What should I do about the current Latests?

Options
helix72
helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
Some stats:
I have no 5*s champed, however, I have these at 13 covers: Kitty, Okoye, Beta Ray, Prof X, Sinister, Cable, and Black Widow
My Thor is at 10 (5/4/1) and my Hawkeye is at 6 (2/2/2)
I have at least 4 covers of every other 5*
I have every 4* champed except Hellcat (none max champed)
I play PvE to full progression and PvP to 1000. I've never played for placement really, the real world gets in the way.

I'm sitting on:

iHulk 3/0/2 + 725 shards
Yelena 1/1/1 + 675 shards
Apocalypse 2/0/1 + 425 shards
218 LTs
4415 CP

C'mon...you KNOW you like giving your opinion! And I especially appreciate those who explain the reasoning behind the answers.

Whatever comes of this and whatever I decide I'll post once I hear from forumites.

What should I do about the current Latests? 13 votes

Start pulling now and only stop when ______ (please comment on when you'd stop)
100%
wymtimeaxmosshalirinJackDeath666nwahs086jp1spidyjedi84Madroxh3dbngrGreenroomIIAlonditeIIAkromaNemoAbernnigan 13 votes
Don't pull anymore until _____ (please comment on when you'd start)
0%

Comments

• krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    Do either and get frustrated when you can’t keep up in a month?
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Sharget Thor, pull until you cover Yelena, IHulk, Apocalypse. It’s a strong trio to go with some of your already great fully covered 5s. I’d champ them to 450 then wait for Onslaught.

Thorkoye is still important especially in PVE.
    Yelena is great with Gritty.
    Apoc is supposedly unmissable.
    Ihulk is just a step away from Meta as well...if a better partner comes around. Besides he is great fun.

Seems like a no brainer to bust a hoard on these at least until they are done.
  • spidyjedi84
    spidyjedi84 Posts: 514 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2020
    Options
    This batch is good enough I'd only stop pulling when I'm at 5 on two covers for iHulk and unsure if you can get the third cover for his other power adequately covered without grabbing/wasting too many pulls, and only stop then until he rolls out of latests, since he should be the first to leave. You've got a lot of shargeting you can do with draws to boost Thor and Hawkeye and get yourself two separate metas to play with in PVP if you ever dabble there. 
  • nwahs086
    nwahs086 Posts: 79 Match Maker
    Options
    I agree with everything @jp1 said. I'll add if you have iso to champ all your 5 stars, Kitty, Okoye, Beta Ray, Prof X are the most useful of the one you already have fully covered. Especially BRB for PVP.

Onslaught will be great with Prof X. iHulk is amazing with Okoye. Gritty is good for goons in PVE since you don't have Thor yet. Your PVP roster is very strong and diverse.

Cover the 3 in latest, stop pulling until Onslaught joins. Hope another great 5 comes after that bc Apoc and Onslaught are looking powerful.
  • helix72
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Thanks everyone who gave advice. I decided to pull. After 181 pulls, here is where I am:

5 iHulk now 4/2/4
    10 Yelena now 1/5/7
    14 Apocalypse now 6/4/7

A 16.0% pull rate but unfortunately I got the most covers for the newest latest and the least covers for the oldest latest. At this point I'm afraid to keep pulling Since I only need iHulk any color or Yelena Red, so only 4/5 of the covers matter for me.

I chose to sharget Hawkeye. If I ever max champ my 4 *Valkyrie, I'll get the shards I need to finish the Thunder God, but even with max champing 4* Kate Bishop I'll still be two covers short on HE.

After such a long time with hundreds of LTs, it is weird to see the number sit at only 37, and remembering the time it took me over 100 pulls to get single cover for 5* Carnage. Let's hope Onslaught fares better.

