Bond of Revival has inconsistent behavior [Fix in 4.1]

Options
Zzyzzx
Zzyzzx Posts: 248 Tile Toppler
A few rounds into a match, with a creature in the yard, "Bond of Revival" casts and the creature is "resurrected".
About 8 or so (this number is arbitrary) rounds later in the match, with several creatures in the yard, Bond of Revival is disabled in my hand.

The 1st time this occurred I just figured there was some residual Anti-Spell or Anti-Resurrection in play, although I saw no evidence of this in the battle log.
The 2nd time this occurred had me convinced that this card is not working exactly as the wording reads.
Let's try attaching a screenshot again: 
On the left, you'll see that I have this spell charged and ready to go.
In the middle I'm merely showcasing the text of the card.
On the right you'll see my graveyard clearly showing Vraska's Finisher as the 1st creature in my yard.
There were no supports in play that should prevent a spell from being cast.
My opponent was Elspeth and since Sphinx's Decree is from RIX, it clearly wasn't in play.
Tagged:

Comments

• Stormcrow
    Stormcrow Posts: 462 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    How many creatures did you have in play?

My first thought is that maybe Bond of Revival won't let you replace an existing creature with a different creature. My second thought is that maybe if the "give the creature Haste u/e/o/t" part of the spell can't function, the spell won't fire (this is a pretty common type of MTGPQ bug), so did the creature you would have resurrected already have haste from some other source by any chance?

My last thought is that maybe Blood Operative's self-resurrection ability is screwing things up somehow; had you had an Operative that was the 1st creature in the graveyard but brought itself back, before the point you screenshotted?
  • Zzyzzx
    Options
    This is all good information.
    Hadn't considered that Blood Operative might be screwy with this card.
    But I know he didn't interfere with other resurrection type cards in the past (again this does't mean he doesn't now).

I tried it again today during lunch and noticed the same thing in a completely different Lily IV build with Zombies instead of vampires (Blood Operative was out).
    I was running 2 Amass creatures (Vizier of the Scorpion and Gleaming Overseer) with Angrath, Champion of Chaos Vanguard.
    I didn't grab a screenshot but I did have 3 critters in play, one being the Zombie Army token stack from Amass.
    I don't remember if both other non-token creatures already had haste, but the tokens definitely did not.
    Food for thought.
  • Zzyzzx
    edited September 2019
    Options
    It's been a while but I revisited this today since I picked up the Threshold land package.
    I can confirm that Bond of Revival always works when I have 2 critters on the field.
    I typically pack only 2 critters in Lily builds so the addition of Amass tokens broke the card.
    Today I took Seize the Soul for a spin and had no problem resurrecting my Apocalypse Demon with Bond of Revival.  I had already one Apoc Demon and one Lord of Extinction in the field.
    A couple rounds later I'd cast Seize the Soul, killing Greg's 1st and creating 2 Orzhov Spirit tokens.
    The next round I drew a Bond of Revival, charged it, and nothing.  It stayed red in my hand.  And yes there were plenty of creatures in my yard.

I'm fine with this behavior as the card, even as an Uncommon, is a fantastic resurrection tool that frankly should be of Rare caliber...but it would be better if the card read "If you control 2 or less creatures....".
  • BlessedOne
    BlessedOne Posts: 256 Mover and Shaker
    Options
    I'm fine with this behavior as the card, even as an Uncommon, is a fantastic resurrection tool that frankly should be of Rare caliber...but it would be better if the card read "If you control 2 or less creatures....".

Z. i totally agree with your post. I thought this card would be an improved Dark Petition with haste. Alas, it is not. Dark Petition will ask you to replace a creature if you have 3 on the field. If you want to pull creatures from your yard, Dark Petition is the better play.
  • jtwood
    jtwood Posts: 1,285 Chairperson of the Boards
    Options
    This still fails with 3 creatures even if the creature coming back is already in play