Vigilance / Double Strike [As Designed]

critmancritman Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
edited 14 July 2020, 14:44 in MtGPQ Bugs & Technical Issues
A creature with Vigilance will block a creature with Double Strike even if the Double Strike causes it not to survive the encounter.

Comments

• jtwoodjtwood Posts: 678 Critical Contributor
    edited 23 May 2020, 21:46
    This is WAD. From the original announcement:

• If a creature with Vigilance has either First Strike or Double Strike, it will check if it's able to deliver a fatal blow on the opposing creature first, and then block or not according to that creature’s power. However, the vigilant creature will not consider if the opposing creature has any of these evergreens (First Strike or Double Strike).
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/919408

• critmancritman Posts: 230 Tile Toppler
    jtwood said:
    This is WAD. From the original announcement:

• If a creature with Vigilance has either First Strike or Double Strike, it will check if it's able to deliver a fatal blow on the opposing creature first, and then block or not according to that creature’s power. However, the vigilant creature will not consider if the opposing creature has any of these evergreens (First Strike or Double Strike).
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/comment/919408

Ok, but, I'm *sure* I've seen vigilant creatures not block creatures with First Strike if it would make them die....
  • colditycoldity Posts: 42 Just Dropped In
    What @jtwood said is right, but what actually matters is, whether the blocking, vigilant creature is going to survive the "main" attack phase, i.e. the "main damage", so the damage, which is actually not first strike damage.

Did your vigilant creature die, due to the first strike damage or actually the "main-damage"? @critman
    If it died because of the first strike damage it's actually working as designed, if it was the main phase damage, it might be a bug...

Unfortunately I don't have a link handy atm, but I'm fairly sure it's also well explained in-game when you click the description of vigilance on the respective card. I didn't notice anything, that's not working according to these rules though...

Best regards :)
  • Oktagon_SupportOktagon_Support ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    This issue is now under investigation.

Thank you for the feedback,
    Marcela.
    If Vigilance takes Prevent Damage into account, then why not take Double Strike into account? This makes no sense.

You're asking players to guess whether or not Vigilance creatures will block or not.

It's no longer about whether the Vigilance creature has enough toughness to survive the attack, it's about guessing whether or not it's evergreen abilities will make it block.
  • Oktagon_SupportOktagon_Support ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    GD Answer: "Vigilance has gone through many questions about its behavior and the final interactions. Current game behavior (the one announced last time this matter was "active") is the default and there are no plans to change it for now."
    edited 20 July 2020, 11:03
    Just to confirm: A creature with Vigilance *will* block if it has First Strike, but it would die if it didn't...

🙄