Daredevil217's 5* Character Ranking and Analysis (Updated 2/14/2021)

Comments

• Jacklag
    Jacklag Posts: 316 Mover and Shaker
    abenness said:
    I haven't champed Bill yet, but if he gets out enough shields, does that mean Bishop isn't triggering off match damage while they are out?  Similar to how Bishop sometimes won't trigger if you target Prof X and his damage reduction passive means it doesn't meet the Overclocked trigger threshold.
    It's possible. I don't have Bishop championed, but playing I often have so many defense tiles on the board that all enemy matches, attack tiles and even some specials deal 1 damage.

On the other hand Bishop eats protect tiles, so he may deplete de board faster than BRB fills it. BRB may only come ahead in constant AoE or extra attack teams, like 5*Carnage and 4* Juggernaut.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    You generally have 1 to 2 turns of basic match damage against BRBishop before he absorbs the tiles and you're stunned then hammered to death
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
    Kolence said:
    So....we tentatively putting Apocalypse at the top of the list?
    Why tentative?
    Apocalypse is giving me the same impression I had when seeing Sentry or Gambit 2.0 "nerf". And I'm not entirely sure I understand exactly how his yellow will work... :D 
    This seems to be the impression I’m hearing from many vets on Line (Gambit 2.0). I’ll have to see him in the wild, but yeah he looks scary. 

Full disclosure. I haven’t really played my champed Havok or Sinister in PVP. I’ve been hitting seeds with 1* teams to get a bunch of easy retals that I clean up each morning on the treadmill using 2* teams. It’s a pretty fast way to hit 75 wins (which I need to do now thanks to the moving of the CP). But yeah... I really need to get on that. 
  • Akroma
    Akroma Posts: 77 Match Maker
    Kolence said:
    So....we tentatively putting Apocalypse at the top of the list?
    Why tentative?
    Apocalypse is giving me the same impression I had when seeing Sentry or Gambit 2.0 "nerf". And I'm not entirely sure I understand exactly how his yellow will work... :D 
    This seems to be the impression I’m hearing from many vets on Line (Gambit 2.0). I’ll have to see him in the wild, but yeah he looks scary. 

Full disclosure. I haven’t really played my champed Havok or Sinister in PVP. I’ve been hitting seeds with 1* teams to get a bunch of easy retals that I clean up each morning on the treadmill using 2* teams. It’s a pretty fast way to hit 75 wins (which I need to do now thanks to the moving of the CP). But yeah... I really need to get on that. 
    hello good sir :D
    i am in the same situation its extremely hard to get past 1k or 900 these days :(
    is that strategy good? how can i implement it? to try to get 75 wins overtime at the cost of low standings.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    Nice list. Of my 20 champs...

8 of top 10 with IHulk half a cover away.
    11 of top 15
    13 of top 20

So. It falls of substantially after your top 10 for me. But for the most part I agree with your assessments. I like God Doom better than JJ but it’s very close for me there.

I have a champed Wa5p as well and if Banner is truly worse he shouldn’t even be in the game.
  • TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards
    As a side note for Yelena, it's not a huge bonus, but I enjoy the fact that she punishes the AI for those ridiculous cascades, which often end up dumping a fair amount of AP into a colour without an outlet.
  • Seph1roth5
    Seph1roth5 Posts: 342 Mover and Shaker
    Wow thanks this list is a huge help.  I haven't been playing super long (maybe a year?) and the 5* I have are pretty all over the place lol.  Luckily the one I have most is is BRB at 5/1/1.  I have a pretty decent hoard of LL tokens/ CP, but am waiting for a new 5* to come out so I have apocalypse/onslaught/(someone else) as options.
  • jp1
    You know, I’m not going to make the argument that Pepper is “good”. However, I think she is a little better than this list gives her credit for. Her cheap blasts with Gritty make for pretty quick and reliable nukes. While BRB has since made a better outlet for protects, the ability to switch to extremely strong protect mode is handy as well. 

I would personally have her just above Cap Marvel. I use her more than Cable as well, but I concede he is a stronger standalone toon. I don’t really love his kit, so I’m biased there.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I think for me Rescue just got permanently sidelined for Apocalypse. His multi tap hits harder on the same color and he can self multiply the damage. 
  • jp1
    I think for me Rescue just got permanently sidelined for Apocalypse. His multi tap hits harder on the same color and he can self multiply the damage. 
    That’s a good point. I still think she is better than a couple of benchwarmers she is listed below, but that’s subjective of course.

Apocalypse feels like an easy contender for strongest standalone in the game. His damage output with a little planning is just insane.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    For me Rescue's X was her ability to turn 70% of the board red if you're up against a CArbage or BRB (or both for a brief minute there) on blue, which would actually feed nicely into Apocalypse. I'll probably run that team at some point, probably in Pick 3, just to see it happen. It would be nice if her blue weren't so expensive, then you could actually make better use of it for tile stealing/red generation. If her damage is going to be that low, her powers need to be very cheap to compensate for it I think. Red is appropriately cheap, but without an accelerant, her blue is not helpful.
  • Daredevil217
    jp1 said:
    You know, I’m not going to make the argument that Pepper is “good”. However, I think she is a little better than this list gives her credit for. Her cheap blasts with Gritty make for pretty quick and reliable nukes. While BRB has since made a better outlet for protects, the ability to switch to extremely strong protect mode is handy as well. 

