Upcoming iOS 8 and 9 Incompatibility (2/20/20)

LakeStone
LakeStone Posts: 1,377 Community Moderator
edited April 2020 in MPQ General Discussion

Hi Everyone -

We wanted to provide advance notice that sometime shortly after March 15, 2020, Marvel Puzzle Quest will no longer be compatible with Apple devices using iOS 9 or earlier. The minimum spec the game will support will be iOS 10 at that time.

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause.

Thank you!

*A friendly reminder: You'll want to make sure your game is backed up to Facebook before you attempt to transfer your save to a new device (While in-game, tap the gear icon and then tap the Facebook icon). Please reach out to customer support if you need help with transferring your save to a new device.

Tagged:

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards

"wait! come back! Don't leave us here!"

• Godzillafan67
    Godzillafan67 Posts: 497 Mover and Shaker

Caesar: Who is it in the press that calls on me? I hear a tongue shriller than all the music. Cry "Caesar!" Speak, Caesar is turn'd to hear.

IceIX: Beware the ides of March.

Caesar: What man is that?

Brutus: IceIX bids you beware the ides of March.

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards

Am I the only one that sees the irony in this post?

Devs are silent for weeks and when one pops up and makes a post, it’s to notify a subset of players that they will no longer be able to play anymore.

This implies that there will be some sort of update to the game that will require higher iOS resources.

No updates on that though. Or R194, R195, or R196.

Its almost like “we are supposed to lose.”

• fight4thedream
    fight4thedream GLOBAL_MODERATORS Posts: 1,910 Chairperson of the Boards

Mod note: Please keep this thread on topic. Thank you.

• KenshinUK
    KenshinUK Posts: 91 Match Maker

No problem, just update your iOS version... oh wait...

• PuceMoose
    PuceMoose Posts: 1,445 Chairperson of the Boards

I'm glad to see my old iPad mini 2 will still be rocking and rolling with MPQ for a while yet.

I ran across this helpful list that shows maximum supported iOS by device:

https://everyi.com/by-capability/maximum-supported-ios-version-for-ipod-iphone-ipad.html

• jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020

So.... Iphone 4 and below need to upgrade?

Seems reasonable to me.

In other news the Galaxy S II will be phased out in the next year or so. Further, there are no plans to create a playable version for the Sega Genesis or Super Nintendo.

• 111MCH111
    111MCH111 Posts: 116 Tile Toppler

This is really UNFAIR.

I have two IPads 2nd gen and one IPad 3rd gen. Besides 2 newer iPhones and a iPad 2018. Does this mean I have to buy several new IPads for my kids?

REALLY?

• 111MCH111

NOT NICE, especially since I have payed several times for character upgrades and roster space, 300 Euro or so....

Is it possible to run the game without animations on older IPads? With Older iOS?

• pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards

I mean, iOS compatibility aside, it’s been possible to run the game without animations for quite some time.

just visit settings.

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,904 Chairperson of the Boards

Are you saying they ALL play MPQ? You only need 1 device that's compatible to play MPQ so no need to update your kids devices/phones unless they are all playing too.

The other option is to install an Android virtual machine on your iPad and play MPQ in the virtual machine. Not super convenient but it would save you upgrading a device (or two).

KGB

• LakeStone

We understand the inconvenience this creates for players that use these OS versions. There is currently only a small number of our player base still playing via this OS. Keeping older OS versions up to date in the game does take considerable time to keep running and sometimes older OS versions don't work well with various tools that help run the game. Please reach out to customer support if you need any assistance with transferring any game saves and the team will be happy to help.

• Phumade
    Phumade Posts: 2,477 Chairperson of the Boards

I really appreciate the advance info and warning provided. Its always sad when a platform get retired, but they've supported iOS 9 for a reasonable amount of time (3 years since release) and given notice for people to look for upgrade options.

• 111MCH111
    Thx for the comments. Based on the poll I gave in, already bought a second Ipad2018. Third one to be bought with my sons birthday 🎁 
  • LakeStone
    The date of this switch has now been moved to no earlier than March 29.  Players using iOS 8 or 9 will be able to play for at least 2 more weeks on their current devices.