***** Apocalypse (Classic) *****

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

He doesn't like being called Apocalypse these days:

• Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    The one thing I’m most excited about is this character having THREE active abilities (call me old school, but I like firing powers!). Thor is the only character in the top 12 of my character rankings that has three actives.

I think this is one of the many reasons I struggle with Sinister. He generates a bunch of random AP but most all the top characters only have 1-2 active AP outlets, while Sinister only has 1 himself. After Thor, the top character in my rankings that has three non-blue actives is Hela all the way down at #17. If the affiliation is in fact Villain, and Sinister can make this new person stun-proof, that could actually be a fun combo!
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    I hate the 5/5 release, but if this guy is Apocalypse and he is as good as he seems... I think I will forget it :P

PS: This Hickman xmen run is weird (even though I loved the house of X and power of X miniseries very very much), the called me "..A.." thing is so... stupid? Is he the new Prince? Also, how are we supposed to read that?
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    The one thing I’m most excited about is this character having THREE active abilities (call me old school, but I like firing powers!). Thor is the only character in the top 12 of my character rankings that has three actives.

I think this is one of the many reasons I struggle with Sinister. He generates a bunch of random AP but most all the top characters only have 1-2 active AP outlets, while Sinister only has 1 himself. After Thor, the top character in my rankings that has three non-blue actives is Hela all the way down at #17. If the affiliation is in fact Villain, and Sinister can make this new person stun-proof, that could actually be a fun combo!
    And the active powers are relatively Low cost.  7ap and 9ap. Two out of 3 power will be spared from  Yelena red passive. 

I think the low damage will be really, really low. Like maybe 5k in total? If not, he will be OP. As of now, I see him as a tank with some healing ability and some power that chip at the enemy energy bar 
  • atomzed
    atomzed Posts: 1,753 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    It's getting to be absolutely ridiculous, the match dmg power creep.

This dude does 160% of Phoenix's match dmg.
    That’s what I hate about the creep. It’s almost impossible to get some classic 5* to tank. 

If I can’t get DD or Phoenix to tank, then their healing/revival ability isn’t so great. 
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    bluewolf said:
    It's getting to be absolutely ridiculous, the match dmg power creep.

This dude does 160% of Phoenix's match dmg.
    Not just match damage.  Health too.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    Brick. House. could definitely be Apocalypse, if you consider his house of old would have been a Pyramid. It would be wild if it was just straight up Krakoa lol. Apocalypse sure does like to cull the weak though, so all his damage targeting the losers seems on brand. If the tag turns out to be Mutant, Iceman's cheap microtics of damage could turn out to be pretty interesting. I'd wonder if both hits are treated like seperate tics of damage or if they're pooled for the purposes of strikes and WF! double dipping on it.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    His red seems to function like Rescue's or Valkyrie's red. This is where his repeaters come into play to boost each hit of low damage. I just noticed that his red ignores protect tiles.  It means Bishop will gain 20 blue ap and Kitty's Practiced Offense throws out 12 attack tiles. Good night to BRB protect tiles.
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,909 Chairperson of the Boards

I suppose this adds some strategic value to Havok's skill set since his red ignores protect tiles and his green removes three
    I wish that were the case. Unfortunately he “destroys” them rather than remove them. Which means +3 green and +3 blue AP for Mr. Bill. 
    Poor word choice on my part. Thanks for the clarification. It really is a shame the dev team decided to limit Havok's green. If they had either let it target CDs or remove a higher amount of special tiles, like ten or so, he could have been a contender. 

Curiously, it seems special tile conversion or destruction abilities are valued pretty highly by the development team as they tend to max out at 3-4 in the 5* tier with the exception of God Emperor Doom who you have to sacrifice in order to remove all the tiles. 

I guess special tile production isn't valued as highly? Which I find a bit strange. But I guess that's another topic onto itself. 
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2020
    Yep we've been mentioning those things in previous posts.
    And one thing that is sorely needed in the 5* tier are abilities that Remove enemy special tiles (not Destroy). Including, the opportunity to remove or destroy enemy Countdowns (why is BRB's fortified? It's already too OP). 

