Options
Magic:PQ Support Team
Magic:PQ Support Team ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 3,277 Chairperson of the Boards

manabluepngmanagreenpng ROWAN AND WILL KENRITH managreenpngmanabluepng
(At Level 60)
+2 manawhitepng | manabluepng | manablackpng | +6 manaredpng | managreenpng 
122 HP
Creatures: 7 | Supports: 5 | Spells: 7

"The young warrior-mage twins share a single planeswalker's spark. Rowan, bold and impetuous, augments her swordplay with crackling electrical energy that dances along her blade, while Will, reserved and contemplative, uses his power over ice to control the flow of a fight. They often coordinate their magic to make it more effective."

Abilities

Rowan Kenrith

Infuriate - Cost 6

Level 1: Target creature gains Berserker. Tag with Will.

Level 2: Target creature gains Berserker. If you control that creature, it gets +2/+0 until end of turn. Tag with Will.

Level 3: Target creature gains Berserker. If you control that creature, it gets +3/+0 until end of turn. Tag with Will.

Level 4: Target creature gains Berserker. If you control that creature, it gets +4/+0 until end of turn. Tag with Will.

Last Hit - Cost 12

Level 1: Create a Last Hit token. Tag with Will.

Level 2: Create a Last Hit token. Draw a card. Tag with Will.

Level 3: Create a Last Hit token. Draw 2 cards. Tag with Will.

Level 4: Create a Greater Last Hit token. Draw 2 cards. Tag with Will.

Shatterstorm - Cost 15

Level 1: Destroy and Trigger 3 of your Blue or Red Activated gems. Tag with Will.

Level 2: Destroy and Trigger 4 of your Blue or Red Activated gems. Tag with Will. 

Level 3: Destroy and Trigger 5 of your Blue or Red Activated gems. Tag with Will.

Level 4: Destroy and Trigger each of your Blue and Red Activated gems. Tag with Will.

Will Kenrith

Deep Freeze - Cost 6

Level 1: Target opposing creature gets -2/-0 for 3 turns. Tag with Rowan.

Level 2: Target opposing creature gets -3/-0 for 3 turns. Tag with Rowan.

Level 3: Target opposing creature gets -4/-0 for 3 turns. Tag with Rowan.

Level 4: Target opposing creature gets -4/-0 for 3 turns. That creature loses all of its evergreen abilities for 3 turns. Tag with Rowan.

Game Plan - Cost 12

Level 1: Create a Game Plan token. Tag with Rowan.

Level 2: Create a Greater Game Plan token. Tag with Rowan.

Level 3: Create a Greater Game Plan token. The first non-support card in your hand gains Flash. Tag with Rowan.

Level 4: Create a Greater Game Plan token. The first 2 non-support cards in your hand gain Flash. Tag with Rowan.

Strategic Planning - Cost 15

Level 1: Activate 3 Blue or Red: The first non-support card in your hand without mana gains half of its mana. Tag with Rowan.

Level 2: Activate 4 Blue or Red: The first non-support card in your hand without mana gains half of its mana. Tag with Rowan.

Level 3: Activate 5 Blue or Red: The first non-support card in your hand without mana gains half of its mana. Tag with Rowan.

Level 4: Activate Each Blue and Red: The first non-support card in your hand without mana gains half of its mana. Tag with Rowan.

Tokens

Tag

Swap places with another Planeswalker, changing your mana bonuses and Loyalty abilities.

Last Hit

(Red) Support Card (2) Token

"When you exile a non-support card from you hand, if it has 8 or more mana: Deal 3 damage to each opposing creature with Berserker or that has power 3 or less."

Greater Last Hit

(Red) Support Card (2) Token

"When you exile a non-support card from you hand, if it has 8 or more mana: Deal 4 damage to each opposing creature with Berserker or that has power 3 or less."

Game Plan 

(Blue) Support Card (2) Token

"At the beginning of your opponent's turn: Draw 2 cards. Then, destroy this support."

Greater Game Plan 

(Blue) Support Card (3) Token

"At the beginning of your opponent's turn: Draw 2 cards, then each card with Flash in your hand gains 4 mana. Then, destroy this support."

Comments

• FindingHeart8
    FindingHeart8 Posts: 2,730 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    I must be missing something, why do they have green/blue mana abilities with their names?  Their mana bonuses are strange (+2 to white instead of blue??) and their abilities seem confusing and underwhelming. 
  • Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    edited March 2020
    Options
    I must be missing something, why do they have green/blue mana abilities with their names?  Their mana bonuses are strange (+2 to white instead of blue??) and their abilities seem confusing and underwhelming. 
    The way the mana bonuses are shown here is a little bit confusing. Rowan has +6 red and +2 white (0 in everything else). Will has +6 blue and +2 white (0 in everything else).  Which mana bonuses you have depends on which side is currently "up".

I will admit that the 2nd ability, for both of them, I basically just treat as being "draw 2". I've literally never used the Last Hit token and the Flash-related stuff hasn't really been important either. But other than that, their abilities are pretty simple:
    • Rowan's 1st gives berserker (permanently) and +4/+0 until end of turn if the target creature is one of yours.
    • Rowan's 2nd, like I said, might as well just say "draw 2".
    • Rowan's ult pops all your blue/red activated gems
    • Will's 1st gives a creature -4/0 and strips all its evergreens for 3 turns (or until your berserker kills it....)
    • Will's 2nd is basically, gain a little mana, draw 2 cards during your opponent's next turn.
    • Will's 3rd is exactly what it says, I gotta admit, I did not really appreciate the significance of the phrase "Activate each blue and red gem" until I tried it out, but that is what it does. Each pop gives your empty spells/creatures some mana.
    In addition to that, all of their planeswalker abilities cause them to "flip" to the other one - if you use a Rowan ability, Will comes up, and vice versa. You can use one Rowan ability and one Will ability in the same turn if you have enough loyalty.

Their first abilities are cheap and make them very good at battlefield control if you have a creature or two out. Obviously Rowan's ability encourages you to drop a good-sized first striker but Will's ability has particularly impressed me; stripping evergreens like prevent damage, first strike, double strike, etc. pretty much ensures that your guys never lose creature combats. The card draw on their second ability is fine, though like I said there's a lot of needless and usually irrelevant extras added in there. The ultimates, I admit, are rather underwhelming (especially Rowan's, though I haven't looked into building a deck around it) but I'd usually rather save the loyalty to spam their 1st and 2nd and flip back and forth.

They're a lot more fiddly than most planeswalkers, and definitely don't lend themselves to "make a loop deck, set it in motion, go make a sandwich, come back and pick up your rewards" kind of gameplay. And I do have some minor gripes about them: I wish gem converters that convert to "your PWs color" (like Vanguard Domri) would treat Rowan as mono-red and Will as mono-blue (since that's what their mana bonuses are actually like) instead of treating them both as blue/red. And I wish their abilities weren't quite so anti-support; in particular, giving such an anti-support-usage planeswalker an ability that pops all activated gems is an irritating bit of anti-synergy, since most of the best activated gems come from supports.

But they're definitely interesting and the tactical decisions around timing my uses of their 1st abilities has provided some of the most interesting creature combat decisions this game has ever offered. YMMV but they've been fun enough to mess around with for me that I don't at all regret spending the runes on them. I slightly regret spending runes on the Royal Scions just because this "grown up" version of them came along so soon after and is so much more interesting to use.