Addressing the Meta in the Room

jackstar0
jackstar0 Posts: 1,280 Chairperson of the Boards

What's the counter to Beta Ray Bishop? Does such a thing exist at this point?

Comments

• jackstar0

Ugh. The dearth of responses doesn't bode well.

• DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards

If you can get him airbourne Vulture might help as he is immune from attack and can remove specials with his blue power. I guess it would depend on how high a level BRB is though.

• jackstar0
    edited February 2020

My issue is typically a Bishop that can't be quickly dispatched with ProfX or the equivalent. Like BRB can be managed with a little work, but the combo with a max or near-max Bishop is very tedious.

My skips are almost entirely BRB+Bishop at this stage.

• Pongie
    Pongie Posts: 1,410 Chairperson of the Boards

Hawkeye, worthycap and Peggy is working out well for me. BRB protect tiles usually means bishop doesn’t get a chance to jump in front with match damage and I can easily chase blue. Once worthycap jumps in front, I usually have enough to stun BRB and the third with peggy’s blue. Her red can usually take out bishop and the team is done.

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards

What you want seems to me to be a stun or an airborne-send, and barring that somebody who removes specials rather than destroys them. Vulture/G4mora (or Bishop/G4mora) into deadliest woman can be reliable as long as Vulture can make it into the air, as previously mentioned.

Alternatively, tile theft rather than destruction is probably ideal, like DD5's purple, or maybe Prowler? I don't know if his thing counts first as a match against BRB, I'll have to test it.

I'm not promoting any of these as especially viable strategies, but if you want to play around here are some characters who remove (rather than destroy) specials:

4* Thanos (passively eats some SAP tiles and turns them into greens on the board, your mileage may vary here, given that BRB has a buck wild green power, and feeding him is not desirable). I actually feel like Th4nos is pretty under-rated against special spam, but he is probably better against a Carbage than a BRB unless you have a stunner

4* Invisible Woman - locking those tiles and then removing them to do damage can be pretty effective, if you can get the blue for it

4* Dazzler - bring your own SAP generator and get her to tank, and she'll stun whoever hits her and remove some function of ANY type of special tiles on the board at the same time. Really suffers from being hard to tank over better characters, but this moveset is a perfect counter to Overclocked and other special generators on paper

4* Shuri - if you've got the red, at 5 covers that power will remove a fortified special. this can really save your bacon against powers like Photonic Barrage, or i suppose BRB's blue CD

4* Howard (a duck) - his blue will both stun AND convert 4 enemy specials to basic. Laughable, but can actually work with a sufficient blue battery (costs 10ap)

4* - Spider-Woman purple can remove 6 enemy specials for 8 purple

4* Cage - if an enemy fires a power and he's out front, he'll remove a tile and weaken another. Maybe not fast enough to matter

Spider-Family characters tend to be able to lock down enemy specials with webs, that can sometimes help in these situations where rampant AP gathering or special creation is an issue.

that's all theorycrafting, so i guess take what you want to try from that.

• jackstar0

In a pick-two environment, I typically try Okoye+PX and try to stay under threshold, but Bishop eating those tiles for blue really quickly makes it a pickle of the situation if I don't get lucky with like a match-4 or -5 with TUs.

I'm wondering if PX+Iceman might have a better chance with the counter-stunning opportunities, but PX not having a means of dealing with endless shield tiles. Let's just say if speed is key in PvP, this BRB-Bishop team is overpowered because it SLOWS things down a lot...

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    jackstar0 said:

[...]Let's just say if speed is key in PvP, this BRB-Bishop team is overpowered because it SLOWS things down a lot...

I 100% believe that is "the point" of BRB - slowing down matches. I don't think BRB is broken, he's just good. We'll find a counter here soon enough.