ASP tile and CD Removal:
    Kitty's passive is the best of course, but man I'd like to play someone else for a change. Other than that, we only have Nat's expensive purple. That's it.  Alright, Eye of Agamotto removes ASP tiles, but not CD's. It should!
    Love DD's steal, and Hela & Gambit's special tile replace abilities. Rescue & SL do OK.  

Otherwise we have to rely on row/column-destroy powers, like Okoye's red, and Prof's purple->blue. 
    Or, make use of a few other green abilities which are often expensive (i.e. Havok), and many have random row/column destruction. 

Dealing with this new character's protect tiles feels like it's going to be a real pain to face against. Sure they will likely have low values, but the way they can add up on the board seems a bit scary so far. Yep he's going to be fun to run, but seems slowwww, even with the multi-hits potential.

• djperry1973
    djperry1973 Posts: 23 Just Dropped In
    bluewolf said:
    The last affiliation before “Mutants” that was added was “Runaways”, if I recall. For the two in-game..... maybe someday we’ll get a 3rd?  And maybe even a couple more?
    This is why, despite all evidence to the contrary, I’m hoping this is Alex Winter.
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited May 2020
    atomzed said:
    the active powers are relatively Low cost.  7ap and 9ap. Two out of 3 power will be spared from  Yelena red passive. 

I think the low damage will be really, really low. Like maybe 5k in total? If not, he will be OP. As of now, I see him as a tank with some healing ability and some power that chip at the enemy energy bar 

Yelena's passive is going to be better than everyone thinks, even against 7 AP abilities. 

If you don't boost AP prior to the match (you should if you can afford to), you will very likely acquire 6 AP of black and red for this character, after two matches of each. 

Then when facing Yelena, what will happen on your next match of black or red?

That's right, you can't avoid getting to 9+ AP on your next match and then there's Yelena with her passive.

Sure we can hope for some early match-4's that help us luckily land on 7 or 8 AP perfectly. But, she's going to be real trouble. 
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2020
    There are other options like stealing, or replacing enemy SAP tiles using characters like Rescue, Hela, Daredevil, Gambit and Starlord. Only Kitty can replace CD tiles in 5* land. 

I don't think Blackbolt will trigger BRB's ap gains for whole board destruction.
  • HoundofShadow
    What are the cons of buffing old 5* match damage?
  • Polares
    OJSP said:
    What are the cons of buffing old 5* match damage?
    Those people with lvl 550 old 5*s will have a wonderful time.. apart from that, I can't see any other cons. Add: actually I was being a bit unfair.. Buffing old 5*s will likely make OML, Phoenix, SS, and to some extent DD relevant again. Pairing them with newer 5*s and we'll never need to use any health packs.
    You can do that with Thoryoke or BRB/Kitty.

Buffing match damage for OML or DD would not make them relevant, but it would make them usable. 
  • Polares
    OJSP said:
    Polares said:
    You can do that with Thoryoke or BRB/Kitty.

Buffing match damage for OML or DD would not make them relevant, but it would make them usable. 
    I'm sure I can find teams to make them relevant too :) Like now I can't use OML Hood MBW in SHIELD SIM effectively anymore because he's just not strong enough against some of the newer ones (even against some of the 4*s). I think a lot of the older players who have stopped chasing the newer 5*s could also start to compete again. At the moment, it's really sad seeing someone with a combination OML, Phoenix, Thanos, BB, etc struggling to play Lightning Rounds because everyone else wanted to avoid fighting BRB Bishop or whatever the newest shiny are. A more even power distribution/flatter match damage would help with the variety of teams we're seeing.

Anyway, I digress.
    Maybe relevant was not the word, it was meta. 

I agree buffing the match damage and hitpoints would at least make them usable. And sincerely, all chars should be usable. And yeah, maybe then older players would play more... which is obviously good for the game and for the Devs.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    There are other options like stealing, or replacing enemy SAP tiles using characters like Rescue, Hela, Daredevil, Gambit and Starlord. Only Kitty can replace CD tiles in 5* land. 

I don't think Blackbolt will trigger BRB's ap gains for whole board destruction.
    The only way he wouldn't would be due to an order of operations thing interacting where the first part of Bolt's power is destroying the whole map, then BRB triggers his AP gain as an interrupt, then the second part of Bolt's green goes into effect and 0s out your AP pools. I feel like it doesnt' work like that though; I'd expect it to gain AP after the attack.