Paging IceIX (and/or other devs): Collected questions from the community about CL10!

Daredevil217
Daredevil217 Posts: 3,893 Chairperson of the Boards
edited February 2020 in MPQ General Discussion

I’m paging IceIX specifically because he seems to be the one offering to answer questions. But communication from any developer would be very much appreciated!

From the CL10 announcement thread...

IceIX said:

Added the SCL 10 Versus Season Rewards in the original post due to requests. Got a lot to read through and answer in the thread. And still have the Sneak Peek to update. Lots still to do!

I believe that’s the last bit of communication we’ve gotten since CL10’s launch. Knowing how crowded that thread has gotten (rightfully so), and the fact that many other threads have popped up on CL10 (expected), I wanted to use this as a space to just pose questions and concerns, so @IceIX (and others) does not have to sift through pages and pages in multiple threads.  Basically make this as clean and easy for the development team as possible. The following are questions I’ve seen posed (and ones I myself have) that hopefully we can get some clarification on, as I’m sure there are some kinks to workout.  If anyone has questions they would like to ask, I can add them to the OP. I will keep sections for both answered and unanswered questions so the developers don’t have to repeat themselves. 

I would love for this to be a place where people once again go to get information, interact with developers, and have a bit of a vision for where the game is going. So I’m hoping this helps!

@Demiurge_Will

@Demiurge_Anthony

@Brigby

@LakeStone

@IceIX

Unanswered Questions:

1) The Challenge Node was stated to not have an effect on people’s scores, but is absolutely affecting scoring/placement. Is this intended?

2) The total number of points in CL10 is the same as CL9, meaning that you get more overall joining a lower clearance level due to quicker clear times. Is this intended?

3) CL10 was reported to have more CP in nodes than CL9. Were you referring to the 1 CP in the challenge node, or did you intend to bump it in other nodes the same way CL7-9 see increases, and it didn’t make it into the code?

4) Hero Points and Command Points have been removed not only from champion rewards, but also from progression/placement rewards in both PVE/PVP.  While those elite level rosters able to compete in 10 might see an increase, everyone else is getting less for the same amount of time/effort put in. What was the rationale behind this change?

5) The last four releases have been 4/5/4/5. I know there have been these types of deviations in the past, but can we expect this to be more or less the norm (with slight deviations) going forward? This information will be crucial for many as playing for shards in 10 may be the only way to keep up with Latests if we see an accelerated 5* release pattern.

6) Are you able to reveal any information on how unfed 5* characters will be handled going forward? Currently we have 3 (Sinister, Bill, Carnage). Knowing this can also be helpful in determining which SCL a person chooses.

7) For me, having certain supports have made all the difference in CL10. Are there any plans to bring back Support Circuit or to make supports more available in general?

8) In your estimation, who is CL10 “for”? While I know each player has to figure out what works for them, what kind of rosters did you envision competing or even reaching progression when putting CL10 together?

9) Why was the 3 CP reward in CL10's 5* Essential node replaced with three individual 1 CP rewards?  The concern is that it eliminates iso rewards and creates a further CP drought for those who struggle with the 3rd and 4th clears of this node.

10) Have any of the developers tried CL10 themselves. If so, any thoughts and impressions?

11) In the Sneak Peek thread, I’ve noticed that we are having 3 5* Classic characters in a row as essential which is a huge deviation from the well-established 3 Latests/ 2 Classics pattern.   What is the rationale behind this and what can we expect going forward? Is this an attempt to help transitioners get more opportunities for shards for Classics?

12) Has there been any thought, with the significant increase in difficulty in CL10, to increase the base number of health packs from 10 to 20?

13) Has there been any thought to adding health packs to node/ progression/ bonus rewards to help with the increased health pack usage for CL10?

Answered Questions:

Comments

• Daredevil217
    Added! I hope my paraphrasing still captures the essence of your question and concern.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    Warbringa said:
    Why remove the 3 CP in the 5e in SCL 10 PvE and replace it with three individual 1 CP rewards?  Other than to eliminate iso rewards what does this accomplish?  For rosters who struggle to complete the 3rd and 4th clears of this node it seems like you are intentionally pulling this significant CP reward away in SCL 10. 

Feel free to add this question to OP then I will delete it for keeping things clean DD!
    You answered your own question.  Demi's data must have shown that 'too many' cps were going out the door.  I guess they want to encourage more people to grind the 5e 4/6, or give our fewer cp, or both..

And love the thread Daredevil!  Thanks for collecting these inquiries.

• sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    These questions will all be answered....  "soon"
  • hamsup_sotong
    hamsup_sotong Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    I have a couple..
    1. Have the devs  actually  tried to play cl10?

2. How many more vets are they trying  to drive away? :pensive:

Hammy
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,238 Chairperson of the Boards

1) The Challenge Node was stated to not have an effect on people’s scores, but is absolutely affecting scoring/placement. Is this intended?

