***** Apocalypse (Classic) *****

Comments

• HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    That makes sense. The only thing that stumps me is the protect tiles. I don't remember seeing him put out protect tiles. I think it's attack tiles and countdown tiles? Regardless of that, I'm excited how this playable Apocalypse will be represented in the game. 
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 406 Mover and Shaker
    I’m also now wondering if it’s someone else since the affiliation only says Villain and not both Villain and Mutant. Does anyone else recall if these write ups have ever held back an affiliation until the final info is released? 
  • Daredevil217
    Daredevil217 Posts: 3,894 Chairperson of the Boards
    RickOShay said:

But what if I want to down that 32K Thor instead of the 30K 3* required character? 
    Make a black, red or yellow match-3 targeting Thor before firing it?

*shrugs*
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    I’m also now wondering if it’s someone else since the affiliation only says Villain and not both Villain and Mutant. Does anyone else recall if these write ups have ever held back an affiliation until the final info is released? 
    It's a good question.  Putting some affiliations down would narrow down the guesses.

I am not sure that "Mutants" existed as an affiliation before recently.  We have had "X-men" but not "Mutants" that I recall.  Unless I forgot something?  I even was looking around and saw that Namor is a Mutant (seems new) and Wolfsbane is no longer an X-men (I thought she was?) and is now a Mutant.  Maybe I'm wrong on some of those.
  • Xception81
    Xception81 Posts: 406 Mover and Shaker
    bluewolf said:

I am not sure that "Mutants" existed as an affiliation before recently.  We have had "X-men" but not "Mutants" that I recall.  Unless I forgot something?  I even was looking around and saw that Namor is a Mutant (seems new) and Wolfsbane is no longer an X-men (I thought she was?) and is now a Mutant.  Maybe I'm wrong on some of those.
    I just looked at Havok’s initial post and it only had Heroes and X-Men, but now in the game he also has Mutants. So the question is whether Mutants was around before Havok was released (in which case they kept it off his post on purpose and might be doing the same thing here to keep from giving us too many clues), or if it’s a new affiliation, which might mean this character isn’t a Mutant since it’s not on this post. Who knows?!?
  • HoundofShadow
    edited May 2020
    I found a topic (Dec 2017) of someone who created a list of characters based on affiliations, and mutant didn't exist back then.

https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/69467/current-complete-list-of-character-affiliations

I looked Magneto, Rogue, Patch and Cyclops and they got the mutant tag too.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,244 Chairperson of the Boards
    The last affiliation before “Mutants” that was added was “Runaways”, if I recall. For the two in-game..... maybe someday we’ll get a 3rd?  And maybe even a couple more?
  • Daredevil217
    Mutants is definitely a new tag. But Apocalypse is a mutant himself, isn’t he? Since this new character doesn’t have the mutant affiliation, then maybe it isn’t Apocalypse (the first mutant) and instead is a human that benefits from being around mutants in some way. 
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    RickOShay said:

But what if I want to down that 32K Thor instead of the 30K 3* required character? 
    Make a black, red or yellow match-3 targeting Thor before firing it?

*shrugs*

You know exactly what happens if you do. They cascade from 7 green AP to 12 somehow due to Thor's god mode, and you take a big AoE hit...

But anyway, I can also attest that Mutant was not an affiliation in the game until an update we received within a week ago. I've looked back to see who has that tag now, but hopefully someone will be venturous enough to compile a list.
  • Omegased
    Omegased Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    Vins2 said:
    They could just make "horseman" tags for those that have served for him before: wolverine, psylocke, archangel etc. It's early to assume the mutant tag even if we're already assuming apocalypse. 

One of my favorite quotes from the cartoon was something like "I am as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you [humans]." 
    This is why i'm HOPING it's not Apoc (altho I've been here long enough to realise that someone "guesses" what's been detained.

I want it to be Sentinel. that makes sense - Sentinel is a brick house, can't be stunned, and targets the weak. Makes more sense to use the "mutants" tag with him, and a "horsemen" tag for Apoc.

anyway.. my two cents.

• thedarkphoenix
    thedarkphoenix Posts: 556 Critical Contributor
    Vins2 said:
    They could just make "horseman" tags for those that have served for him before: wolverine, psylocke, archangel etc. It's early to assume the mutant tag even if we're already assuming apocalypse. 

One of my favorite quotes from the cartoon was something like "I am as far beyond mutants as they are beyond you [humans]." 
    Classic quote!

Another one for me is 

""I am the rocks of the eternal shore, crash against me and be broken!""
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    That makes sense. The only thing that stumps me is the protect tiles. I don't remember seeing him put out protect tiles. I think it's attack tiles and countdown tiles? Regardless of that, I'm excited how this playable Apocalypse will be represented in the game. 

