Cannot replace token stack with summoned creature [Fix in 4.4]

BlessedOne
BlessedOne Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
If one of the three creatures on your field is a stack of tokens, a creature summoned from your graveyard or elsewhere, cannot replace those tokens.
One example is I could not replace a stack of Kaya's spirits with a creature I pulled from the graveyard with Finale of Eternity. 
I've had several other examples while playing Fateful Showdown.
Seems the tokens cannot be replaced with a creature casted from your hand, either.

Comments

• Julie71
    Julie71 MTGPQ Mod Posts: 707 Critical Contributor
    Also happens with casting a creature.  Several reports of trying to replace tokens.  And the tokens will disappear but will not replace with the creature that was cast.
  • Firinmahlazer
    Firinmahlazer Posts: 417 Mover and Shaker
    Julie71 said:
    Also happens with casting a creature.  Several reports of trying to replace tokens.  And the tokens will disappear but will not replace with the creature that was cast.
    Witnessed this today. It happened specifically when swapping Nissa tokens with Raveger Wurm. It asked me to replace a creature, I clicked the tokens, they disappeared, it asked me to replace another creature, I clicked cancel, Ravager Wurm never went on to the board.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ahhh I thought I ran into an issue yesterday like this, but I wasn't paying attention and wasn't sure what I missed.
    Thanks for the heads up
  • coldity
    coldity Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    I can confirm this issue...

Stumbled upon it today while playing a training grounds match.. I've had a bunch of Garruk2's wolf tokens, after I tried to replace them by another (non token) creature the wolf tokens disappeared from the board, but the creature didn't replace them...

• TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker
    Yep I experienced this yesterday playing with a Nissa deck. I selected an Elemental's token stack to be replaced, but they just disappeared, and the creature I was summoning (Gaea - but this doesn't seem important what the creature is) didn't go into play. Instead I was asked to select one of my remaining two creatures to be replaced with the Gaea. I did this and the Gaea successfully came into play.
  • Zethish
    Zethish Posts: 44 Just Dropped In
    I'll just throw my hat in and confirm that I have also experienced this issue several times.
  • Magic:PQ Support Team
    Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,257 Chairperson of the Boards
    Thank you for the feedback!
    This issue is now under investigation.
  • TheHunter
    Hi @Oktagon_Support yesterday greg was able to replace a token! I filled his last creature slot with a Frog token, greg had Sandwurm Convergence in play (the Samut level of Trial of Zeal) and the Frog was bumped for a Sandwurm.

• Tarjei
    Tarjei Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    I spotted this issue multiple times, but couldn't spot other pattern than swapping with creature tokens. For a moment I thought this might be connected with stacks or place (middle e.g.), but after it occurred once during a match I wasn't able to reproduce it at any other point during it.
  • naabaldan
    naabaldan Posts: 440 Mover and Shaker
    I don't like this bug because it limits my playstyle. pls fixed this asap.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's turning cards like Turn to Frog into an actual powerhouse, because you lose a turn replacing the frog with something of use.
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Have this happen almost every match now.  Game changing glitch.  Can seriously sabotage your board state.
  • Bubbles_CS
    Bubbles_CS Posts: 332 Mover and Shaker
    Have this happen almost every match now.  Game changing glitch.  Can seriously sabotage your board state.
    Ditto.
  • TheHunter
    Yup, and all the more infuriating because greg CAN replace tokens.
    This, along with the still-present mana bug, are completely ruining the game. I hope they're no. 1 & 2 on @Oktagon_Support priorities list.
  • FindingHeart8
    edited June 2020
    Okay, now it's not just token replacement, but whenever I replace a creature from an enter the battlefield effect and there is already 3 creatures(ex: killer instinct, purphoros, graveyard recursion spells) it eliminates my creature on the board and does not give me the new creature. Both just vanish.

That's a 2 creature loss + wasted mana for a spell that just fizzles.

This is absolutely carastrophic to gameplay :(
  • TheHunter
    Okay, now it's not just token replacement, but whenever I replace a creature from an enter the battlefield effect and there is already 3 creatures(ex: killer instinct, purphoros, graveyard recursion spells) it eliminates my creature on the board and does not give me the new creature. Both just vanish.

I just tried to recreate this @FindingHeart8 using a NB1 creature-heavy deck. I used Cauldron's Gift, Killer Instinct and Golos to fetch creatures onto the battlefield, and I used NBs third ability once to try this out. Every time I had three creatures and replaced a creature, the new creature came in successfully. I played a few games (in Standard TG) and made sure I'd replaced a creature using each of the different ways available to me. All worked fine. The only fail was when I put a Zombie stack in place (from NBs second) and then tried to replace this. In this case, the bug happened and the Zombie tokens disappeared leaving me to bin the incoming creature or replace another creature on the field. All the non-token creature replacement worked fine.
    I don't know why this happened to you and not to me - could it be planeswalker specific? Was it always non-token creatures you were trying to replace? Seems unlikely, but I don't know what else to say. This is a rotten bug and ruining the gameplay experience, more so even than the mana swap bug.

• BlessedOne
    BlessedOne Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    This token replacement bug ruins my game play more than the mana swap issue. I have to add an additional thought/step every turn to consider if I want to replace my tokens. If I absolutely need to drop a creature over a token stack, I wait until I have two creatures in my hand.
    This should have been fixed before the last event.
  • FindingHeart8
    Xucachris said:

I just tried to recreate this @FindingHeart8 using a NB1 creature-heavy deck. I used Cauldron's Gift, Killer Instinct and Golos to fetch creatures onto the battlefield, and I used NBs third ability once to try this out. Every time I had three creatures and replaced a creature, the new creature came in successfully. I played a few games (in Standard TG) and made sure I'd replaced a creature using each of the different ways available to me. All worked fine. The only fail was when I put a Zombie stack in place (from NBs second) and then tried to replace this. In this case, the bug happened and the Zombie tokens disappeared leaving me to bin the incoming creature or replace another creature on the field. All the non-token creature replacement worked fine.
    I don't know why this happened to you and not to me - could it be planeswalker specific? Was it always non-token creatures you were trying to replace? Seems unlikely, but I don't know what else to say. This is a rotten bug and ruining the gameplay experience, more so even than the mana swap bug.

Shoot maybe you're right.  I'm pretty sure it was NB1 where the recursion glitches happened.  I have an all-demon deck and the my recursion spells + cards listed above caused the glitch I mentioned.  I don't think I had zombies out from Bolas's second ability, but I guess it is possible.  I was thinking the token ability was limited to Zendikar Nissa.
  • TheHunter
    I don't have Purphoros - nice card! The two scenarios I didn't try were 'From Hand to Battlefield' (Purphoros) and 'From Exile to Battlefield' - can't remember what card or PW ability does that, I'm sure something does.
  • FindingHeart8
    Update: This glitch is still happening