[Investigating] Skystorm not leaving helipad when on defense

Axelay
Axelay Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
My GI Joe Skystorm doesn't ever move off of the helipad whenever my base is under attack. It briefly lifts off, but then just hovers in place and appears to drop and rise periodically. I do see it firing missiles, but only from a stationary position above the helipad. I've seen Cobra helicopters go after my units when I attack helipad-equipped bases, so I'm not sure if this is a misbehaving asset or if something else is going on. Please advise? Thanks.

//Edited Title -Brigby

Comments

• Brigby
    Brigby ADMINISTRATORS Posts: 7,757 Site Admin
    Hi @Axelay Do you still see this issue occurring after the recent 1.1.1 update?
  • Axelay
    Axelay Posts: 5 Just Dropped In
    Hello! The Skystorm appears to be mobile now, but it still shows some odd behavior. It appears to randomly "shift" its elevation off of the ground from high to low. Best way I could explain it is that it almost looks like the origin of the art asset for "not firing" and the origin of the art asset for "firing" seem to have different coordinates and the object appears to move when in action... (Sorry for the dated explanation. I still work with sprites in my classes.) It's a very minor thing, so I feel like this is largely resolved.
  • Gravesong
    Gravesong Posts: 21 Just Dropped In

This has just happened on a replay 2 hours ago.

Black Dragon just sits there after Helipad is destroyed by a (absurdly powerful 2 hit stike that included destroys two flamethrowers largely spaced out with 1 hit that Cobra never gets I might add ) missle strike.

• Raithnor
    Raithnor Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Something similar just happened, game is updated to latest version.

I was attacking a base.  Dropped some paratrooper next to the Helipad and EMPed the Helipad. The troopers were able to destroy the helipad and the Mamba just basically hovered in midair doing nothing while I destroyed his base.
  • SirDerlin
    SirDerlin Posts: 13 Just Dropped In
    I've also noticed that if the Helipad is destroyed before the helicopter launches it will just hover and not attack, and not be targetable.  I suspect this is because the game doesn't "launch" the craft until a targetable enemy triggers it.  Some ideas would be 1) to include takeoff animations, and if the helipad is destroyed before launch the craft is also destroyed, or 2) have the craft hover as it is now, but release it to go active if the helipad is destroyed, or 3) launch the craft as soon as the helipad is attacked.
  • Raithnor
    Raithnor Posts: 38 Just Dropped In
    Pretty much what SirDerlin said.

If you destroy the Helipad fast enough, what's stationed on it doesn't launch.

EMP the Helipad and paratrooper destroy it.

Airstrike the Helipad

Even if you hack an anti armor turret it will destroy the helipad so fast the helicopter has no time to launch.

I just hope this isn't a valid tactic and the bug is the fact the helicopter is just hovering in mid air when it's supposed to be destroyed.