***** Apocalypse (Classic) *****

Comments

• bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Not sure anyone else was looking at his yellow and the protects, but they never get any stronger with more covers.

They're still pretty strong once you champ him (about 159 at 450) but it's unusual for numbers like that to not go up with more covers.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    That explains why. There goes huge damage and +4 blue and green ap gain for 7 black ap.  :D

The same thing happened to his black. The protect tiles didn't get any stronger.

It seems like Thor and Apocalypse could be the new speedster. Has anyone tested whether Thorokoye or Thor/Apocalypse is faster against opponents with average difficulty? 
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Protect tiles not increasing numbers could be due to 2 reasons: for not feeling bad for sacrifing them firing his canon, or maybe because with a 85k health pool it would be indecent to have stronger protect. It could be both.
    Luckily BRB will happen to casually pass by there.
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    That explains why. There goes huge damage and +4 blue and green ap gain for 7 black ap.  :D

The same thing happened to his black. The protect tiles didn't get any stronger.

It seems like Thor and Apocalypse could be the new speedster. Has anyone tested whether Thorokoye or Thor/Apocalypse is faster against opponents with average difficulty? 
    Are you talking PVE clears or PvP hops? For the former I’ll still take Thorkoye with Iceman or IHulk. For the latter I’ll take Thorpocalypse. Since they can deal with the stun bros and BRBitty with no issues at all. Thorkoye can lose to those teams easily and unfortunately that’s all you see past like 700 points. So... Thorpoc for the win!!
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    As far as Mutant partners go to gain stun immunity, I predict Iceman will gain a bit more relevance here.
    Stacking Apocalypse's yellow passive damage onto Ice's repeaters (yet another 7 AP cost ability) will be insane. These hit every other turn, for up to 5x hits of random damage. Plus, if you match or destroy one it does immediate AoE damage.

Separately, if you don't have a playable Iceman, I think Havok will be decent. It's not a better combo than other suggestions throughout this thread, but for the immediate stun immunity, he also offers a fun chain of abilities. 

With just 7 blue, 3 green, 7 yellow, and 4 red you can achieve the following*: 
    Play Apoc's yellow, then Havok's blue for 18K + the 8700 boost. That swaps the 3 green AP for 3 red. Fire Apoc's red for 4x(4100 +8700) to the weakest enemy(ies). 

*If you boost +2 yellow/red AP, +2 blue/purple,  +2 all, you will only need to make 1x yellow, blue, and green match in the game to get this all started. (Try to find a match-4 that gains you that 1 green AP to save time).

It's too bad you'd have to sacrifice 3 red AP to get Havok's blue AoE played for that bonus damage from Apoc. I doubt that would often be better than building up green to swap for that big multi-hit red instead.
  • Daredevil217
    Here are the partners I want to try...

Beta Ray Bill (Korbinite Cyborg)- almost perfect rainbow, insane synergy once Apocalypse is fixed. 

Thor (Gladiator)- 1/2 Thor easily fuels Pocs red/yellow combo. Thors own green does an extra 24K with a repeater out as well!

Professor X (Classic)- Basically the best “mutant” partner in the game with regards to defensive scariness.  

Iceman (Bobby Drake)- Mutant. That green will hit for insane damage with the yellow boost. Blue outlet makes for a near rainbow team.

Jean Grey (Phoenix)- Mutant who can act as a red battery for Apoc and a green outlet for the team if she rebirths.

Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex)- Benefits from people who have multiple AP outlets, which is rare near the top of the 5* tier. Apocalypse is huge for him in this regard. Yelena makes a full rainbow btw!

Daredevil (Matt Murdock)- Curious how Sonar Strike and his weak green work with those repeaters. Near rainbow. 

Loki (God of Mischief)- Similar to Matt above, has purple/green outlets for the near rainbow. 

Spider-Man (Back In Black)- 5 colors covered. Probably my new go to, to make short work of whoever is still playing Gritty. 

Kingpin (Spider-Verse)- Near rainbow and Apoc’s repeaters will create plenty of tiles for Fisk to sacrifice. Seems fun!

Archangel (Classic)- Blue/green mutant. And I mean he was created by Apocalypse. They have to get some run together!

Cable (Nathan Summers)- Similar to above (blue/green/mutant).
  • Tiger_Wong
    Tiger_Wong Posts: 1,013 Chairperson of the Boards

Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex)- Benefits from people who have multiple AP outlets, which is rare near the top of the 5* tier. Apocalypse is huge for him in this regard. Yelena makes a full rainbow btw!