PS: my 4* champ levels returned another 14 LTs so I'm back up to 51. Still a long way from the 300+ I had before I chased Beta Ray and now this group.
  • shardwick
    shardwick Posts: 2,121 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    Well, I wouldn't say it's unfortunate because you got the most covers for the best of the three and even though your Hulk isn't fully covered he will still be a pretty solid scarecrow with Okoye.
  • IIAlonditeII
    IIAlonditeII Posts: 150 Tile Toppler
    Options
    champ iHulk and Ap\oc
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    Set hawkeye as target and pull from this set.  Don't stop until you get IH to your desired level (either 13/13 covers/shards or whatever higher level you like). 

My reasoning:

(1) Hawkeye is the most important meta character you are missing and classics are very hard to cover.  Thor would also be a good option if you want to champ him, but since you already have 5 green covers, you can actually get almost all the value from him while ensuring that he doesn't tank very much at all).  the only alternative to this is hoarding cp for a HE specialty store.  But then you are saddled with the other two 5*s as well, making things hit or miss.

(2) This LT set is good, likely the best since Prof X/Carnage/BRB (somebody started a whole thread on that topic!).  And there are not many sets this good given the rarity of high-value 5*s.  Both IH and Apoc seem good enough that they either are part of the meta right now or could plausibly become so with future releases.  Yelena is not awful given her extremely good red passive. 

(3) You have enough pulls hoarded to be fairly certain of getting IH covered with pulls to spare, so the marginal value of hoarding longer for an even bigger hoard seems quite small (unless you really want to join the level 550 crowd).

(4) when you get IH to your target level, then look at yelena and apoc; if they aren't already covered, then deciding whether to cover them now means weighing the value of (i) potentially getting excess IH covers against (ii) being stuck with covers for less desirable 5*s like onslaught.  need more data to decide that.

• helix72
    Options
    On the basis of the additional comments and my one day of experience with iHulk + Vulture being able to clear any node (maybe not fast, but at least clear), I decided to pull until I got 1 more iHulk cover. With that I’d have 11 plus 975 shards once I earn all the current PvE awards so with a little shargeting my iHulk will be 13. 13 pulls, one more saved Yello Apoc and a Red iHulk and my plan was realized!

Thanks to everyone who gave advice, honestly the player forum interactions are a big reason why I keep playing. I used to say forum interactions without player in front but that’s because I’ve been playing long enough to remember when the devs used to interact, but I digress...
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,069 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    helix72 said:
    On the basis of the additional comments and my one day of experience with iHulk + Vulture being able to clear any node (maybe not fast, but at least clear), I decided to pull until I got 1 more iHulk cover. With that I’d have 11 plus 975 shards once I earn all the current PvE awards so with a little shargeting my iHulk will be 13. 13 pulls, one more saved Yello Apoc and a Red iHulk and my plan was realized!

Thanks to everyone who gave advice, honestly the player forum interactions are a big reason why I keep playing. I used to say forum interactions without player in front but that’s because I’ve been playing long enough to remember when the devs used to interact, but I digress...
    You have a really good crew to jump head first into 5* land at any time. 

The only thing I’d add is that I think people sleep on Yelena a little. Her red is amazing and paired with Gritty her green does really nice AOE. She is excellent for tearing through goon nodes.
  • BigSoftieFF
    BigSoftieFF Posts: 454 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    jp1 said:
    helix72 said:

The only thing I’d add is that I think people sleep on Yelena a little. Her red is amazing and paired with Gritty her green does really nice AOE. She is excellent for tearing through goon nodes.
    I like her as well. Wish the threshold was a bit lower though.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Options
    jp1 said:
    helix72 said:

her passive is really good.  But it's basically the only interesting thing about her.  One trick ponies can be great in mpq (e.g., 4* blade, rulk) but the trick has to be REALLY good. 

I am not yet convinced that is the case with her, but her red may play up in practice, or a good subsequent 5* release may increase enemy costs a la Prof X or peggy without the X-men requirement or 4* health pool respectively, which could make her pretty potent defensively.  In the meantime, I think she is clearly an intriguing third wheel option, but not quite in the true meta.
  • axmoss
    axmoss Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    Options
    If it were me, I'd stop if ihulk reaches 13 covers, since he's next to go.