If you could planeswalk...

Options
FindingHeart8
FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
(1) Which mtg world would you go to?
(2) Why would you go there?
(3) Which mtg world do you think is the safest?
(4) The most dangerous?
(5) The coolest?
(6) The weirdest?
(7) The place you would want to rule?
(8) What is the last place you would want to rule?

(1) I'd personally love to see Kamigawa.  Theros and Eldraine would be runner-ups though.

(2) Kamigawa has some of the neatest lore in my opinion, also some beautiful scenery. 

(3) Ravnica would probably be one of the safer planes.  Even with Bolas's invasion, they were besieging a metropolis, but there was still the rest of the world mostly left untouched (correct me if I'm wrong though because I haven't read the books, just going off of flavortext and what I picked up here and there).

(4) Mirrodin or Amonkhet are definitely the most dangerous in my opinion.  I'd say Mirrodin is worse considering the Praetors are still chilling there, while Bolas and a good chunk of his hordes left to go get their butts kicked in Ravnica.

(5) Theros, Kamigawa, Eldraine.  Season 1 of Innistrad was pretty spectacular.  Season 2 (Shadows Over and onward) felt more like an over-the-top soap opera.  Zombies, Ghouls, and Demons apparently aren't scary enough...so let's give them all tentacles!!  Do you waaant to build an Octopus?

(6) Lorwyn block was weird in a captivating, fun way.  I hope we return there before we revisit Ravnica for the 4th time.

(7) Ruling Theros would be cool if it made you a God, however if you have to give up Godhood to become a planeswalker...then I guess Immortality in Kamigawa would be a fun pursuit.

(8) Zendikar, Amonkhet, Mirrodin unless the Mirrans had won and Mirrodin Pure was the winning block.

What do you think?

Comments

• FindingHeart8
    Options
    also Modern Horizons was an amazing set but I don't think that particularly focused on a specific plane.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    (1) Which mtg world would you go to? Ravnica seems nice
    (2) Why would you go there? I just got an ad in the Blind Eternities inviting me there
    (3) Which mtg world do you think is the safest? Ravnica has to be safe. Why else would I get an invite?
    (4) The most dangerous? DEFINITELY RAVNICA
    (5) The coolest? I WANT TO GO HOME
    (6) The weirdest? THIS PLACE HAS BLUE ZOMBIES!!!
    (7) The place you would want to rule? WHY CAN'T I LEAVE?!?
    (8) What is the last place you would want to rule? BLARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    jtwood said:
    (1) Which mtg world would you go to? Ravnica seems nice
    (2) Why would you go there? I just got an ad in the Blind Eternities inviting me there
    (3) Which mtg world do you think is the safest? Ravnica has to be safe. Why else would I get an invite?
    (4) The most dangerous? DEFINITELY RAVNICA
    (5) The coolest? I WANT TO GO HOME
    (6) The weirdest? THIS PLACE HAS BLUE ZOMBIES!!!
    (7) The place you would want to rule? WHY CAN'T I LEAVE?!?
    (8) What is the last place you would want to rule? BLARRRRRRRRRRRRRGH

well...that got dark fast :D
  • jtwood
    Options
    In all seriousness, Amonkhet has to be one of the most depressing places I have ever seen imagined in the Magic multiverse. I want to know how that plane came to be so horribly cursed.
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    jtwood said:
    In all seriousness, Amonkhet has to be one of the most depressing places I have ever seen imagined in the Magic multiverse. I want to know how that plane came to be so horribly cursed.

Pretty sure the Blind Eternities invited Keira Knightly over and then she fell into the sand after Gideon proposed to her.  Her Aztec amulet must've summoned the zombies to the plane. (old reference)

But seriously I think it would make a cool story to cover *how* it got to that point.  My leading theory is that Amonkhet was actually a thriving Egyptian-esque variant of Ravnica.  Bolas came along and destroyed the entire thing but spared one city to basically farm super-zombies.  The rest of the zombies were the lingering aftermath of his world-slaying.

• Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    (4) The most dangerous?
    (5) The coolest?
    (6) The weirdest?
    1. Dominaria

2. Honestly Dominaria still seems pretty nice and I guess....tame, kind of? At least compared to most of the rest of them. Plus it's got that whole "the place where it all started" vibe and I'd want to see it for myself. And a lot of the scenery is pretty spectacular.

3. The safest? Uhh, does Serra's little pocket-plane count? If not, probably Lorwyn, as long as you don't hang around too long.

