*** Daredevil (Man Without Fear) ***

Comments

• Hi guys, need some advice.

I went 4/4/5. Is this a good idea?

His Blue and Purple seems like a tweaked version of Black Widow's move. Making it triggered and lower cost doesn't seem like a good idea though.

For 11 Purple, I can get OBW to steal 4 of all AP, instead of 6 at a much lower chance of occurence, where it could be easily countered.

And his stun, well, I can pretty much get MBW to do the same thing at slightly higher cost, and stunning the entire team.

Neither seemed like good choices, except red. So I figured, might as well average out the two. Since using more than one kind of trap is better anyway.
  • mechgouki wrote:
    Hi guys, need some advice.

I went 4/4/5. Is this a good idea?

His Blue and Purple seems like a tweaked version of Black Widow's move. Making it triggered and lower cost doesn't seem like a good idea though.

For 11 Purple, I can get OBW to steal 4 of all AP, instead of 6 at a much lower chance of occurence, where it could be easily countered.

And his stun, well, I can pretty much get MBW to do the same thing at slightly higher cost, and stunning the entire team.

Neither seemed like good choices, except red. So I figured, might as well average out the two. Since using more than one kind of trap is better anyway.
    Frankly speaking, 5/3/5 or 4/4/5 both aren't all that different. However, I do agree with PorkBelly that when you need to stun an opponent, it is usually for a specific purpose(like preventing certain skills from going off). That being said, even though both skills are really not all that good due to the random traps nature, purple would still be much more beneficial than blue imo. Randomly stealing your opponent's AP is much better than just randomly stunning 1 member of the opposed team, and since the difference between lv 3 and 4 of Blue is merely 1 more turn of stun, it doesn't seem as good compared to being able to steal 1 more AP of every colour(although it's not very likely for the opponent to have more than 6 AP in every colour).

In the very few times I used Daredevil, there's hardly any need to rely on either purple or blue to trigger at all, other than for the fun factor of watching it go off. To sum it all up, like some have mentioned, it really doesn't matter what build as long as you got 5 Red.

On a side note~~ I actually posted some suggestions on how to change Daredevil's trap mechanic >>> viewtopic.php?f=8&t=5298 <<< so it will be nice to get some feedback and discussion, yes? What, no? Okay...
  • Great idea. At least dd will be more fun then it is now.
  • famousfoxking
    famousfoxking Posts: 245 Tile Toppler
    Generally, I think that if the tile is generating AP the trap should be triggered, but if the trap is being "destroyed (does not generate AP) then it should be disarmed. The Storms, Hood, and MnMagneto's red (as examples) should trigger; whereas Juggernaut, Rags, or MnMagneto's blue (again, just three examples) should disarm. Right now, 1 star Storm is far too much of a counter to DD (for 5 red she can disarm his purple with 100% reliability, and with 10 green she can have a very good chance of disarming any of his traps). If her abilities triggered traps, DD would instead be a counter to her, but I'm much more comfortable with a 3* being superior to a 1* than the reverse.

Strike tiles, or other tile buffs disarming... ugh. I understand why they do it, but I'd vastly prefer they not. Graphically, there should be no problem with a tile being both a strike tile and a trap tile, since the trap tile graphic is a reticle overlay. It would be nice if the trap overlays were different, because once a red trap tile and a blue trap tile have both been made green by Thunderstrike, it can be difficult to remember which was which. That's pretty minor.
  • Infrared wrote:
    In case this hasn't been covered yet, I can confirm that Thor's Thunder Strike does not disarm traps.

I was up against Mags, Thor and Daken. Had a blue trap out when Thor activated his yellow skill, and the Thunder Strike simply changed its colour to green. Which resulted in a match. Which resulted in a stunned Daken. Good times.

I can confirm this happens with MN.Magneto's Polatiry Shift (Pink) as well. I thought I would be clever in the PvE Simulator and disarm a red trap and BOOM... bye bye magneto.
  • over_clocked
    over_clocked Posts: 3,961
    Ditto, both Magnetos actually trigger the traps (cMagneto blue and MMN purple). I'm still ashamed from losing Spidey, then Doom to the Crotchdevil.
  • Yeah, the trap doesn't care about color. What does deal with traps:

1. Tile destruction via ability (not tilematching).

2. Tile overwriting into a web, protect, strike, etc. tile(locking, e.g. IW, Bagman, doesn't count).

3. Trap creator's defeat.

$. Tile movement, via CMag and Loki's abilities.

In short, WAY too fragile.
  • over_clocked
    Tile movement with abilities is the same as normal tile matching, which does trigger the traps. Also locking the tiles should negate trap effects. Not sure what you meant with 'IW, Bagman, doesn't count'.

The greatest counter to DD is modern Storm, all 3 of her abilities, but especially black and red, laugh at traps. But she's a 1*.
    Red only counters: Daken, Wolverine**, Psylocke, Doom, Punisher (sorta kinda).

