***** Onslaught (Psionic Entity) *****

Comments

• Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    He can do huge damage to special tiles spammers: BRB, carnage, apoc some bit... but his invisibility power could has been replaced for other better. And same with his passive it could be match 4 since start because its practically a one shot hit.
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    I actually like him more now that I used him in the 2nd node. The AI will screw up his blue but I can make match 4s and set up match 5s easily with it. Especially since the text tells you which Strongest color turns into which weakest color. 

The attack tile he makes if his invisible tile is matched, is pretty f’n strong. 

I don’t know if I’d like to face a team of onslaught/prof X. 
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure if Onslaught+ProfX get a match 4 on turn 1, Bishop dies without ever gaining AP or firing back.
  • Bad
    Correct me if I’m wrong, but I’m pretty sure if Onslaught+ProfX get a match 4 on turn 1, Bishop dies without ever gaining AP or firing back.
    Surely yes. But after that what surely will happen is PX fighting on his own because it will be hard to continue doing cascades until downing all team. 
    On the other hand PX is not a scarecrow and this onslaught a lot less knowing that has a power useless for AI and other 2 nasty but randomly. So on pvp there are so many better options imo
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    I actually don't think he will end up being Wasp-tier bad (seems more meh-to-decent than truly bad to me), but I kinda hope we will just so the "Nonslaught" handle can stick.  That's a great nickname to whoever thought of it (I saw it from Bluewolf first, but s/he disclaimed creating it). 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Vhailorx said:
    I actually don't think he will end up being Wasp-tier bad (seems more meh-to-decent than truly bad to me), but I kinda hope we will just so the "Nonslaught" handle can stick.  That's a great nickname to whoever thought of it (I saw it from Bluewolf first, but s/he disclaimed creating it). 
    His green is way to good to be Wasp level bad, but the other powers are pretty meh.

For me, looks like the biggest problem is that his blue will not create enough cascades most of the times. We knew the purple was bad, and that the damage for his blue was very dependent on who was fighting against but I was expecting blue cascades to be better and to feed his green way more (both adding new team ups, and also making match-4s), but looks like this is not true. And without his blue working he does not work at all. 

He is a one trick pony, that gets diminishing returns the longer the match BUT he is still better than Wasp  :lol:

• NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    He seems pretty strong to me, he has a lot of potential synergy with characters that are good at board manipulation, plus he's tanky and has high match damage. I'm only beginning to enter the 4*land though so my opinion may be poorly informed.

Also is it just me or should you not be able to play Magneto or Professor X with Onslaught on the team? I mean he IS a version of both of them.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    Anon said:
    One thing I noticed is how massive Onslaught is in battle. When hes in front you cant see anything behind him.
    Well then, he should be good for some amusing posts on the subReddit, if nothing else.

EDIT:  I realize it's somewhat academic, but this post still says "New character ******" and hasn't been updated with the actual Onslaught details.....

I am glad he's in the game as he was the driving force behind Age of Apocalypse, maybe we will get one or more variants from that story in game.  I think he could be interesting in some nodes, too.
    Onslaught wasn't involved with Age of Apocalypse - that was Legion. In fact if the events of Age of Apocalypse had not been undone then Onslaught couldn't exist. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:
    Anon said:
    One thing I noticed is how massive Onslaught is in battle. When hes in front you cant see anything behind him.
    Well then, he should be good for some amusing posts on the subReddit, if nothing else.

EDIT:  I realize it's somewhat academic, but this post still says "New character ******" and hasn't been updated with the actual Onslaught details.....

I am glad he's in the game as he was the driving force behind Age of Apocalypse, maybe we will get one or more variants from that story in game.  I think he could be interesting in some nodes, too.
    Onslaught wasn't involved with Age of Apocalypse - that was Legion. In fact if the events of Age of Apocalypse had not been undone then Onslaught couldn't exist. 
    Oh, I had gotten it mixed up with Heroes Reborn. He made that travesty happen. Nevermind. All kudos retracted. 

Now how about that Legion fellow?
  • Bad
    edited June 2020

Also is it just me or should you not be able to play Magneto or Professor X with Onslaught on the team? I mean he IS a version of both of them.

His icon gem is the shape of his helmet. Magneto uses his helmet too but its another one. So that confirms it. In fact if he couldnt work with PX he would lose his most appeal.
    I agree with that said before, it looks like his purpose to exist is being an extension of PX.
    Matching 4 or using PX purple to renove the board for getting more TU on use.
    But as I said this duo is not enough on competitive pvp. On pve they could shine more but they need another parter, be it a board shaker, or another one who can take profit matching cascades.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2020
    I think his weakness and strength will depend a lot on, if you want to have a special tile generator on your team, that's if the enemy team doesn't have one. If they enemy team has a tile spammer then they are doing you a favor, but if not and you want blue to hit for high damage you'll need some help from a tile generator.

