***** Onslaught (Psionic Entity) *****

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Carbage will find those loose match-Ns for you, as well as stocking the board with enemy specials for that blue. I think you'll see a decent amount of Carbage/X/<New Character> teams in sim
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2020
    Doom's yellow, when immediately following a match-4 that removes nearly all TU from the board, will be cascade crazy.
    You should probably fire off this character's blue before Doom's yellow as well.

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    Doesn't appear to - this character feels like a cascade machine though. I think they'll be very dangerous with Profe$$or X, particularly if that <affiliations> turns out to be X-Men
    The affiliation will more likely be Mutants since they are a villain.  This means with Apocalypse you have 2 84k health characters where one can go invisible and the other cannot be stunned.
    Affiliations are strange, and arbitrary it seems. 4* Juggernaut has Villain, X-Men (perhaps due to his familial relationship to Professor X?) whereas Sabretooth is simply Villains, Mutants. Mr. Sinister is merely Villains, though Apocalypse is Villains, Mutants. Dak3n is Mutants, Villains (in that order for some reason) with 2* Daken being Villains, Dark Avengers, Mutants, and Mystique is Villains, Mutants. Magn3to is Villains, Mutants, but 2* Magneto is Heroes, X-Men, Mutants. 

It often seems to me that these tags are for mechanical synergy over comics consistency- I maintain that Juggernaut has X-Men specifically to synergize with Kitty/Rocket, since he is specifically excluded from synergizing with Okoye.
    Juggernaut was an X-man for a while, but he wasn't on the team when he became possessed by Knull.  So it makes a little sense to include the affiliation.

Sabretooth was ALSO an X-man for a time......who knows why they left if off him.

Mr. Sinister isn't a mutant.  Never was an X-man.  Apocalypse is known at The First Mutant (in chronology, although Namor was the first on in a published comic).

I dunno why 3Daken isn't a Dark Avenger, seems like an oversight for some reason.  Mystique was an X-man for a time so I guess that's another oversight?

3Mags is representing the normal status he has had, as in not-an-X-man.  While 2Mags is from the era when he was on the team and one of the leaders.
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    Kang, Annihilus, Dormammu, Surtur are all cosmic level threats. We also have very little representation from the Olympian Pantheon where Hades is also a outerworldly threat level. Then there is the Supreme Intelligence and the Shiar not least Gladiator. Shuma Gorath, the Celestials, Korvac, etc etc etc
    Oh man, I really want Kang. It is incredible we still dont have him in the game....

But we also dont have Adam Warlock, which is also incredible.... (maybe they were waiting for him to be introduced in the MCU?)
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    jamesh said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    If this is Onslaught, will it lock Prof X out?

Seems unlikely if it has a different primary name: that would require new constraints in the character selection logic that don't currently exist.

As far as comics logic goes, isn't Onslaught an independent entity to Xavier and Magneto these days?

That's a good point re:  the character name.  Reading online, I guess Onslaught was technically a separate psychic entity.  I forgot that he was not using Xavier's body in any way.

There is no "Onslaught these days" unless they've added him to recent X-men books, as I'm not caught up.  Otherwise he's been destroyed for a couple decades.  There was a "Red Onslaught" involved during Axis when the Red Skull grafted part of Xavier's brain to his.

There have been a few follow-up miniseries after the classic Heroes Reborn story line, the last being 2011's Onslaught Unleashed.  In these followups Onslaught was a psychic entity that could possess other people, rather than a dissociative identity of Xavier.

None of those miniseries killed the character off, so we have to assume that is still the status quo.

• JiraiyaSannin
    JiraiyaSannin Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    Upon reading the abilities I'm not hyped for this character. What a shame. 
  • Borstock
    Borstock Posts: 2,517 Chairperson of the Boards
    Absolutely no chance I cover this one, so I hope they don't define any new metas.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,576 Chairperson of the Boards
    wymtime said:
    Doesn't appear to - this character feels like a cascade machine though. I think they'll be very dangerous with Profe$$or X, particularly if that <affiliations> turns out to be X-Men
    The affiliation will more likely be Mutants since they are a villain.  This means with Apocalypse you have 2 84k health characters where one can go invisible and the other cannot be stunned.
    Affiliations are strange, and arbitrary it seems. 4* Juggernaut has Villain, X-Men (perhaps due to his familial relationship to Professor X?) whereas Sabretooth is simply Villains, Mutants. Mr. Sinister is merely Villains, though Apocalypse is Villains, Mutants. Dak3n is Mutants, Villains (in that order for some reason) with 2* Daken being Villains, Dark Avengers, Mutants, and Mystique is Villains, Mutants. Magn3to is Villains, Mutants, but 2* Magneto is Heroes, X-Men, Mutants. 