4. Most dangerous: Whichever plane the Eldrazi are currently chowing down on. Second-most-dangerous: whichever plane the Phyrexians are currently invading. Third-most-dangerous: Rath (one word: slivers).

5. Coolest? I dig Innistrad a lot. I was always a fan of Ravenloft in D&D so the M:tG version of it is just right up my alley. I even thought the whole invasion by the Eldrazi was cool; nothing really gets across the existential Lovecraftian horror of the Eldrazi better than taking the already-horror-flavored plane and showing how Eldrazi influence just dials it all up to 11.

6. Phyrexia's really weird. Even weirder than Mirrodin or Rath though they're pretty close.

7. Ixalan. Because the only title cooler than "God-Emperor" is "Pirate King".

8. The last place I'd want to rule is Ravnica. Huge but incredibly polarized and factional population, plus a ton of overcrowding and a massive amount of bureaucracy, and that's without even bringing the whole War of the Spark into it. Hard Pass.

• Mburn7
    Mburn7 Posts: 3,427 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2020
    Options
    jtwood said:

But seriously I think it would make a cool story to cover *how* it got to that point.  My leading theory is that Amonkhet was actually a thriving Egyptian-esque variant of Ravnica.  Bolas came along and destroyed the entire thing but spared one city to basically farm super-zombies.  The rest of the zombies were the lingering aftermath of his world-slaying.

That's, uh, exactly what happened lol.  Literally a perfect summary.

Bolas went there right before the Mending when he realized his powers would go away and just brutalized the entire plane.  Beat up the 8 gods, killed everyone over the age of 7 or something, and then reshaped it in his image.

Full story here:  https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/hour-revelation-2017-06-07

• jtwood
    Options
    Whoa. I don't think I've ever ready about Phyrexia before. That's crazy stuff.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    As for my answer, I would absolutely love to be able to go to Zendikar.
    The adventure world seems so much fun, even if it is much less awesome since the whole Eldrazi thing.

I would think Kaladesh is the safest plane, since its the only one I can think of that hasn't been attacked by an unfathomably powerful interdimensional threat and/or massive war (and its the most technological plane, too).

The most dangerous, but also the coolest has gotta be Innistrad.  There are just SO MANY nightmare monsters there that can and will take you out, but I freaking love the idea of Werewolves and Vampires and Ghosts and Demons and Horrors and Angels and Zombies and Scarecrows duking it out over territory while the humans just try  to not die.

And, if you gotta rule a plane you might as well pick the OG.  I'll take Lord of Dominaria for 500, Alex.
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options
    (1) Which mtg world would you go to? Ravnica

(2) Why would you go there? I think the architecture would be mind blowing. Plus the idea of a planet-wide city is pretty cool.

(3) Which mtg world do you think is the safest? Joke Answer: Fallen Empires. Man there were a lot of weak, do-nothing creatures in that set. Real Answer: Kaladesh? 

(4) The most dangerous?  Phyrexia because everything is made out of sharp metal and trying to kill you. Followed by Eldrazi Zendikar. Followed by Innistrad.

(5) The coolest? Hard to pick my absolute favorite, a lot of sets have had really interesting things in them. I think I’d stick with Ravnica just based on the sheer size and variety of stuff.

(6) The weirdest? Eldraine: *Shopkeeper* "Welcome to my antiques store” *Me* This looks like a grocery store… *Shopkeeper* “Yep!"

(7) The place you would want to rule? Ixalan. Not my favorite set but DINOSAURS

(8) What is the last place you would want to rule? Fiora, the plane of the Conspiracy sets. I suck at political science. Rad set though :)
  • FindingHeart8
    Options
    mrixl2520 said:
    (1) Which mtg world would you go to? Ravnica

(2) Why would you go there? I think the architecture would be mind blowing. Plus the idea of a planet-wide city is pretty cool.

(3) Which mtg world do you think is the safest? Joke Answer: Fallen Empires. Man there were a lot of weak, do-nothing creatures in that set. Real Answer: Kaladesh? 

(4) The most dangerous?  Phyrexia because everything is made out of sharp metal and trying to kill you. Followed by Eldrazi Zendikar. Followed by Innistrad.

(5) The coolest? Hard to pick my absolute favorite, a lot of sets have had really interesting things in them. I think I’d stick with Ravnica just based on the sheer size and variety of stuff.

