MPQ Sneak Peek: April 2020 (Updated 4/21/20)

Comments

• MirrorKnight
    MirrorKnight Posts: 72 Match Maker
    Can you start indicating what characters will be in the power-up pack each week? Please and thank you! @IceIX
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    Can you start indicating what characters will be in the power-up pack each week? Please and thank you! @IceIX
    Today the answer appears to be "No one".  I think the pack usually appeared at the same time as Slice 1 opened for the new boost list, and there's nothing there.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    This new Hulkbuster/Fury/16 Elite Tokens deal for 7k seems not as good to me. I guess those 16 tokens will give you 48 favorite shards on your 4*, and maybe half a cover to your 3* worth of shards as well. But I've never had that HP all at once, and I think the 3 & 3 cover deal is way better for how i'm trying to grow my roster.
  • bluewolf
    This new Hulkbuster/Fury/16 Elite Tokens deal for 7k seems not as good to me. I guess those 16 tokens will give you 48 favorite shards on your 4*, and maybe half a cover to your 3* worth of shards as well. But I've never had that HP all at once, and I think the 3 & 3 cover deal is way better for how i'm trying to grow my roster.
    That bundle is the same as the Shield Training bundles they have typically offered when a new 4 releases.  It's never been a "good deal" other than being slightly cheaper than buying two individual HFHs at 3600 a piece.  Skip skip skip skip.
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Why do people with all the progression rewards in Bags to Riches feel the need to shield?  Is placement worth spending HP to raise shields for more Bagman covers and an extra Mighty token or two?

• Ares76
    Ares76 Posts: 227 Tile Toppler
    MrPlow said:
    Why do people with all the progression rewards in Bags to Riches feel the need to shield?  Is placement worth spending HP to raise shields for more Bagman covers and an extra Mighty token or two?

Level 142 Bagman here! Legendary Token on the way. Need more BRB-covers before he leaves Latest. 
  • MrPlow
    MrPlow Posts: 237 Tile Toppler
    Looks like the next PVE events are Unstable ISO 8 and then The Hunt.
  • bluewolf
    I suspect an Invisible Woman PVP is next (after Mr F) but we shall see.  Then the Souped-up Skrull's.
  • bluewolf
    edited April 2020
    OJSP said:
    The first post said a "Fantastic Four versus event", so I'm guessing it's not just Invisible Woman boosted for the event. (I don't know what her event is called. It was before I started playing).
    Yeah, they snuck in an update after my post....lol.

Looks like boosting all the FF.  I wonder if you are required to use one in the central slot or if it's just a godawful pick 3 PVP for the new  Skrully covers.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    So other than SuperSkrull being introduced is there a specific fantastic four celebration going on for marvel?  
  • krakenoon
    krakenoon Posts: 355 Mover and Shaker
    @IceIX
    TYVM for giving us a timely update.
    Making this the norm will likely alleviate a lot of frustration & unrest in the community IMHO.
    Stay safe!
  • bluewolf
    wymtime said:
    So other than SuperSkrull being introduced is there a specific fantastic four celebration going on for marvel?  
    Marvel has a comic event (comics publishing is very much up in the air right now in general, but it seems to be moving forwards) called Empyre which features the (apparently now allied) Kree-Skrull empire invading Earth, and the FF and Avengers fighting them.

So I guess they decided to do a push/tie in since FF is featured and Skrully is an FF character.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    I saw that Diamond Distribution is basically shut down, so comics aren't shipping to most stores. I know Rob Liefeld has been doing original drawings and auctioning them off, then donating the proceeds to stores they choose every week. It's a pretty cool initiative, your thoughts on his art aside.
  • bluewolf
    This game needs something new and exciting. 

Events are stale
    Grind is stale
    Dilution is terrible
    High cost bundles 
    No shield training 
    Shards slow the game down tremendously 
    Current meta is boring and slow
    Shield rank 10 takes forever and I lose interest after day 2 of any event. 
    Daily Deadpool needs a revamp 

Game needs something interesting. I don't want new characters, I want something new to do that is enjoyable. SCL10 is just super boring but I have to play to progress a 5 star even a tiny bit, as pulling them from classic packs is near impossible. 

How about a 5 star only token? aren't there enough to justify that??? 

Right now I have zero motivation to play, which means I have zero motivation to spend money. 

I sympathize completely.  We are now in re-run status on the PVEs, having seen all the normal ones in SCL10.  The novelty of "what will the CN be" is now replaced with "which events am I willing to play up in for which rewards" which is, I suppose, at least a different approach to the game vs "join in 9 and steamroll everything".

I am curious what you think/expect them to do in a different way.  Let's think back at some past (now gone) events.

Fight for Wakanda.... going all in on "neutral" tiles.  Same exact game structure but adding board modifiers that felt unfair to many players.

Support Circuit......same structure (clear 4X, come back for 3X) for scoring.....same ideas.....grind nodes.  Same gameplay.

Alliance Raids (Sinister 600, Places of Power).....besides interesting/generous rewards, same idea of grind 4X then 3X......added a layer of frustration when your locked-in alliance didn't/couldn't perform and you missed rewards.

Gauntlet.....everyone wants this but playing for placement/extra grind is up to players.  And SCL10 provides the "ultimate challenge" that Gauntlet also provided (are you strong enough?), it's up to each player to decide how they want to approach each event.  Play as high as possible?  Play for easier clears?   In SCL 10 (and really, most SCLs) the lion's share of rewards are in progression anyway for the vast majority of players.

I am not sure what people expect the devs to pull out at this point in the game.  I would love to be surprised but we are 6 1/2 years into this.   They did say that ST is being revamped, so that is something to look forward to, but it'll still be mostly the same thing, I'm sure.

The other thing to consider is we are in a state of uncertainty in the world and the devs are all working from home..which obviously doesn't mean they can't keep up with the game but I am not sure they are going to do any major new things with the game either for the time being.  The simple fact is that all of us (or many of us) have been logging in and playing this game every day for years and if you weren't feeling a bit (or a lot) bored with that at some point, it would probably be a bit weird.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited April 2020
    Alternatively, what are their competitors in the match-3 + card collecting + "RPG" categories doing differently? 

Do players want something similar to Candy Crush?

Or would live PvP be attractive enough?

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Hearthstone-style opposed PVP play would be novel, but i think it would come with increased live-ops cost and a lot of additional server side development that just "feels" out of scope at this point in the game's lifecycle. 

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    Live PVP would be terrible.  Every time you take control in a match, your opponent could (and a lot would)  slow down the match to 1 match per minute (or as long as it's allowed) with the hope you get bored and quit or lose concentration and time out.  Nothing would kill PVP faster.

The obvious fix to that is time limited moves. The original Puzzle Quest that this game is based on used live PvP with 10 - 15 second moves (selected at match start) and it was quite successful.

KGB
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards
    Delaying moves, losing connection on purpose, teasing with absourd moves for finally doing other thing...
    I had my good piece of all these things on another pvp live.
    So no, thanks. Id rather prefer fighting dumb AI better than getting angry versus a stupid player.