***** Onslaught (Psionic Entity) *****

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    DAZ0273 said:
    If this is Onslaught, will it lock Prof X out?

Seems unlikely if it has a different primary name: that would require new constraints in the character selection logic that don't currently exist.

As far as comics logic goes, isn't Onslaught an independent entity to Xavier and Magneto these days?

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    If this is Onslaught, will it lock Prof X out?

Seems unlikely if it has a different primary name: that would require new constraints in the character selection logic that don't currently exist.

As far as comics logic goes, isn't Onslaught an independent entity to Xavier and Magneto these days?

That's a good point re:  the character name.  Reading online, I guess Onslaught was technically a separate psychic entity.  I forgot that he was not using Xavier's body in any way.

There is no "Onslaught these days" unless they've added him to recent X-men books, as I'm not caught up.  Otherwise he's been destroyed for a couple decades.  There was a "Red Onslaught" involved during Axis when the Red Skull grafted part of Xavier's brain to his.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    So it looks like it is going to be Match 4 shenanigans with Prof X then...
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    So is this guy that Sinister partner we were looking for? Feels like traps are making a push lately at the 5* tier. Happening on the same active color as Yelena means they may not be the best Pick 3
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards
    So.... his blue doesn’t destroy special tiles, correct? It doesn’t say it does. Just pick a tile, swap colors. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited June 2020
    Doesn't appear to - this character feels like a cascade machine though. I think they'll be very dangerous with Profe$$or X, particularly if that <affiliations> turns out to be X-Men
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    He could make a fun team with 5* Storm for mega-matches chaos. Use his blue, followed by Storm's green or yellow. 

On the brighter side his special store will include Prof X. 

His blue does X damage, capped at 15 enemy special tiles.

Given his niche powers, the damage per tile better be at least 2500.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    So.... his blue doesn’t destroy special tiles, correct? It doesn’t say it does. Just pick a tile, swap colors. 
    Sounds like most of us believe you are correct

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards

Where did you get this info from?
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I’m not so sure he’ll be easy to keep forever inviz; unless you can predict what color the traps land on and choose a hard one to match, matching any of them removes the condition. He is a 3/5/5 for me (unless the attack tile scales wildly). 

Also - I’m glad we seem to have interesting 5*s rolling out lately, but the New Normal release pattern really doesn’t feel good at all when we aren’t seeing hide nor hair of updates feeders to help out. 
  • Michael1957
    Michael1957 Posts: 630 Critical Contributor
    I think Mockingbird and Jean Gr4y are going to have fun against him too. Granted he slows Okoye but Northstar can counter that 
  • MoosePrime
    MoosePrime Posts: 946 Critical Contributor
    edited June 2020
    bluewolf said:

Where did you get this info from?
    8 tiles in row + 7 tiles in column = 15 tiles.  Unless it double counts the selected tile, in which case the cap will be 16 special tiles.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited June 2020
    wymtime said:
    As I look back on Apocalypse I saw him as a Okoye replacement in the meta.  Someone who could enhance others abilities but also deal massive damage.  This character feels like an off meta or anti meta character.

first can we say health creep??  Another 84k health character??

purple power best ability might be invisibility. I am not sure the attack tile will be worth it but avoiding Apocalypse black/red or BRB green and having such high health can be useful.  If the attack tiles are 1 per trap then not bad.  If it is just 1 then not so much especially since Kitty can remove a fortified attack tiles.

(Side rant about trap tiles:  in the 5* tier can trap tiles please fire when destroyed by match 4/5 when a row or column is destroyed.  It will make trap tiles so much better in the game)

green feels like an anti Okoye.  This should lead to great board shake.  It makes me feel like Professor X will pair well.  Imagine the damage done on the first match 4.  Or pair with IHulk and after all the TU are gone it will be hard to remove Green.

blue looks creative???  I think this power is to help against BRB teams with all the protect tiles. I feel like a Hell Cat Purple TU would greatly help this power.  On its own it might be more situational.

Can’t wait for official damage numbers to come out

I'm shocked that a character with the potential for Invisibility also has high health. These usually do not coincide. 