FYI.... Sinister is not classified as “mutant” in the game. 
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards

Sinister was given his powers by Apocolypse.  Hence he is not technically a mutant. 
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,908 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:

Sinister was given his powers by Apocolypse.  Hence he is not technically a mutant. 
    Although apparently the current version of Mr. Sinister is a mutant: 

Then again, you never know which Mr. Sinister you are dealing with. But generally speaking he is considered a mutate, not a mutant.  (Although I really do recommend the current X-men series!)
  • Daredevil217

Yeah I’m interested in him with both mutants and non-mutants alike. Bummer because Sin could really use a boost in viable partners and is a corner case that could have gone either way. 

OJSP said:
    Loaner vs loaner situation is really interesting.. we could lose a match very quickly.

Also, 20k AoE from the loaner. Wow.
    Yeah I hit seeds with 1* teams and am feasting off low level retals. It basically ends up being Apocalypse vs. Apocalypse since one cast of red or black will wipe my 1*s and match damage takes out theirs lol. 20-0 so far though. Not a bad way to waste time on the treadmill this morning. 
  • Kletvar
    Kletvar Posts: 91 Match Maker
    @IceIX

Apocalypse doesn't destroy friendly protect tiles to deal damage with his black power. He removes the tiles and deals damage. You may want to address this to the devs so they can change the description until it's not too late.
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2020
    I think there's some bug with his stun immunity.  The opponent was using non-mutant (Rhulk I think) and a mutant, I downed the mutant and proceeded to stun Apocalypse on the same turn. However, it shows that he's immune to stun. A couple of turns later, I stunned him successfully. I guess his immunity to stun wears off on your next turn, even when his mutant friend was downed.

Anyway, say goodbye to Bishop. Bishop jumped to the front on the first match. Usually, I will put him to the back again. Since Apocalypse is immune to stun, I can't be bothered to cycle him to the back. He gained at least 40 blue aps over the course of the match, tried to stun Apocalypse 4 times, but he failed miserably.

I think I might have found his perfect teammates in 4* land. Apocalypse is a beast. You have to take note of all red/black/yellow aps because they all hurt. 
  • Daredevil217
    I think there's some bug with his stun immunity. 
    I noticed that too. Definitely wonky. 

Anyway, say goodbye to Bishop...

... He gained at least 40 blue aps
    Uhh. Goodbye, Bishop?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards

Anyway, say goodbye to Bishop...

... He gained at least 40 blue aps
    Uhh. Goodbye, Bishop?
    And good riddance! Don’t come back!:)
  • gravel
    gravel Posts: 585 Critical Contributor
    I think there's some bug with his stun immunity.  The opponent was using non-mutant (Rhulk I think) and a mutant, I downed the mutant and proceeded to stun Apocalypse on the same turn. However, it shows that he's immune to stun. A couple of turns later, I stunned him successfully. I guess his immunity to stun wears off on your next turn, even when his mutant friend was downed.

I've noticed something similar with 5* PX.  Since he has damage reduction based on the number of teammates, if you down someone and fire a power at him in the same turn, it does less damage than if you down someone and fire the power the next turn.  My best guess is those criteria are checked at the start of the turn and not re-checked upon KO or power use.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    ^Same thing with 5* Panther and BRB - if you drill him with a bunch of Skuttlebut, he reduces the damage on all of them before he stuns himself since he doesn't interrupt it.
  • HoundofShadow
    Not really bye bye, at least he's not that big of a threat now, for those who champs Apocalyse.

Based on the above experiences, I guess it's not really a bug. It's the way the codes are written. 

How's everyone faring in his PvP? Have you met any interesting teams in your MMR? I see a lot of C&D since they are boosted. I thought they would be a big threat and they ended up helping me instead.

I saw Apocalypse teaming up with 3★ Captain Marvel and another character. I thought that's pretty smart. If enemy Apocalypse use his red power on her, she will gain 15 red aps and 9 black aps for the team.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bye bishop? I would bet for yes. It all depends of how many players going to champ apocalypse. But using a guy who tanks all colors and inmune to stun... well I would say bishop teams based are going to bit the dust a lot more often. Or HE caps.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    Bad said:
    Protect tiles not increasing numbers could be due to 2 reasons: for not feeling bad for sacrifing them firing his canon, or maybe because with a 85k health pool it would be indecent to have stronger protect. It could be both.
    Luckily BRB will happen to casually pass by there.
    Also he spits out 2 protect tiles per repeater tiles.  So by adding repeater tiles he will spit out more protect tiles.  Giving more tiles over buffing tiles is another way to increase their strength 
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2020
    Apocalypse is now destroying protect tiles and BRB is gaining aps from that.