Character rankings 3/2014 edition: the results!

Comments

• cant wait until the rest is posted
  • I find Daredevil very underestimated. And I blame it on the movie.

But the 535 build can be devastating for the enemies, as they usually match environment and red tiles most often. Sure, it takes time and it's a bit random, but still, those powers are very cheap for what they offer. Once I get top5 in No Holds Barred I'll definitely put some ISO into Matt. I assume he might be one of the mandatory chars in some of the subs in SImulator.
  • Bullseye is buffed in the new Simulator, can no longer say that about him =]
  • After a weekend break, we're back! Latest installment is up.

Also, reports from the field: I did get to play a little Hood/Daredevil/OBW in the No Holds Barred event. It's TERRIBLE. On offense you're slogging the whole time trying to do any kind of decent damage and I took a bunch of beatdowns on defense from hilariously low leveled teams (mostly including modern Storm, who I assume just laughs at trap tiles).

Since he's buffed in the Simulator, and I am a weird mix of optimist and masochist, I might try some Daredevil/MMN to see if the trap + set up a 4-way to entice the AI to trigger the trap is any good (thanks for the idea, WolfmanX25). It's 7 red + 9 purple to set it up, which isn't terrible to one-shot a character, but it also guarantees the opponent 4 blue + 4 random AP + cascades, which is worse than Black Panther's black.
  • How about a 3/5/5 Patch, Daredevil and Hood? Most will focus on the Hood first. Then if you have some ap you can go after Patch but his healing will hurt if you miss time it. Giving Daredevil time to put out some traps? Once I level DD up some more I'll try it out (defense only).
  • Apparently I am really looking forward to more writeups because the F5 key is wearing out from overuse. icon_e_smile.gif
  • Next installment is up. Two more to go!
  • jojeda654
    jojeda654 Posts: 1,162 Chairperson of the Boards
    if he ever gets a third, he will be a fantastic character.

Ya don't say? icon_lol.gif
  • Yeah, tried trap and bait with DD+MNM. Verdict? Not worth it in normal circumstances - first you need to get at least 16 AP, then pray that red lands in good enough place (little to no environment tiles in line or column), then give opponent 4 blue AP +4 random AP + cascades. Slow, painfull, not worth it - for same cost there's plenty of much interesting alternatives even in 2* range.
  • OzarkBoatswain
    OzarkBoatswain Posts: 685 Critical Contributor
    Regarding Bullseye: I put him in the mid-20s because he goes well with OBW, one of the most useful characters. Definitely a character that you outgrow, however.
  • Second to last installment is up, with some potentially controversial OBW color commentary. Last one tomorrow!
  • and by the power of subtraction, the top 4 are spidey, cmags, patch and...panther? well done t'challa I wasn't sure you would rank that high
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Nonce Equitaur 2 Posts: 2,269 Chairperson of the Boards
    Excellent. Michief, would you paste these into the Character and Skills compendium? These are quite useful and it would be good to have them in the top thread.
  • and by the power of subtraction, the top 4 are spidey, cmags, patch and...panther? well done t'challa I wasn't sure you would rank that high

Yes, well, you only have to look at the numbers to see how high hp characters with team-wide supernukes could become pretty popular pretty quickly :/
  • NorthernPolarity
    NorthernPolarity Posts: 3,531 Chairperson of the Boards
    and by the power of subtraction, the top 4 are spidey, cmags, patch and...panther? well done t'challa I wasn't sure you would rank that high

I think this might have been heavily influenced by the pre-nerf black and new character hype. After playing with him buffed in PvE events and experiencing his post nerf black, I don't think he belongs up there with Spidey and the bunch. While his black is still very good, it's his only good move (yellow is a tad too slow, and blue is relatively low impact) . Since black is very mediocre in PvE where your enemies have too much health to be able to 1 shot them, making the drawback very real, he doesn't have the power/versatility to be a top 4 character imo.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Black Panther has 7250 HP, whereas Black Widow has 5075 HP. His Black power does 3162 damage for 12AP, hers does 3336 damage for 15 AP. Black Panther is less squishy, slightly faster, and doesn't have to worry about Daken or Bulleye messing with his powers.
  • Excellent. Michief, would you paste these into the Character and Skills compendium? These are quite useful and it would be good to have them in the top thread.

Sure, where do you want them in the thread? I was thinking maybe it would be good to have a link in the header for each character, something like this:

CHARACTER NAME
    rarity Discussion link Most recent ranking

where the ranking would be a link to the appropriate part of this post. But I don't have the ability to edit that post to insert those links.
  • Nonce Equitaur 2
    Excellent. Michief, would you paste these into the Character and Skills compendium? These are quite useful and it would be good to have them in the top thread.

Sure, where do you want them in the thread? I was thinking maybe it would be good to have a link in the header for each character, something like this:

CHARACTER NAME
    rarity Discussion link Most recent ranking

where the ranking would be a link to the appropriate part of this post. But I don't have the ability to edit that post to insert those links.

Drop them in at the end, and I will add a link to that part of the thread.
  • In that case, why not just have the link point here? In fact, you could have multiple links for characters that were in both editions of the rankings, so that people can read the old writeup, best build, etc.
  • On side note about Punisher:
    IIRC, he was introduced slighty earlier than Rag-nerf and news about Wolv/Thor funbalancing. At that time Wolv was my tank and damage-dealer, as for many 2* players. After news I was looking for appropriate character to take his place and Punisher fitted in his place like no one. Judging by his current rank and my roster that was earned thanks to Frank, I'd say it was good decision.
    As for top 4 - well, we're still waiting for Spidey/CMag nerf, BP's black was nerfed (still nukable) and Patch is powder cog if used without care.