(6) The weirdest? Eldraine: *Shopkeeper* "Welcome to my antiques store” *Me* This looks like a grocery store… *Shopkeeper* “Yep!"

(7) The place you would want to rule? Ixalan. Not my favorite set but DINOSAURS

(8) What is the last place you would want to rule? Fiora, the plane of the Conspiracy sets. I suck at political science. Rad set though :)

I love that you suck at political science but favorite chosen worlds are all politic-heavy planes.  You're not by chance a Gruul player are you? ;)
  • mrixl2520
    mrixl2520 Posts: 240 Tile Toppler
    Options

I love that you suck at political science but favorite chosen worlds are all politic-heavy planes.  You're not by chance a Gruul player are you? ;)
    GRUUL SMASH!
  • jtwood
    Options
    Mburn7 said:
    jtwood said:

That's, uh, exactly what happened lol.  Literally a perfect summary.

Bolas went there right before the Mending when he realized his powers would go away and just brutalized the entire plane.  Beat up the 8 gods, killed everyone over the age of 7 or something, and then reshaped it in his image.

Full story here:  https://magic.wizards.com/en/articles/archive/magic-story/hour-revelation-2017-06-07

Yes, but when Bolas arrives on Amonkhet before the Mending, the plane is already cursed. The Curse of Wandering predates Bolas. He simply found the plane and exploited its curse to his benefit.
    Nissa mentions here that the plane endures an "ancient, powerful curse" but doesn't appear to know the source. In another story, the plane "speaks" to Nissa and calls the curse a "gift". Outside of those references, very, very little is known about how the plane came to be cursed or what life was like there before Bolas arrived.
    Those are the stories that can still be told.
  • wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited March 2020
    Options
    Kaladesh. It had it's civil uprising, but all in all this world is beautiful, relatively peaceful, and seems like it would have the most modern accommodations of any world (electricity, running water, etc)
    See above. It's probably the most beautiful world to my aesthetic that Wizards has created to date as well as would probably be the most comfortable living with Ravnica being a close second.
    I would want to say again Kaladesh. Ravnica also seems pretty safe, but the guilds are pretty much always at war or cold war with each other, so it doesn't seem quite as safe. And honorable mention to Fiora. It seems relatively safe for the average citizen, but rise to any level of power or prosperity, and then the schemes and intrigue means your life is always at risk.
    (4) The most dangerous?
    It's a hard call here. Innistrad is pretty dangerous for your average citizen now that the Avacynian wards are no longer functional, not to mention the aftermath of Emrakul, especially on what was formerly the largest and safest city on the plane, Thraben. But, I do think that Amonkhet is probably more dangerous now that Naktamun is destroyed and the only survivors are having to scrape by on the wastes. Honorable mention to New Phyrexia, though that world isn't particularly dangerous to most of the creatures now living there.
    (5) The coolest?
    Dominaria in the ice age. badum tsss. More serious answer, Kylem. No real reason, just seems cool.
    (6) The weirdest?
    Ixalan. Vampire conquistadors and pirates riding dinosaurs. Need I say more?
    Tarkir, if only to try to put an end to the alien invasion rule of the dragons. Though if I rule the world I'd have to live there.... so maybe I should go back to one I'd rather live in.... and being a god ruling Theros sounds pretty sweet.
    Ulgrotha. I don't play black, seems a bad place for a player like me. Not to mention, there's like 92,000 vampires I'd have to take out to try to clear out the claims to the throne.
  • Mburn7
    Options
    wereotter said:
    (5) The coolest?
    Dominaria in the ice age. badum tsss. More serious answer, Kylem. No real reason, just seems cool.
    (6) The weirdest?
    Ixalan. Vampire conquistadors and pirates riding dinosaurs. Need I say more?

Love this lol.  For the pun and for the Battlebond reference.

And I don't know what's weird about vampire pirates riding dinosaurs into battle against waterbending merfolk.  Does that not happen where you live?
  • FindingHeart8
    edited March 2020
    Options
    wereotter said:
    (5) The coolest?

As a huge fan of snow lands, I was overcome by joy upon reading this...it took me a few moments to realize it was a joke.  :D  :neutral:

:neutral::neutral::neutral:

• wereotter
    wereotter Posts: 2,064 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    wereotter said:
    (5) The coolest?

As a huge fan of snow lands, I was overcome by joy upon reading this...it took me a few moments to realize it was a joke.  :D  :neutral:

:neutral::neutral::neutral:

you're welcome.