BRB's green can still hit invisible characters IF you have another target-able ally.
    EDIT: Seems that I am WRONG here, but it's got to be a bug on BRB. Other 'random' green abilities hit invisible enemies (Hela,P5rker,Iceman,Gwenpool,T4rch,), but it's fine since Bill's quite OP already! 

If this new character is the last teammate remaining and invisible, BRB can't fire his green. But, he'll just wait until one of your traps gets matched, and then it's bang x4. 
    Bill will be able to fire his blue for the protects while you're invisible solo, but at least you can avoid that OP damage. 

The Attack tile you gain from a trap being matched had better be strong instead of 'moderate'. This will be quite easily countered by enemy Kitty, BRB, anyway.

I wish this character's blue would "Remove enemy special tiles in the chosen row & column, then convert ... colors..".
    That way you could avoid matching BRB's protects which gains them AP. 

But when played at the right time, this character's blue could be excellent. Play this when you are certain to get a match-4 from the color conversion. 
    You will be well served to know the enemy teams weakest color before starting so that you ensure to bring a character that can make good use of gaining that AP.
    There's 15 tiles in a full Row-Column cross, so you can expect to change only 2 or hopefully 3-4 tiles on an average board.
    It will help if you've gotten many TU's removed prior to this.

We also NEED another 5* character that has the ability to remove enemy CD's. 
    Come on, this could have been it!

Otherwise he looks very interesting, but not a speed team component at all. I do value the puzzle style tactics that he seems to bring to the battle. 

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Doesn't appear to - this character feels like a cascade machine though. I think they'll be very dangerous with Profe$$or X, particularly if that <affiliations> turns out to be X-Men
    The affiliation will more likely be Mutants since they are a villain.  This means with Apocalypse you have 2 84k health characters where one can go invisible and the other cannot be stunned.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    RickOShay said:
    wymtime said:
    As I look back on Apocalypse I saw him as a Okoye replacement in the meta.  Someone who could enhance others abilities but also deal massive damage.  This character feels like an off meta or anti meta character.

first can we say health creep??  Another 84k health character??

purple power best ability might be invisibility. I am not sure the attack tile will be worth it but avoiding Apocalypse black/red or BRB green and having such high health can be useful.  If the attack tiles are 1 per trap then not bad.  If it is just 1 then not so much especially since Kitty can remove a fortified attack tiles.

(Side rant about trap tiles:  in the 5* tier can trap tiles please fire when destroyed by match 4/5 when a row or column is destroyed.  It will make trap tiles so much better in the game)

green feels like an anti Okoye.  This should lead to great board shake.  It makes me feel like Professor X will pair well.  Imagine the damage done on the first match 4.  Or pair with IHulk and after all the TU are gone it will be hard to remove Green.

blue looks creative???  I think this power is to help against BRB teams with all the protect tiles. I feel like a Hell Cat Purple TU would greatly help this power.  On its own it might be more situational.

Can’t wait for official damage numbers to come out

I'm shocked that a character with the potential for Invisibility also has high health. These usually do not coincide. 

BRB's green can still hit invisible characters IF you have another target-able ally.
    If this new character is the last teammate remaining and invisible, BRB can't fire his green. But, he'll just wait until one of you matches a trap, and then it's bang x4. 
    Bill will be able to fire his blue for the protects while you're invisible solo, but at least you can avoid that OP damage. 

The Attack tile you gain from a trap being matched had better be strong instead of 'moderate'. This will be quite easily countered by enemy Kitty, BRB, anyway.

I wish this characters blue would "Remove enemy special tiles in the chosen row & column, then convert ... colors..".
    That way you could avoid matching BRB's protects which gains them AP. 

But when played at the right time, this character's blue could be excellent. Let team up tiles gather on the board then play this when you are certain to get a match-4 from the color conversion. 
    You will be well served to know the enemy teams weakest color before starting so that you ensure to bring a character that can make good use of gaining that AP.
    There's 15 tiles in a full Row-Column cross, so you can expect to change only 2 or hopefully 3-4 tiles on an average board.
    It will help if you've gotten many TU's removed prior to this.

