When are covers decided exactly ?

Options
BlixTheFrog
BlixTheFrog Posts: 190 Tile Toppler
Ok, bear with me.
Today, daily ritual with my kids, they draw the tokens and spend my Command Points. Since Season ended this morning there was a lot to do.
Long story short we ended up after many tokens with one LL token left and 30 CP to use. We don't have Apocalypse so kids want to use 25 CP in the LL shop. We draw a Bishop with the LL token and a Iron Man Hulkbuster with the 25 CP.
But while we were finishing this, my wife actually cut the power on the Internet to do some work on the electricity, so we weren't actually online when we did our last tokens. Surprise, a bit later when I open the game again : The LL token is back, so are the 30 CP, so are the handful of other tokens we had left before the power was out.
So I use the tokens again, and it appears I get exactly the same covers. I use the LL token, Bishop is drawn.
So I figured, hey, why lose 5 CP on a four stars ? So I use 20 CPs on a Classic Legend instead. Got a Sandman, but ended up with 5 more CP than I used to.
So I take from this that the "result" of the tokens is already decided when you get the token, but what about the CP ? Does this mean my next LL draw will be Iron Man Hulkbuster whatever I do ? Should I wait to get it with a LL token and spend CPs on Classic Legends till then ? Are those things reset at some point ? Is it something I can do on a regular basis, cut off the Internet, try spending 25 CP in the LL Vault then reconnect and spend 20 CP in Classic if the draw was bad ? Or do I misunderstand how all this work ?

Comments

• Waddles_Pines
    Waddles_Pines Posts: 1,192 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Token draws in stores are predetermined so you can't game the system.  Any talk of gaming the system and the mods will descend upon this thread...
  • BlixTheFrog
    Options
    Token draws in stores are predetermined so you can't game the system.  Any talk of gaming the system and the mods will descend upon this thread...

That's really not the main point of this, I just want to understand how it works. I understand tokens are predetermined, I can't wrap my head around the concept of CP purchases being predetermined.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options

That's really not the main point of this, I just want to understand how it works. I understand tokens are predetermined, I can't wrap my head around the concept of CP purchases being predetermined.

A CP purchase is no different than opening a token. What's predetermined is what happens the next time you 'draw' from the store/vault etc.
    As a simple way to understand things, imagine that the numbers range from 1-1000. The first 150 numbers are 5* (50 numbers per 5*) and the other 850 are split among the 4*. The game pre-rolls your future numbers for each store/vault. So lets say the next 2 numbers in your Latest Legends are 200 and 220. It doesn't matter whether you use 2 LT token, 50 CP or 1 LT and 25 CP, the next 2 draws are going to be 200 and 220.
    KGB
  • BlixTheFrog
    Options
    KGB said:

A CP purchase is no different than opening a token. What's predetermined is what happens the next time you 'draw' from the store/vault etc.
    As a simple way to understand things, imagine that the numbers range from 1-1000. The first 150 numbers are 5* (50 numbers per 5*) and the other 850 are split among the 4*. The game pre-rolls your future numbers for each store/vault. So lets say the next 2 numbers in your Latest Legends are 200 and 220. It doesn't matter whether you use 2 LT token, 50 CP or 1 LT and 25 CP, the next 2 draws are going to be 200 and 220.
    KGB
    Ooookay... So the 1:7 chances of getting a 5 stars, in the long run, is actually a guarantee ?
    And I guess for the Latest Legends Vault, to use your example, 200 or 220 will be « first cover for Latest 5 stars available » and not « First cover for Apocalypse » ?
    Thank you, I have a clearer vision of this now.
  • KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,937 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options

Ooookay... So the 1:7 chances of getting a 5 stars, in the long run, is actually a guarantee ?

spider man lol GIF

Actually in my example 1-50 would be a cover for the latest 5 star (Apoc). 51-100 would be second latest 5 star (Yelena) and 101-150 the 3rd latest 5* (IHulk). 151-1000 would be a 4* cover. But yes, you understand the gist of it now that the pre-rolled numbers are per store and not by how you pay for the draw (LT, CP).
    KGB

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    As a cheating prevention system, draws are predetermined for each store (independent of the resources used to make a purchase from the store).  There are a ton of quirks and details that we could discuss at great lengths (see KGB's post for some clarification) but for purposes of your question:
    Your next latest legendary purchased will be the same whether you use CP or LT.  In fact, if I read your post correctly, your next latest store purchase is very likely to be IMHB no matter what else you do in the meantime.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options

On a long enough timeline, yes, you should be guaranteed a 15% pull rate.  However, take that with a giant grain of salt as the amount of pulls you can take is nowhere near the sample size required to get enough data points for just yourself.

What that means is that you may have a 10% pull rate over 200 pulls and another player may have a 20% pull rate over 200 pulls.  The next 200 may be swapped so that it's always 15% across the board.  But you never know where you are in that scheme of things.

Occasionally though...  They reset and it starts over.  So if you were at 10% hoping for that big run of 5s because you were "due," it may just start all over.

Personally, I usually just pull as I go and not worry about it.  I can't change the predetermined odds, so why stress about it?  The only manipulation I employ is to start hoarding resources after I've fully covered the oldest 5* in latest, then spend out that hoard after they character leaves and the new one arrives.  Lather, rinse, repeat.  
  • pheregas
    Options
    Vhailorx said:
    A In fact, if I read your post correctly, your next latest store purchase is very likely to be IMHB no matter what else you do in the meantime.
    There is a small chance it could change depending on what 4*s are added between seasons though, right?
  • abmoraz
    abmoraz Posts: 712 Critical Contributor
    Options
    pheregas said:
    Vhailorx said:
    A In fact, if I read your post correctly, your next latest store purchase is very likely to be IMHB no matter what else you do in the meantime.
    There is a small chance it could change depending on what 4*s are added between seasons though, right?

Each card in the shop is assigned a number range.  His number for the next pull has already been determined.  The only way for him NOT to draw the IMHB is if that (hidden) number gets assigned to a different cover when the shop changes
  • pheregas
    Options
    abmoraz said:
    pheregas said:
    Vhailorx said:

Each card in the shop is assigned a number range.  His number for the next pull has already been determined.  The only way for him NOT to draw the IMHB is if that (hidden) number gets assigned to a different cover when the shop changes

• BlixTheFrog
    Options
    pheregas said:
    abmoraz said:
    pheregas said:
    Vhailorx said:

Lol.
    Actually, that indicates me that I should use a LL token for this IMHP instead of spending 25 CPs for it. I'll try explaining that long post from abmoraz to my kids, should be fun. :D:D:D