***** Killmonger (Erik Stevens) *****

Comments

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    I downed Killmonger with a match 5, and he locked the critical tile that was created.
  • Akroma
    Akroma Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Thanos said:
    Akroma said:
    hello :) sorry to bother you.

i see you have onslaugh :D what do you think about him? as in order to get apoc i have to get ons :( and killmonger. as i was scared when you said in the onslaugh thread that you wouldnt even want to make a video about him :(

did that changed? or is he still not good? :(

thanks

I have to say, he actually started to grow on me a bit. If you watch the KM-PX-Onslaught video, he can be kinda crazy when paired with PX. His green is excellent, obviously his best ability. When I started ignoring the damage component of his blue and used it only to setup auto-matches or match 4 and 5's the more useful it became. Not sure how good he is without PX on the team but with PX he can be a blast. When KM hits tokens I think I'm gonna bust the hoard, I want more Apoc and KM and Onslaught aren't terrible additions to the roster.
    tyvm for the info :) thank god i have prof x. ive been enjoying profx karnak and maybe thor or even im40 lately. it adds diversity to the pve. so i think onslaught can be good on that team. thanks again
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I can't remember whIch thread I posted it but I tracked the number of match-5 in Killmonger PvP and out of 40 matches, 22 matches have at least one match-5. The critieria I used were:

1) either the match starts with a match-5 
    2) a match-5 occurs after a match or casacade and it is due to tiles dropping from outside of 8x8 board.

I hardly call it confirmation bias. Now, ask yourself, do you see at least see a match-5 that is meant for you to match every 2 matches?
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    I can't remember whIch thread I posted it but I tracked the number of match-5 in Killmonger PvP and out of 40 matches, 22 matches have at least one match-5. The critieria I used were:

1) either the match starts with a match-5 
    2) a match-5 occurs after a match or casacade and it is due to tiles dropping from outside of 8x8 board.

I hardly call it confirmation bias. Now, ask yourself, do you see at least see a match-5 that is meant for you to match every 2 matches?
    40 matches is nowhere near statistically significant.
    Do you track match-5 appearances in all matches you play?
  • liminal_lad
    liminal_lad Posts: 459 Mover and Shaker
    Are we assuming he's in Latest legends next Monday?
  • HoundofShadow
    1000 matches are crazy. I think I'll just leave it as that. 

He should be in latest on the 27th. It's typically two weeks after the last day of their CP stores.

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    A char whose his only presence increases match 5 tiles should:
    -at least be informed by devs
    -it should be a passive 
    -it would be arguably one of the best 5* passives
    -in a onslaught  PX team they would be unstoppables.
  • HoundofShadow
    I have played over 1000 matches but I don't get at least one match-5 for me to match every 2 matches, like what happened in Killmonger PvP. If getting at least 1 match-5 every 2 match is common, I won't be bothered to suspect this. So, I'm going to stick with my belief, and you stick with yours.  :)
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    1000 matches may seem like a lot, but it’s still a relatively small sample size for statistical analysis.
  • HoundofShadow
    1000 matches record will take me at least 12.5 weeks of PvPs. Getting 1000 matches record with Killmonger as my opponent will take me years. I've better things to do than this. Anyway, I'm not forcing anyone to agree with my experiences. What I do with this belief is that whenever Killmonger is one of my opponents, I'll be prepared to get a higher rate of match-5, just like how I'm prepared to eat a few Signal Boosts from Prof X.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    So I see lots of people posting on whether a certain sample size is or is not large enough to tell us anything, but I haven't seen anyone on either side of the argument put any actual math behind it. As an oversimplified and not intended to apply to any specifically aforementioned example, I studied math in college and recall situations similar to where if you believe that the probability of an event occurring was 0.000001%, and in 40 observations you had 20+ successes, that would actually be more than enough observations to say that you are X% sure the true probability is greater than 0.000001%.

All I'm saying is there's space here for someone to settle the argument using math and I know we've got some mathemagicians floating around the forum (come out, come out, wherever you are...)
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited July 2020
    helix72 said:
    ,but I haven't seen anyone on either side of the argument put any actual math behind it.

All I'm saying is there's space here for someone to settle the argument using math and I know we've got some mathemagicians floating around the forum (come out, come out, wherever you are...)
    So my argument is that I played all the 75 wins on the same pvp and I didnt notice inusual 5 matchings.
    I dont believe there was no other forumer who played it not reporting this inusual phenomenom if it was experienced.
    So maybe the maths apply on the side of hound for breaking incredible probability records.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    helix72 said:
    So I see lots of people posting on whether a certain sample size is or is not large enough to tell us anything, but I haven't seen anyone on either side of the argument put any actual math behind it. As an oversimplified and not intended to apply to any specifically aforementioned example, I studied math in college and recall situations similar to where if you believe that the probability of an event occurring was 0.000001%, and in 40 observations you had 20+ successes, that would actually be more than enough observations to say that you are X% sure the true probability is greater than 0.000001%.

You'd be right if an opening match-5 was thought to be an incredibly uncommon phenomenon, and seeing it with any frequency immediately disproved that. But mathematically, it's not that unlikely to begin with. Him seeing it multiple times is likely either exaggerated, confirmation bias, or a happy coincidence that will work itself out to average numbers in enough time.If it were an observable feature, he wouldn't have been the only one to notice by now.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    So today I finished Killmonger and champed him.

He has some sort-of utility in PVE if you can face a team with high AP costs.....

I can't figure out any reason to bring him into PVP or who to run him with.  Is there any reason to try him out?  I mean...I just don't know.

Anyone been using him at all?
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    I used him on the essentials in DPvsMPQ and umm, he didnt do much of anything. He's not champed but at 10 covers, he still seems completely useless.

I dont want to give the enemy team crits, I'd much rather use those. His traps are good, 10 AP is high cost but the more you wait the better I suppose.

His black passive really should do more (like Teen Jean... who is a 4* btw). No stun, no damage, doesnt even end the enemy turn...    So underwhelming overall.
  • sinnerjfl
    sinnerjfl Posts: 1,260 Chairperson of the Boards
    Follow-up after having him champed and KM being essential in TaT. I still don't like him because it's a weird playstyle but it kind of works when you use him as intented.

I'd say 5/4/4 is ideal in general, losing out minimal damage in purple and red to max out the passive black damage.

I think he works best with a crit generator (Karnak, Chavez) or someone to feed him red so he can make more himself. The general idea is to generate as many crits as possible, match the ones in your strongest color and leave those in the enemy's weakest that way you don't get hurt as much. Let them match crits and watch them suicide, its 28k per crit (Apoc/Okoye boosting is even better of course). It works, it's just suicidal unless you bring a tank.

Purple can be used as a good finisher on someone who just tried to match a crit as well, should KO most enemies with only a few traps.

He's much more usable with tile movers, and purple will be deadlier too because no goons firing off powers every turn. Not sure about his use in PVP as he requires a team built around him and team composition is more limited.