We also NEED another 5* character that has the ability to remove enemy CD's. 
    Come on, this could have been it!

Otherwise he looks very interesting, but not a speed team component at all. I do value the puzzle style tactics that he seems to bring to the battle. 

I didn’t realize that about BRB Green there are so few characters who go invisible I never really experienced it.

good assessment on blue.  This is why I thought Hell Cat purple team up would be good.  Move up to 8 special tiles to the bottom row then fire blue on the bottom row.  This would allow for a lot more damage
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited June 2020
    Since so many people are guessing Onslaught and it does look like Onslaught, I'll be surprised if Prof X doesn't appear in his special store. Sometimes it's fun to guess who will appear in 5* special stores. 

It seems like they are encouraging players to play with rainbow team. First Yelena. Then this guy.

We have Onslaught (likely), Apocalypse and Thanos in MPQ now. What other mainstream villians the likes of these three do we have left?

Edit: I just realised he makes a rainbow team with Apocalypse
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Since so many people are guessing Onslaught and it does look like Onslaught, I'll be surprised if Prof X doesn't appear in his special store. Sometimes it's fun to guess who will appear in 5* special stores. 

It seems like they are encouraging players to play with rainbow team. First Yelena. Then this guy.

We have Onslaught (likely), Apocalypse and Thanos in MPQ now. What other mainstream villians the likes of these three do we have left?

Edit: I just realised he makes a rainbow team with Apocalypse
    Red Skull stands out as missing. Sentinel(s). Sebastian Shaw was all over X-Men First Class back in the X-Embargo days.

If you're taking "mainstream" to be inclusive of well known comic lore rather than MCU, I'd tack on Mojo, Omega Red, maybe Deathbird. I'm not an avengers guy, but Kang is someone I've heard of. Spider-Man still has loads; Tombstone, Shocker, Electro, Vulture (classic), Rhino, Hobgoblin, Lizard...I don't know, I feel like they don't have to dig all that deep to find more lol.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,569 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kang, Annihilus, Dormammu, Surtur are all cosmic level threats. We also have very little representation from the Olympian Pantheon where Hades is also a outerworldly threat level. Then there is the Supreme Intelligence and the Shiar not least Gladiator. Shuma Gorath, the Celestials, Korvac, etc etc etc
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    wymtime said:
    The affiliation will more likely be Mutants since they are a villain.  This means with Apocalypse you have 2 84k health characters where one can go invisible and the other cannot be stunned.
    Affiliations are strange, and arbitrary it seems. 4* Juggernaut has Villain, X-Men (perhaps due to his familial relationship to Professor X?) whereas Sabretooth is simply Villains, Mutants. Mr. Sinister is merely Villains, though Apocalypse is Villains, Mutants. Dak3n is Mutants, Villains (in that order for some reason) with 2* Daken being Villains, Dark Avengers, Mutants, and Mystique is Villains, Mutants. Magn3to is Villains, Mutants, but 2* Magneto is Heroes, X-Men, Mutants. 

It often seems to me that these tags are for mechanical synergy over comics consistency- I maintain that Juggernaut has X-Men specifically to synergize with Kitty/Rocket, since he is specifically excluded from synergizing with Okoye.
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    The green passive is nice, when AI is playing you know it will go off if at 4 covers and a match 4 or 5 is available.

Seems against other players however they will often see any match 4 or 5s on the board and make the match instead. Which would negate this ability frequently, especially if they see this character teamed up with Prof5. There will probably be a lot of teams out there using either this character and or Prof5 eating up the matches, that the match 4/5 madness could be few and far in-between. 

Finding a good third team mate to work with this character and Prof5 could make things a lot easier. On the other hand it seems like you might also be sacrificing quite a bit at the same time, to try and set up more favorable conditions to cause match 4/5 carnage more often. 

Not sure how often you'll be able to line up using blue to trigger a match 4 or 5 if the other team is denying you those matches. Will be very interesting to see this character given a test drive.