Ikoria Chase Cards

Nalthazar
Nalthazar Posts: 136 Tile Toppler
Hey all, 

I compiled my list of chase cards and made videos on them. I'll put links at the bottom of this. A number of people have been sending me their chase card lists over Discord and Line, so I thought I would ask here what cards you are all most excited to try to get your hands on and play with. What do you think the strongest card with be? What do you want to pull most? What was your best first day pull? Share here!

My best pull was maybe Quartzwood Crusher. I got 11 mythics and 1 masterpiece, but that Crusher is just nasty. N-A-S-T-Y.

Mythic + Masterpiece video:
https://youtu.be/cbMjQ9V_9n4

Rare + Uncommon + Common video:
https://youtu.be/VcKUqkgPAgA

My chase list:
Masterpieces:
Akim, the Soaring Wind
Zaxara, the Exemplary
Tayam, Luminous Enigma
Surly Badgersaur
Otrimi, the Ever-Playful
Kalamax, the Stormsire
Jirina Kudro
Kelsien, the Plague
Dismantling Wave

I think the best masterpieces will be Akim, Zaxara, and Kalamax. They just seem so crazy powerful to me with the other cards currently in standard.

Mythics:
Yannik, Scavenging Sentinel
Winota, Joiner of Forces
Whirlwind of Thought
Vadrox, Apex of Th... infinite combos
Unpredictable Cyclone
Titans' Nest
Song of Creation
Sea-Dasher Octopus
Ruinous Ultimatum
Rielle, the Everwise
Kogla, the Titan Ape
Kinnan, Bounder Prodigy
Illuna, Apex of Wishes
General Kudro of Drannith
Eerie Ultimatum

For the mythics I think the best cards will be Ruinous Ultimatum and Kogla, the Titan Ape. They both seem to be so much value.

Rares:
Zirda, the Dawnwaker
Zenith Flare
Yorion, Sky Nomad
Vitality Hunter
Reptilian Reflection
Quartzwood Crasher
Mythos of Nethroi
Mythos of Illuna
Lutri, the Spellchaser
Gyruda, Doom of Depths
Colossification
Boneyard Mycodrax

Of the rares I think Quartzwood Crasher is going to be absolutely insane. Give the thing double strike and game over. Zirda will be bonkers with Pyromancer's Goggles. 3 free spells a turn. Lutri will be pretty good too giving you free spells regardless of mana cost and how much you have already put into them.

Uncommons:
Valiant Rescuer (depends on how cycling works out this time round)
Skull Prophet
Momentum Rumber
Migratory Greathorn
Back for More

Back for more just seems like a really fun card to add to graveyard decks to get something back and remove something at the same time. It is like a better version of Cruel Revival because it doesn't have to be a zombie.

Commons:
Wilt
Unbreakable Bond
Ram Through
Blisterspit Gremlin

That Gremlin will be a poor man's Zirda. You can destroy and trigger so many activated gems with the little critter. Seems fun to me!

Comments

• Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    Akim is crazy strong teamed with Elspeth or any token PW generator. March of the Mutitudes will create 36 flying cats capable of double strike. Throw in Chord of Calling to double the chances to get it out first and Elspeth's first ability will create 12 flying cats.  Death by cat birds...????
  • Nalthazar
    Yeah, that is insane! I can't wait to get it.
  • Narcoticsagent
    Narcoticsagent Posts: 203 Tile Toppler
    I dont know if it counts as a chase card but the sharknado is pretty sweet. The first game I played with it turn one I had a good cascade and cast the sharknado and got two 11 shield sharks. Then my opponent playing legacy combo proceeded to go off and kill herself by matching shark tokens. Turn 1.5 kill. Never had it happen before. 
  • Nalthazar
    I dont know if it counts as a chase card but the sharknado is pretty sweet. The first game I played with it turn one I had a good cascade and cast the sharknado and got two 11 shield sharks. Then my opponent playing legacy combo proceeded to go off and kill herself by matching shark tokens. Turn 1.5 kill. Never had it happen before. 
    Wow that is really cool! I will have to try to recreate that myself!
  • Bil
    Bil Posts: 831 Critical Contributor
    I've given Akim a try and he's brutal. He's Also very flexible thanks to the 3-colored thing ... White tokens, black amass, red Gobelins or elementals ... He can synergise with a lot of archetypes, his only weakness being that he requires 2 creature slots (which is kind of a drawback for red tokens for example).

The shark tornado IS interesting, it Can be absurdly powerful with spell loop decks ... But the options to build them are reduced in standard. I think it will be more of a fun, flavorful card, than a solid option for competitive play. 
    I suppose we Can imagine some decent interactions beetween tornado and unpredictable cyclone, but that would be some heavy and risky buildup ... Definitely for flavor.
  • WulFgaR77
    WulFgaR77 Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    Unfortunately Vadrok, Apex of Thunder does not fill stored mana.
  • madwren
    madwren Posts: 2,226 Chairperson of the Boards
    Song of Creation is ridiculously broken.  
  • Nalthazar
    madwren said:
    Yeah, I just tried it out for the first time yesterday and it was crazy good.
  • andrewvanmarle
    andrewvanmarle Posts: 971 Critical Contributor
    madwren said:
    Masterpiece level good? Yes!  It can give a realy big mana advantage

Broken? No! 

You can't loop, with it, and it won't win you a game by itself.

I like the unorthox uses it offers, like using the discard or the draw in certain decks. 
  • Aeroplane
    Aeroplane Posts: 314 Mover and Shaker
    I second Quartzwood crasher as a pretty op rare card. Nissa Windwalker with Primeval Titan ramps the crasher pretty quick . Throw in Golos to ramp mana and you have a fast deck. This set is so much better than Theros with all those mythic devotion supports.
  • BongoTheGrey
    BongoTheGrey Posts: 345 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2020
    Sadly, Kalamax is bugged. It only buffs himself once, not even per turn, once during the whole match no matter how many times you copy a spell.

This is the link of the discussion. I added a video where you can see that its not working properly.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/82393/kalamax-the-stormsire-only-buffs-itself-once 
  • Gunmix25
    Gunmix25 Posts: 1,433 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Daxos fielding Jirina Kudro  ... O.m.g.  :o 

Insanely synergistic for obvious reasons but even Kalemne cannot use Jirina as well as Daxos can. Has been my go to for X token objectives 

Quartz crasher is nutsy and MP level imho. 

Edit* just used divine visitation with Daxos and Jirina ... that was unfair of me. :D
  • Nalthazar
    Gunmix25 said:
    Daxos fielding Jirina Kudro  ... O.m.g.  :o 

Insanely synergistic for obvious reasons but even Kalemne cannot use Jirina as well as Daxos can. Has been my go to for X token objectives 

Quartz crasher is nutsy and MP level imho. 

Edit* just used divine visitation with Daxos and Jirina ... that was unfair of me. :D
    I just got Kelsien and it is bonkers with Daxos too. On my second test match against Ulamog I had it at ~300 power.
  • Nalthazar
    What I like about Kelsien is that you can use it with Winota, which you can't do with Jirina. Then again, as you said... Divine Visitation...