CotT: Northstar Vs wait a minute...why?!?!?

DAZ0273
DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards

Thanos! Yup...no idea why, me neither!

Obviously the Devs were confident in the crushing damage deailing power of ~~everybody's favourite speedster~~ Northstar and his ability to go jogging that they decided "Who would be a worthy opponent to this monstrously powerful 4*? Obviously his opponent will need lots of Enormous pointy sword thing to withstand the terrible punishment coming to them..."

~~I haven't even tried the fight yet, such is my shock and awe...~~

So yeah, Northstar went invisible and that helped for a bit and Thanos shoved a large pointy sword through his face...round one to you Thanos! Ah geez, please don't make me have to put iso into Northstar...

Comments

• MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler

Did it first try with fully covered lvl 209 Northstar and Wasp gauntlets. Just deny black and load up on blue for damage and yellow to go invisible.

• DAZ0273

See that is the problem with your strategy "Level 209 Northstar"...I mean I can champ him if I wanted but...well it is the problem with the wanting bit...

So lvl 115 Northstar will have to roll up his sleeves coz he won't be getting any iso if I can help it...

• DAZ0273

Well...Lvl 137 did it second try, and that marks the end of having to care about Northstar, yay!!!

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards

I champed mine for the saved cover rewards awhile ago, so it wasn't especially hard with a 282 set to 4/5/4 (what he just happened to be set to from cover spread), so much as it took a long time. I avoided all the finger-snaps by just happening to be invisible, but I did eat a sword to the face at one point. Even against an unchamped Th4nos, it still took quite some time to match-damage him to death...

• MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler

@DAZ0273 said:
    See that is the problem with your strategy "Level 209 Northstar"...I mean I can champ him if I wanted but...well it is the problem with the wanting bit...

So lvl 115 Northstar will have to roll up his sleeves coz he won't be getting any iso if I can help it...

I had him previously leveled to 209 to complete a Shield Training. Just level him up a bit more if your having trouble. Won't cost that much more ISO to sacrifice for a legendary token.

• DAZ0273

@MrPlow said:

@DAZ0273 said:

I had him previously leveled to 209 to complete a Shield Training. Just level him up a bit more if your having trouble. Won't cost that much more ISO to sacrifice for a legendary token.

Yeah, in the end I sacrificed a few thousand for the win.

• crakker
    crakker Posts: 35 Just Dropped In

Level 115 and won first try with Lockheed support. Kept firing yellow and nibbled him to death with black (1 cover).

• TPF Alexis
    TPF Alexis Posts: 3,826 Chairperson of the Boards

Like ThaRoadWarrior, I champed him for the rewards, so he's at 280-something. I used his blue wherever I could to pick up yellow to keep him invisible, and barely ended up taking any damage at all. Took a while, since none of his powers do much damage, but since he also doesn't generate APS tiles, he takes away some of Th4nos's tricks.

• FesterTester
    FesterTester Posts: 51 Match Maker

Got the job done on first shot with a level 165 B5/Y4/K4 Northstar and a level 150 3*KimoyoBeads support, board seemed heavy on red and purple which did not affect either side.

Northstar's damage output is pretty sad, so you kind of have to bring something unless you have him at high level.
    Supports that create special tiles are a double-edged sword here. Unfortunately, Taskmaster's Sword doesn't help against Villains.

The Kimoyo Beads were helpful by boosting blue damage and occasionally supplying bonus blue AP, and their boost to critical damage helped because I got three match-5s during the fight. So if you've got them you might consider using them here.

BTW, gotta love that Northstar's black removes blue tiles from the board in this fight, which he needs, while Thanos doesn't need the blue AP the power destroys.

• PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020

This was one of the tougher crashes for me in quite a while.
    First try:
    My level 111 2/2/1 Northstar got crushed to death by Thanos' black.
    Second try:
    Chewie joins the fight! Thanos matched away all of my attack tiles, laughed in Northstar's face, then crushed him with black.
    Third try:
    Okay, I have 325 shards for Northstar, and I don't yet have an iHulk, so why not open a few legends tokens and get up to 400 shards? Well look at that, my third pull was a Northstar Black!
    My 127 2/2/2 Northstar was hopeful, until Thanos' first turn. He started with a match-5 black on his first turn. This did not end well for Northstar.
    Fourth Try:
    Well, I am 15 shards away for another cover, so let's open an Legendary token. 400 shards now, so let's make Northstar... 2/3/2? Since blue is coming in pve rewards tomorrow, why not?
    Level 147 2/3/2 Northstar pulls out the win by a hair - he was down to 232 health (oddly enough) when he got a lucky cascade off of black - a turn before Thanos would have once again crushed Northstar with his own black power.

My reward was... a saved cover for 4Thanos! I always like it when that happens, as it makes me think of the victor (Northstar in this case, finally), taking the loser's dog tags for a souvenir.

• Nero
    Nero Posts: 30 Just Dropped In

First try with a lvl 74 with two covers and lucky win.
    I used 3* wasp gauntlet as support and many boost damage.

• jordanix
    jordanix Posts: 138 Tile Toppler
    First try with 4/3/4 lvl 150. Denying his colours was all that got me through, a long road of match damaging.

• wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    Around 10 tries over the course of few days with 3/1/2 Lv 125 and managed to win with Kimoyo Beads that increased blue damage by 50 and critical tile multiplier by 0.6 and also with +2 Yellow and Red AP, +60% Match Damage, +50% Green and Black Damage. This was one of the toughest fight I have for a while.
  • ObiWanPEZ
    ObiWanPEZ Posts: 28 Just Dropped In
    Let’s keep in mind that this is just Deadpool smashing some of his action figures together. Doesn’t need to make sense who they are. ;)