Inflation exhaustion ... Or is it boredom? Elektra sighs

Yepyep
Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
edited March 2020 in MPQ General Discussion
So, I champed 4* Elektra tonight. Really, just because I had enough saved covers to make it worth a tinykitty.

But I'm exhausted and bored. I have no interest in figuring out her kit but I guess I should. I would welcome advice on the right way to play her. I hate facing her so I know she's tough, but wow... I don't care.

Inflation is very, very quickly killing the game for me. I also champed BRB tonight; that was fun but that energy doesn't even begin to spark my interest in tweaking about 100 sludge characters clogging my roster.

Comments are most welcome. Advice, too. Cheers...

EDIT: I like Jennifer Garner, though. She seems like she is brave and has a very sweet heart. So that's nice.

Comments

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    No advice on using her unfortunately, but I know how you feel. Closing in on the last of my fours and I just champed Devil Dino and Howard the Duck back to back because they had the most saved covers.

I don’t even spec them any longer unless I plan on using them.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,238 Chairperson of the Boards
    Elektra is one of the worst 4s.  You have trouble against her because, probably, she's in a high level node where she gets enough black to put out Shadow Step, dragging out the fight.

Why would you use her on offense where you are chasing speed?

I spec her at 3/5/5 but most people only user her against K-Silly.  I guess you might tweak it to 5/5/3 depending on your other choices.

I haven't used her except in essentials/DDQ Behemoth Burrito in a very long time.

Dilution/inflation is really no better than it was, the shards/extra covers help but they want you to always be behind, so it's not really enough.

When you get bored it's probably time to leave.  The game has shown us all it's cards now, players should decide how much they like it and go from there.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,571 Chairperson of the Boards
    1 v 1 Elektra is possibly one of the most annoying characters you can face as her kit is designed to protect and frustrate without the need for partners. However offensively she brings, well, nothing. Elektra's purple can function along side Sabretooth's black on the attack but you probably wouldn't bring her just for that reason.
  • helix72
    helix72 Posts: 991 Critical Contributor
    edited March 2020
    The best thing about 4* Elektra is she feeds 5*...

Oh wait, she doesn't feed any 5*. Sorry Matt, I guess the breakup was worse than we thought. But you do still get those juicy champ rewards! 1/7th of a 5* cover for each LT!

Okay, the 2nd best thing about 4* Elektra is she counters...

Well, I guess I can stretch and come up with someone she can counter, but I can't think of anyone she can counter that can't be countered better by someone else.

Okay, the 3rd best thing about 4* Elektra is she's really useful...

In the Kaecilius battle at the end of Strange Sights!

Wait until the next Strange Sights, you'll love her in the battle vs Kaecilius. I usually run her + Switch + whatever tank is boosted that also helps (board shake, more enemy specials, etc).

Well, I'm glad I found something, because other than that, I only use her when required. Otherwise she's a bench player. But consider her a trophy!
  • Warbringa
    Warbringa Posts: 1,288 Chairperson of the Boards
    She can be an effective tile stealer with her purple.  If you are a 4* player, her black is a good shielding power that also deals damage.  Once you are 5*, which you are with BRB, you will never use her unless required.  BRB is who you should be excited for, he is awesome. 
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    So I started this thread because I was blue, Coronablue in a big city (several other shades of blue included), and I thought I might find some love with some general grumping about the game.

Instead, I got reaffirmation of the first-class quality of the members of this board. Nothing but non-stop, excellent advice on the very character I asked about.

Thanks, everyone. <3

DAZ0273 said:
    1 v 1 Elektra is possibly one of the most annoying characters you can face. ...
    Word.
    https://forums.d3go.com/discussion/73953/the-battle-of-who-could-care-less/p1

a few of us were at this point a year or so back.

i challenge the notion she is aggressively bad - she is one of a few characters that can create enemy specials, so Okoye/Elektr4/Sabretooth can do it on 2x colors. At 5, her purple steals all kinds of SAP tiles and turns them into buffed strikes. 

The reason she is hard on defense is because she has that black that puts out traps that eat all damge to her and clap back with a decent amount. Aside from Sinister, she’s maybe the only other character making trap spam on 2 colors. I think she and Chavez will play up with him pretty well.

She is a deliberate, strategic character in a game that rewards speed is her real drawback.
    Actually, she's really good. But not for a competitive player, as you say well. Her black is one of the best ACTIVE defensive powers in the game. I h.a.t.e. it.

