the attack phase while loyalty and vanguards are  played before the attack phase
    My hope was they meant "Until the beginning of your next turn" and it was just a misprint