Either way if you're going to use Onslaught plus a tile spammer, that's 2 spots  on your team that you may be keeping more powerful characters sidelined just to fuel Onslaughts blue. I think Onslaught seems like a really fun character to play, his high health and chance to go invisible also IMO lessens his downfalls a bit. He's going to be someone who will take a little longer to down them some characters. 

Purple is nice with the strong attack tile. Even if invisibility is removed matching just one trap tile, its still going to make someone with the high health he has a pain to play against sometimes. The attack tile might not last long enough typically to be a major benefit but who knows. Be interesting to see Onslaughts attack tile getting buffed to see how high you can get the damage to ramp up. 

Green is decent being passive for what it does. It can suffer from getting a bad board certainly, but still will add a little board shake. Although in matches where you happen to get a few match 4 or 5s close together, probably not going to have had enough time between each for more team up tiles to have found their way on the board, so this abilitly can suffer quite a bit from diminishing returns. 

Edit- Thought purple created a strike tile, think I like him even more knowing it's an attack tile instead. Having an attack tile that starts between 1294-2493 damage depending on how many covers sounds fun. But as much as many of us would like to pair him with Prof5 I don't see myself using Onslaughts purple over Profs. Still using Onslaught with other teams, the purple could be pretty decent. 
  • Bad
    If he created an strike tile it would be a good power. Sadly is an atack tile. So altought all heavy it can be is not so good.
    Being purple its really annoying given that PX only has purple. So even with that is not sure wich power of both AI will fire.
    So it will remain mostly as a sneaky way to save a lost battle .
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:
    Anon said:

Oh, I had gotten it mixed up with Heroes Reborn. He made that travesty happen. Nevermind. All kudos retracted. 

The Onslaught storyline also resolved Bishop's "Who betrayed the X-Men" story arc (in my opinion not very satisfactory) - I doubt we will get him in the story but that might spice things up!
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2020
    Vhailorx said:
    I rattled 'Nonslaught' off a while ago in a Line chat where it was the first mention active players had heard, but to be honest someone would have come up with that soon enough.  Runner up was On-slop :smiley:
  • NemoAbernnigan
    NemoAbernnigan Posts: 188 Tile Toppler
    Bad said:

His icon gem is the shape of his helmet. Magneto uses his helmet too but its another one. So that confirms it. In fact if he couldnt work with PX he would lose his most appeal.
    I agree with that said before, it looks like his purpose to exist is being an extension of PX.
    Matching 4 or using PX purple to renove the board for getting more TU on use.
    But as I said this duo is not enough on competitive pvp. On pve they could shine more but they need another parter, be it a board shaker, or another one who can take profit matching cascades. 

I just meant that storywise Onslaught is literally a psionic fusion of Professor X and Magneto, so it just feels wrong to me that playing him doesn't lock out Prof and Mags the way it would if you were trying to use 4* and 5* Professor X at the same time, for instance. Gameplay wise the two of them might be necessary for any meta worthiness, it just bothers me on an obsessive True Believer kind of level.

bluewolf said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    bluewolf said:
    Anon said:

I'm really hoping we get a strong 4* Legion at some point. Based more on the comic version than the show version. I'm thinking something like how 5* Professor X casts different powers based on tile color, but instead of just casting an ability it changes his form, replacing his second active ability and granting his third ability, which I'm imagining would be a constant passive that holds for all forms, an active ability, the use of which  could be a way for him to transform back into his base form. Maybe make the transformation something with a bit of an uncontrollable factor to better simulate Legion's incomplete control over his alters. Like maybe instead of choosing what form to transform into it's a board shuffle ability that then shifts your form based on what color is most prevalent on the board after it ends.

There are a lot of ways they could do it, but I would personally love it if he was an incredibly strong character with nigh endless potential, but also an unstable and uncontrollable factor to the way he plays. The best part of Legion in my mind is that while he is one of the most powerful characters in Marvel, an Omega level mutant with vast reality warping capabilities, he is also mentally ill and his limitless potential is thus limited by his inability to control his alters or access their powers himself. Makes him one of the most sympathetic and relatable characters to me personally.

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    It would be nearly impossible to code, but I would love to see a legion that had different abilities in all slots per persona. Also changing colors.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    Did a match 4 in the 3rd node of his mini PVE event, his green goes off before profs blue. Guess that's good as his cascades can create some match 4 opportunities for prof. 

• MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    tonypq said:
    Did a match 4 in the 3rd node of his mini PVE event, his green goes off before profs blue. Guess that's good as his cascades can create some match 4 opportunities for prof.
    That's probably because Onslaugt is in the middle for that node.  If the order was switched, Prof X would do his thing first.
  • Bad
    I guess we finally found a use for northstar, isnt it?
    PX, onslaught and northstar for pve scl10. 
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Actually, I find northstar to be pretty effective against the hulk/vulture combo.