One of boss Apocalypse's horsemen tiles reduced damage taken until you reached a certain threshold.  That could be translated to protect tiles.

Protecting and healing allies doesn't really seem on brand for Apocalypse though...

• Korky1
    Korky1 Posts: 3 Just Dropped In
    The Thing has said 'jeez louise' in a number of comics and brick house seems to fit
  • fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,909 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    RickOShay said:
    The obvious early take on strategy is to get 'his' yellow played as soon as possible. 
    Then, with at least 1 of his repeaters on the board, all ally powers deal a low amount of additional damage.
    At first this may not sound like much, but this amount should be added to each tick of damage from his black destroying 4x protect tiles, correct?  

So then, will it also add this amount to each tick of his multi-hit red? Sounds like it will. 

What will we get from "low amount" of damage? Sounds like 1500 - 2400 to me potentially. That's a decent bonus if it stacks on his 4-hit red and 4-hit black, plus they are relatively inexpensive to fire off.  I'm expecting it to be a damage value, but I suppose it could be a Percentage.

On the black ability, I doubt it would be best to fire it for the weakest ally health boost + 4 protect tiles. Save this to fire off after his yellow ability where you'll be getting lots more protects over the next few turns - to destroy 4 of them for damage.

I'm thinking we need to go 5/5/3 to max his own ability damage. But depending on the bonus damage from yellow, we may be better off running at 3/5/5.  This depends on the damage from Red though, which could be disappointingly low.

Lacking a single target damage nuke leaves me a bit uncertain so far. His red can Only target the enemy with the weakest health, so I don't consider that a targetable nuke.
    I think it's also worth pointing out that this character's match damage is stronger than Immortal Hulk's in all but Green and Purple, reducing the likelihood that Hulk would lose health making matches unless of course he is coming back from a revive which would boost his match damage numbers. So for players who were hoping for a good partner for Immortal Hulk, this character very well may be it. High health, tanks most colors and boosts Hulk's Green passive. Their black's burst health ability might even come in handy if it's able to offset Hulk's occasional self-damage. But we will still need to see the numbers first.

Although considering how many protect tiles this character generates and the colors of their powers, it seems their best partner will be Beta Ray. I am curious if using this character's black ability will generate AP for Beta. As @Glockoma pointed out, I think this team will be a serious nightmare to fight against. 

The only counters that come to mind would be Kitty/Beta or Kitty/Grocket as you are going to have to chase blue and yellow in order to deny this team AP while Kitty's passive removes Beta's initial protect tiles. Hopefully they have someone coming down the pipeline that is a hard counter to all this protect tile generation.

I suppose this adds some strategic value to Havok's skill set since his red ignores protect tiles and his green removes three but on paper it's looking like he will be overwhelmed once this character is able to get their yellow repeaters on the board. Although come to think of it, pairing him with Kitty might actually work out nicely as a counter team. Chase blue, yellow and red in that order and things should be manageable.

Sorry thinking out loud to myself. 

Anywhoo, whoever this character is, it's looking like they will add another strategic dimension to the 5* tier which is always a plus. (^-^)b
  • MadScientist
    MadScientist Posts: 317 Mover and Shaker
    Korky1 said:
    The Thing has said 'jeez louise' in a number of comics and brick house seems to fit
    The Thing is no villain.
  • Daredevil217

I suppose this adds some strategic value to Havok's skill set since his red ignores protect tiles and his green removes three
    I wish that were the case. Unfortunately he “destroys” them rather than remove them. Which means +3 green and +3 blue AP for Mr. Bill. 
  • ZeiramMR
    ZeiramMR Posts: 1,357 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited May 2020
    With the Hood/Nico deal today, what if this were a mystical villain like Dormammu or Mephisto? Not sure how that would fit the clue though unless there is one of them that Simonson wrote. (Or Louise-cifer)
  • HoundofShadow
    I think this character could cause a shift in 5* PvP metas. The top complains currently are:

1) PvP matches are too slow
    2) 5* players are getting stun-locked just for making matches.

This guy is immune to stun. However, the conditions are:

1) his allies must have the ??? affiliation
    2) they must be active

For players who are tired of getting stunned for making matches, they are likely to use him. Let's assume that the ??? is Mutant. If you know which characters are from X-Men, chances are they have the Mutant affiliation. Most 5* X-Men characters are easy to slice through, except for maybe Prof $. This means that instead of facing more BRB/Kitty or BRB/Bishop, you could see more ???/Mutant teams. What if it does not require a Mutant affiliation? Using Occam's razor, the next likely choice is Villain. If this character is really Apocalypse, which seems very likely, based on current circumstancial evidences, then he could really help to solve the above problems.