@helix72, gonna hook her up with Okoye and Victor C. very soon.

@Warbringa, I am excited about Mooseman/BRB. I've been spending every last everything in the game to champ him to drop into my defensive kit.
  • Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 676 Critical Contributor
    Every time I fight opponent that creates special tiles I use her builded as 5/3/5 or 5/5/3 if I have other red ability in team. What would make her better was if she changed 3+ (or all) special tiles at 5 covers. Thats all. Imagine her that way against all those Grokets, 3*Wolverine etc.

Of course this is all situational. Sometimes its not that good. She is not bad. Just not good either.
  • jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards

She can be effective against teams that have trouble dislodging trap tiles.  If you can get her Ballet of Death trap tile placed in a hard to match position, you'll be dealing damage every turn (possibly augmented by strike tiles), and stealing up to 3 AP.  It works quite well against her ninja goons (who were added to the game in her release event: Enemy of the State), who generate the colours she steals.

As her trap tiles do not activate on tile destruction or overwrite, she has lots of counters though.  I think many people underestimate her a bit, and it is kind of fun seeing defensive wins when I use her.

• Mr_F
    Mr_F Posts: 676 Critical Contributor
    Elektra heavile depends on the board. But she is also a good choice against Dr Strange. Use black and then red and thanks to that ya block 2 hits and damage him thanks to black damage.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    I have always had a soft spot for Elektra as she was my first well-covered 4* (and the first released event in which I did really well).

She is now slightly better than her dreadful reputation, but not a top tier 4* by any means.

She excels at 1v1 matchups, and is strong against strike tile makers.  Try her against muscle or mindless ones.  Cast red asap and keep doing so until you have one or two traps in a safe place/ on a safe color.  Save black and purple until you are about to eat a nuke or the enemy press down strikes respectively.

She is also good against karcilius, since she can make more enemy strike tiles and if
    Ignore his damage with her black.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    .Vhailorx said:
    [...]She excels at 1v1 matchups, and is strong against strike tile makers.  [...]
    Just wanted to remind that her purple, with enough covers on it, steals enemy protects and attacks, converting those into buffed strikes as well. I think a lot of people forget about that, it may have been a rebalance at some point. 3* elektra doesnt do that, but 4* does
  • DAZ0273
    The good thing about enemy 4* Elektra though is that she is normally super pumped to give you free strikes tiles if she can, so if you don't have any out then let her collect purple...
  • Ugh
    Ugh Posts: 82 Match Maker
    Consider yourself lucky, I can't even remember the last time I champed a 4*
  • DAZ0273
    Because you can't (iso? lack of covers?) or because you have an all singing and dancing team of 5* who wouldn't wipe their nose on a Karnak?
  • Ugh
    DAZ0273 said:
    Because you can't (iso? lack of covers?) or because you have an all singing and dancing team of 5* who wouldn't wipe their nose on a Karnak?
    Lack of covers.  No 5*'s fully covered and over 5 million in ISO but pretty much nothing to spend it on
  • Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 497 Mover and Shaker
    Ugh said:
    DAZ0273 said:
    Lack of covers.  No 5*'s fully covered and over 5 million in ISO but pretty much nothing to spend it on
    I was there once at 4 million iso. The steps I took to solve my problem were to always get top 50 in pve, always get the 4* cover in pvp (though now I’d make the 10 extra wins to get the cp), roster everyone (well, not all the 1*), and get into an alliance that completes alliance events.

Good luck! Keep at it and you’ll eventually get to enjoy the joy of being iso poor.
  • Ugh
    Yeah, schedules don't work to get that high in pve and pvp just flat out sucks.  Figure I'll stick around for a bit but I'm getting tired of getting absolutely nowhere so I'll probably move on eventually.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    .Vhailorx said:
    [...]She excels at 1v1 matchups, and is strong against strike tile makers.  [...]
    Just wanted to remind that her purple, with enough covers on it, steals enemy protects and attacks, converting those into buffed strikes as well. I think a lot of people forget about that, it may have been a rebalance at some point. 3* elektra doesnt do that, but 4* does

Yup, this was a change in the last balance pass on her.  Her original power could only steal strike tiles, and clearly I have had trouble mentally adjusting to the new facts on the ground.  the change certainly makes her more versatile, but she used to be able to steal 3 or even 4 strikes, and now can steal only ever take 2 at a time.