It often seems to me that these tags are for mechanical synergy over comics consistency- I maintain that Juggernaut has X-Men specifically to synergize with Kitty/Rocket, since he is specifically excluded from synergizing with Okoye.
    Juggernaut was an X-man at one point despite not being a mutant. But I guess Longshot had that too.
  • Thanos
    Thanos Posts: 722 Critical Contributor
    Please consider having his blue remove the special tiles and/or ignore protect tiles when dealing damage.

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Seems underwhelming if it is in fact Onslaught. I’d still love to cover them, as I’m feeling like they may be better than they appear on paper. 

I’ve been expecting Mephisto to pop up. This is not it obviously.
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    I always thought Juggernaut was affiliated with X-Men because the artwork makes it look like it was the Colossus version. To be honest, I wasn’t keeping up with the comics at the time and never checked to see if they could both be on the same team.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Borstock said:
    Absolutely no chance I cover this one, so I hope they don't define any new metas.

New meta could be quick shenaningans with PX for downing chars.
    I should say this char and the next one will be very interesting because they will still share latest with apoc who I think is the main dish and the one for who many hoards will be broken.
    As it proves that token bundle a bit expensive there.
    Also thanks for the healthy gifts again!  Im going to try my luck :)
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,245 Chairperson of the Boards
    krakenoon said:
    I always thought Juggernaut was affiliated with X-Men because the artwork makes it look like it was the Colossus version. To be honest, I wasn’t keeping up with the comics at the time and never checked to see if they could both be on the same team.
    During Fear Itself, when Juggernaut became possessed by Kuurth, the power of Cytrorrak left Juggernaut and Colossus took it on (becoming the new Juggernaut for a time) and fought him.
  • Supermike
    Supermike Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    So, the invisibility set up seems really weak. Either team matches one of the traps and no more invisibility and it only creates one attack tile?  C'mon.  Not even one attack tile for the remaining traps that are disarmed?  Just a lone attack tile that Kitty is going to wipe from the board in 2 turns.  Not a good design IMO.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2020
    We've been needing a new Blue-Purple active ability combo for a long time, glad we finally have it. 
    I only hope it's a combo that can deal reasonable damage. 
    If this blue is weak, and relies heavily upon enemy special tiles on the board, then all we have is his passive damage on match-4+, and the hopes for a strong attack tile.. Could it possibly be 3K or higher?
    The description for Apocalypse's red said something like "4 hits of low damage". Or was it listed as "moderate"?
    So we'll soon see what a Moderate strength Attack tile is.

Strong match damage is good in itself, but it's not enough to win with quickly.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    wymtime said:

Juggernaut was an X-man for a while, but he wasn't on the team when he became possessed by Knull.  So it makes a little sense to include the affiliation.

Sabretooth was ALSO an X-man for a time......who knows why they left if off him.

Mr. Sinister isn't a mutant.  Never was an X-man.  Apocalypse is known at The First Mutant (in chronology, although Namor was the first on in a published comic).

I dunno why 3Daken isn't a Dark Avenger, seems like an oversight for some reason.  Mystique was an X-man for a time so I guess that's another oversight?

3Mags is representing the normal status he has had, as in not-an-X-man.  While 2Mags is from the era when he was on the team and one of the leaders.
    Serious question wasn’t Sinister considered a mutant?  I ask because my knowledge of Mr Sinister comes from the 80’s cartoon show and I thought he was a mutant at that point in time during the savage land episodes.
  • Vins2
    Vins2 Posts: 183 Tile Toppler
    I can see why everyone thinks Onslaught now, with the invis, and match 5 passive.  I was thinking Shadow King, with the invis, and "isolation" concept of destroying teamups like how Shadow King isolated his prey in the astral plane in the cartoon.  
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

Serious question wasn’t Sinister considered a mutant?  I ask because my knowledge of Mr Sinister comes from the 80’s cartoon show and I thought he was a mutant at that point in time during the savage land episodes.
    Sinister was an human  biologist( without principles) studying mutant powers. He searched and waked up apocalypse and he altered him genetically turning him into a inmortal being with telekinesis.
    All other powers he could have after that are from his genetical researchs.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    Sinister was an human  biologist( without principles) studying mutant powers. He searched and waked up apocalypse and he altered him genetically turning him into a inmortal being with telekinesis.

The contemporary version in the comics is definitely a mutant.  He was born a human, and was a human when Apocalypse genetically altered him.  However, continued to clone and experiment on himself.

During the House of X storyline, it is established that at least one of these clones had been modified to have the mutant X gene, and that clone killed the non-mutant Sinister and took over as the primary Sinister.

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,909 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    jamesh said:
    Bad said:

The contemporary version in the comics is definitely a mutant.  He was born a human, and was a human when Apocalypse genetically altered him.  However, continued to clone and experiment on himself.

During the House of X storyline, it is established that at least one of these clones had been modified to have the mutant X gene, and that clone killed the non-mutant Sinister and took over as the primary Sinister.

*If I remember correctly, it's not clear whether the current Sinister is actually the mutant Sinister that made the deal to help Prof X and Magneto or not. See Sinister Secret #10 in Powers of X issue #4.