Ilkoria Speculation Thread

Mburn7
Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
Its officially spoiler season!  Here's the list of mechanics coming out in the next set:

Other than Cycling (which we have extensive experience with), the other mechanics are all either brand new or new twists on old things.

What do you all think?  I'm especially curious about Mutate, since that's a really unique mechanic even in paper mtg (the only thing close to it was in an Un-set, and even that was less crazy)

Comments

• TheHunter
    TheHunter Posts: 274 Mover and Shaker
    Mutate looks like it could be interesting, much better than the similar idea Meld (although that never really took off - "put two really great creatures together to make one only slightly better one"??). I wonder how it will look on the screen when two cards are layered.

The paper mechanic i'd love to see come into MTGPQ is Phasing. I had lots of fun with that back in the day.
  • Mburn7
    Xucachris said:

The paper mechanic i'd love to see come into MTGPQ is Phasing. I had lots of fun with that back in the day.

Oh no.  No no no no no.  Phasing is so complicated this game would melt if the devs even wrote that word down.
    Only one worse than that would be Banding.

(that being said Phasing is a really fun mechanic to abuse lol)
  • bk1234
    bk1234 Posts: 2,924 Chairperson of the Boards
    Ugh. The “c” word. 
  • versemage
    versemage Posts: 123 Tile Toppler
    Yeah, I wonder if they got the idea for mutate from Garfield, it reminds me of the horror card game he developed, Hecatomb.
  • Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    I would say "Mutate" is particularly suitable for MTGPQ due to its only 3 creature spots on the field. If you coud put multiple creatures onto a single creature spot, that would justify having more than 3 in a deck.
  • Mburn7
    jtwood said:
    bken1234 said:
    Ugh. The “c” word. 
    Exactly. Pleeease no cycling. It’s the worst mechanic for this game. Actively makes playing the game less enjoyable. 

We'll need to see how many cycling cards there are (and cycling-relevant, of course) first.  If its a major theme I don't think it'll be possible to cut it out.  If the relevant cards aren't particularly powerful (aka no Drake Haven or New Perspectives or Faith of the Devoted) than it won't be much of an issue.

Unfortunately I have a feeling that both of those are going to be true, so we'll either have another cycling-dominated meta, or a major set theme that is nerfed so hard its unplayable.

At least Mutate looks like it'll be super fun!
  • Heartstone
    Heartstone Posts: 232 Tile Toppler
    Cycling doesn't seem to be so overwhelming this time around.
    As for mutate, it looks like we'll soon be playing "choose your own Brisela" :-)
  • Mburn7

As for mutate, it looks like we'll soon be playing "choose your own Brisela" :-)

Now THATS a game I can get behind :D
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Should be fun to see this in MTGPQ

• jtwood
    And also this one

• jtwood
    Oh man... Cycling in Ikoria gives abilities to other creatures. All sorts of keyword abilities.
    The AI has no chance, right?
  • Mburn7
    jtwood said:
    Oh man... Cycling in Ikoria gives abilities to other creatures. All sorts of keyword abilities.
    The AI has no chance, right?

I dunno, most of the keywords that have counters now aren't really that great in PQ (Trample, Menace, Deathtouch, even flying and first strike most of the time).  I am curious how they handle cycling this time, if 8gon learns from the lessons of Hibernium's biggest failure.
  • jtwood
    edited April 2020
    Aw yeah... URW PW incoming?

• jtwood
    edited April 2020
    Another interesting possible port to MTGPQ

• Mburn7
    Yeah, the Ultimatums are going to be absolutely bonkers, since the massive casting cost and 3 colors are not an issue at all.

And Narset seems pretty sweet (hadn't seen her before, so thanks lol), and those colors are going to be absolutely bananas in PQ.
  • jtwood
    Mburn7 said:
    And Narset seems pretty sweet (hadn't seen her before, so thanks lol), and those colors are going to be absolutely bananas in PQ.
    If they don't make her a Vanguard...
  • Mburn7
    jtwood said:
    Mburn7 said:
    If they don't make her a Vanguard...
    Looks like she's a main set walker, along with the new Vivien and the Red guy.  I would assume that means she gets adapted as a walker in PQ too.  As always, I could be wrong though
  • FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    This set is just bland.  Not a fan.

Glad everyone else is enjoying it though.  Hoping I'll see the light through some of your optimism. 
  • Asylamb
    Asylamb Posts: 160 Tile Toppler
    edited April 2020
    Is it safe to assume that at some point Fblthp will be offering Godzilla series cards?