I understand that placing crit tiles counts as normal matching as well, so not too many hard counters to DD actually, except the board itself. Don't you just love it when your traps land on the lone tiles at the very bottom and sit there for the most of the match.
  • Bacon Pants
    Bacon Pants Posts: 1,012
    locked wrote:
    Tile movement with abilities is the same as normal tile matching, which does trigger the traps. Also locking the tiles should negate trap effects. Not sure what you meant with 'IW, Bagman, doesn't count'.

The greatest counter to DD is modern Storm, all 3 of her abilities, but especially black and red, laugh at traps. But she's a 1*.
    Red only counters: Daken, Wolverine**, Psylocke, Doom, Punisher (sorta kinda).

I understand that placing crit tiles counts as normal matching as well, so not too many hard counters to DD actually, except the board itself. Don't you just love it when your traps land on the lone tiles at the very bottom and sit there for the most of the match.

That is why I feel that we should be able to place his tiles. It's a waste of AP when his tile gets thrown in the corner to live a lonely existence.
  • Just played in the DD guest match for SIM. Number 3 is no longer true. Destroying a row with a 4 matches the tile. Since the AI will ALWAYS take a 4, this makes it much easier to properly utilize DD traps.
  • Not sure if this is intentional, but it doesn't make sense to me. When he is downed all his traps disappear completely, yet matching his trap tiles while he is stunned still triggers them. I assumed I would be safe... is this a bug??
  • GumisK
    GumisK Posts: 372 Mover and Shaker
    I'd rather this was intentional, not just a glitch. Daredevil is so hopelessly weak compared to other 3*, just let him have this element of surprise at least.
  • Hipothetical situation:
    Daredevil in both teams. All other heroes dead. enemy matches blue tiles and is stunned for 6turns. I then match blue and I'm stunned.

What happens now? icon_e_biggrin.gif
  • Emeryt wrote:
    Hypothetical situation:
    Daredevil in both teams. All other heroes dead. enemy matches blue tiles and is stunned for 6turns. I then match blue and I'm stunned.

What happens now? icon_e_biggrin.gif

The player with attack tiles on the board gets a nice boost icon_e_biggrin.gif

Also, I don't think he's that underpowered to be honest, he's just useless on defence. Ambush and Radar are really, REALLY powerful when triggered. Still though, this doesn't make sense thematically. Personally I think a decent change would be that his traps trigger when you touch the trap tile, so if you move it to match a different line it still triggers.
  • KevinMark wrote:
    Today I won several deadly (over level 100, not maxed 230s) missions on hard sim thanks to DD's red and blue traps. Just remember to change targets accordingly. It's not nice when someone about to die gets caught with red trap icon_lol.gif

Not only that, but say you have placed two 'Ambush' traps and they happen to be in a position that the next 3 red match they'll get tripped you will get two kung fu kicks for the price of one, and I'm happy to say I saw Thor get downed very nicely. It's probably the most satisfying move in the game because you don't control it directly, only accumulate the reds and then it's all auto pilot after that and I for one really like the way they've designed him. icon_e_smile.gif

I currently have him at lvl 50 4/2/4 and his red unbuffed hits for 2704 which is more than any other red for only 7 AP which is why it's so satisfying when it lands because it is so random. It makes for a more interesting encounter and for me in pvp and pve. icon_razz.gif
  • His traps are much much much too easy to disarm. Did I say much?

Make his traps land on completely random tile colors and he'd be a little scarier. Allow placement of his tiles perhaps. Alternatively, allow tiles to have both a trap and a shield/attack/strike affect - this would make him somewhat worth using.

If his traps all cost 6 or less, maybe it wouldn't be so ridiculous.

Especially against 3 goons . . . . .
  • CptNoraa wrote:
    I wonder if they even test out characters before they release them, because in his current from DD is absolutely terrible.

I was with same opinion, but since I'm using him in LR in the tank team must say he's more than hilarious to play. Buffed doom going down from double crotch kick? Keep them coming.

It's really a shem none of the improve ideas got any reaction with some improvements I'd be happy to develop him.
  • over_clocked
    Moon 17 wrote:
    I got excited last night because I dropped an AP stealing trap onto a primely-matchable enviromental tile. I thought, "Hey--DD's going to do something for me!"

The very next round the AI over-wrote that tile with a blue shield. Really? I mean, I know that AI tile creation is painfully random, but come on. What are the chances?

(95/2048)
    The trap should have stayed, Magneto blue and MMN purple cannot disarm traps, they trigger them straight away.
  • What if the special tiles that your heroes place could trigger Daredevil traps, ie. giving you the ability to trigger them on offence. This would make Bagman the perfect companion for Daredevil as he's the only one that allows you to chose placement of webtiles. Or if Invisible Women's bubbles attaches on a trap it would trigger it offensively. Or Strike tiles! Daken and Daredevil would be perfect together for triggering Ambush offensively.
  • Clintman
    Clintman Posts: 757 Critical Contributor
    Man in this 3rd Sub they showcase just how much DD blows yet again. At least this time he isnt required on a 3 goon fight, instead you square off against Juggernaut who trashes his trap tiles every time he gets 6 green.

Every time I am somewhat tempted to level DD up, I do another even where he is utterly terrible.