I would personally have her just above Cap Marvel. I use her more than Cable as well, but I concede he is a stronger standalone toon. I don’t really love his kit, so I’m biased there.
    I’ll say two things. 1) I don’t have her champed and haven’t played her, so she may be better than I’m giving her credit for. Obviously I don’t see her in the wild either.  I always think about bumping her up and then I read her powers and it just seem really bad on paper. Hopefully she’s better in practice because she’s my current shardget. 2) Even if I got it wrong, you’re talking about bumping her three spots. I’d expect some kind of fluctuation with these rankings (+/- 5 spots maybe?). 
  • LucasRaven
    LucasRaven Posts: 47 Just Dropped In
    The people want an update! Where do onslaught and Killmonger rank?
  • jp1
    jp1 said:

I’ll say two things. 1) I don’t have her champed and haven’t played her, so she may be better than I’m giving her credit for. Obviously I don’t see her in the wild either.  I always think about bumping her up and then I read her powers and it just seem really bad on paper. Hopefully she’s better in practice because she’s my current shardget. 2) Even if I got it wrong, you’re talking about bumping her three spots. I’d expect some kind of fluctuation with these rankings (+/- 5 spots maybe?). 
    Yeah, it is certainly subjective and will depend heavily on preference. If I had Ghost Rider at any usable level I would have actually suggested she go just above Cable. 

As I said, she is a third wheel, has since been surpassed by others in almost all aspects, and it’s hard to justify her use in competitive play. However, and again this is just my opinion...I’m not taking any issue with your list (it’s a great list), the rest above her don’t leave the bench even when I’m just bored and playing around with teams. At least until I get past Cable.

Without a doubt there will be others who disagree. I would say without Gritty she loses almost all her appeal. 
  • Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    I've tried Rescue blue against BRB and it doesn't work. If (big if) you do get cascades and everything when blue is fired, it pretty much ends up replenishing all the lost protects with new ones from all the separate matches and her power damage. Because BRB will have one or more blue CDs out, by the time Rescue has 9 blue ready to fire.
    I've tried Carol too, in pvp, at first, and she's at least capable of dishing out OK damage on her own, albeit rarely, as several things need to align, like repeater survivng, enemy not punishing matching your strong color, having enough basic tiles for strikes... probably more I have forgotten by now. Whereas Rescue was only doing damage when paired with Okoye. Maybe I tried with some Kitty combo for strikes instead, but if I had, I've forgotten that too... :D 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    edited July 2020
    Kolence said:
    I've tried Rescue blue against BRB and it doesn't work. [...]

It works best against BRB/Carbage, as seen here (this was in a Squirrel Girl pvp, not a pick3) well before Apocalypse was released. Imagine him as the red/yellow outlet with this in the mix:

• Kolence
    Kolence Posts: 969 Critical Contributor
    Well, there was more that I said, yes? :) 

What I see in that example also is:
    - 6 protects destroyed - giving 6 blue and green to BRB team. 
    - 4 red matches right away, plus the crit clearing another row with TUs, 5 matches if not more - giving BRB 6+ protects back. When he had 8 to begin with. Oh, that row also destroys another protect - +1 blue/green. 
    - I also see BRB is low on health but that is besides the point, and wouldn't really help my argument, so I wonder if I should mention that one... (oh shoot! typed it out loud) 

So yes, it can work, just not well enough. On most teams I could find in pvp. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    It's not really an accident that BRB has low health - I used my own BRB's blue several times first.  BRB is the more dangerous opponent, and he isn't helping you the way the enemy Carbage is. That way the enemy Carbage's second turn also does a little work for you to build blue back up as he matches your protects. In this scenario, the red was useless because Rescue's damage output is so low. Were people still fielding BRB/Carbage today, when we could use Apocalypse as the red outlet, it would be saying something. Or even then, using Profe$$or X in the middle to capitalize on all the match-N shenanigans. 
  • Daredevil217
    The people want an update! Where do onslaught and Killmonger rank?
    Well I can give my impressions based on my 1/2/1 Onslaught and 0/0/0 Killmonger lol. I think Yelena, Onslaught,  Killmonger and Havok are all solidly similar tier and might end up right next to one another. It’s just a matter of your playstyle, and what you prefer. 

Killmonger reminds me of Havok. Big damage on that purple/red (same as Havok blue/red) but not much else going for them. Onslaught seems to be a one-trick passive character, similar to Yelena. The utility of their tricks are on on par with one another depending on what you are trying to achieve. 

On a separate note, expect Hulk to vault Apocalypse next update (I don’t think many saw that coming when they were first released.  I thought about putting him over Kitty too. But she ultimately plays well with more people in the meta, so she’ll keep her spot. 

This discussion has been closed.