5* Prof X strategy; is he a candidate for softcapping?

Vhailorx
Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

My X left the LT pool at 5/2/4. But, thanks to my 4* Prof X hitting 300, and the favorite 5* shards offer from a few weeks ago, I have 975 shards for Prof X too. So I can fully cover him after opening ~ 9 more LTs (or if he shows up in my shards store before then). But what is my best play with him?

Does he have value when underleveled? I don't actually have to level him up right away, and the risk of a stray cover that I would need to champ him to use is quite low. (Mostly I would use him with thorkoye, or some other boardshake team, so being underleveled is not necessarily bad in that scenario).

Assuming I did leave him underleveled, i could do 5/3/5 or 5/4/4. Is one of those builds superior?

Comments

• wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards

It will depend on what level you have your Thor Okoye at. He will probably tank Blue and Purple in that combo and his match 4 ability is what you are looking for.

what you miss out on is his ability to tank with X-men. Pairing him with 2 X-men really lets him shine as a tank. In cyclops PVP I used him with AA, Ice, and Cable. I let him tank most colors and since he reduces so much damage I used maybe one health pack.

i would recommend 5,3,5 and to champ him. This gives you the most flexibility and does not limit your options

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards

He's my highest leveled character at this point, and I use him constantly. I tend to gravitate towards board chaos teams anyway, so I run mine at 5/5/3 and generally keep him paired with Okoye in pick 2. His Purple-> red is comparable to Doom's single target damage, and Purple-> green is comparable to Thor's green AoE. Early in a match I'll go for the purple board scramble to generate AP/cascades, and if I need to add TU to the board or get some health on somebody I'll target yellow with it. He really is great on any team.

• randomhero1090
    randomhero1090 Posts: 396 Mover and Shaker

PX is a monster and you should push him as high as possible. I've just kept pulling and have him up to 472. I run him with all sorts of combos. He plays well on both O and D. I've been leveled by cascades when fighting him.

I also have the quantum support level 4. So in PVE I start many matches with 5 purple. I've gone as far as to run him with Coulson and Switch just to get purple as fast as possible and AOE goons.

The BRB/PX/Carnage LT set was one of the best in some time. BRB/Sinister/Havoc may prove to be quite good too. But all are blue power players and people just popped their hoards, so might not see as many in the wild.

• Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards

Yay! X was in my store today. So i now have 1001 shards for him and am ready to cover him. Seems like the consensus advice is to champ him and take advantage of his full strength rather than softcapping and using him solely with thorkoye.

• ammenell
    ammenell Posts: 817 Critical Contributor
    current favorite team is 330 5/3/2 px with 370 5/4/4 okoye and champed 2099.
    nukes on every match4, kinda double dipping on yellow, blue and black