2) The total number of points in CL10 is the same as CL9, meaning that you get more overall joining a lower clearance level due to quicker clear times. Is this intended?

While it's possible that they might adjust things with 10 being new, for the moment I think it's clear (given two events with the same structure) that the points as implemented were fully intended.

I assume if there was a bug somewhere they would have at least commented on that.
  • pheregas
    pheregas Posts: 1,721 Chairperson of the Boards

If it’s all the same to the both of you, I don’t want to “assume” anything. I know “silence speaks volumes” and all that but this should not be the case, and this thread is an attempt to get feedback and insight from the developers. So I’d rather hear from them on these issues. Especially with regards to the challenge node issue where we were specifically told one thing and have been given another. There should be some comment on that in my opinion. 

Here, here.  I second this emotion.
  • robertbah
    robertbah Posts: 124 Tile Toppler
    I have a couple..

Hammy
    From what I see in the challenge node in sub2, they put the cap on the special tiles created by those mindless. (seems like level 585) They might have play tested or this was designed long ago since we don't see the enemy's level over 550 at all before cl10 is introduced.
  • Tony_Foot
    Tony_Foot Posts: 1,698 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020

While funny, you were actually a big inspiration with your monthly developer Q&A threads back in the day. I truly believe that the rift between players and developers is bigger than it has ever been. I believe it can be repaired, but in any broken relationship, both parties have to put in work.

There is no rift, they barely ever participated at all even at the best of times, the game is almost 6 years old, why do you think they have the resources to devote time to answering a question and then watching it turn negative again when they can't give either the detail people demand or carry on with the next line of questioning.

I have no idea why people seem to think this is either a good idea or what other games are doing regularly, there's little gain for them in this scenario. Find out about the game as I do every other game I play, with in game announcements, that's how probably 95% of everyone else learns about new stuff.

Were you not around to see Colognoisser attempt this to only give up when the answers dried up. It ended up leaving bad feeling when they weren't around to keep updating the threads.

If the count for number of Answers goes above one I might start believing in the tooth fairy.

• hamsup_sotong
    hamsup_sotong Posts: 27 Just Dropped In
    edited February 2020
    Vhailorx said:

You answered your own question.  Demi's data must have shown that 'too many' cps were going out the door.  I guess they want to encourage more people to grind the 5e 4/6, or give our fewer cp, or both..

bluewolf said:

While it's possible that they might adjust things with 10 being new, for the moment I think it's clear (given two events with the same structure) that the points as implemented were fully intended.

I assume if there was a bug somewhere they would have at least commented on that.
    If it’s all the same to the both of you, I don’t want to “assume” anything. I know “silence speaks volumes” and all that but this should not be the case, and this thread is an attempt to get feedback and insight from the developers. So I’d rather hear from them on these issues. Especially with regards to the challenge node issue where we were specifically told one thing and have been given another. There should be some comment on that in my opinion. 
    Release The Crickets!
    While funny, you were actually a big inspiration with your monthly developer Q&A threads back in the day. I truly believe that the rift between players and developers is bigger than it has ever been. I believe it can be repaired, but in any broken relationship, both parties have to put in work. This is my attempt at doing so. I’m doing everything in my power to facilitate open communication and if the developers choose to partake, that’s huge. Especially since this used to be THE spot for developer interaction. Any other players want to take part in this process, I implore you to do so.  Let’s please keep this thread with that focus. 

I wrote the following in my “why your players are upset” post (that received no developer comment despite 67 likes/insightfuls):

When you look at all of this in context and wonder why each subsequent decision is made with less and less support from your community, this is why. People tolerate some “bad” when you build up goodwill, but you’ve made too many withdrawals from the bank and now there is nothing left (Justin’s comment also didn’t help). 

People here can chime in on what they feel proper compensation should be, but for me that goodwill is gone. I feel like there needs to be not only compensation in the form of paying out those rewards we were led to believe were coming, but also a sincere apology, and an HONEST explanation of your thought process. This would go a long way in depositing some goodwill in the overdrawn account.  Because this is indeed a broken relationship in need of serious repair work.

We were indeed “paid” after Shardpocalype but communication only got worse. So much of what I wrote then rings even more true today. I truly care about this game and I believe that the contentious player/developer relationship has a much bigger impact on the overall success/health of the game than even they realize. Overall community is important. So, let us players do our part to facilitate change and hope the developers can meet us halfway. If not, we can at least say we did our part before the game ultimately folds and people walk away for good.

I have a couple..

Hammy

I added your first question. Respectfully I’m not adding the 2nd for what should be obvious reasons.

I’ve also added a new question on the change in 5* Essential release patterns. Finally, I tagged as many developers as I can in hopes one of them can find time to answer some questions on this gigantic new feature.

That was tongue  in cheek ahahha :)

But honestly the time ,that's  needed for cl10 doesnt do wonders for qol..
    If i have 3/4 of hs1 thinking about scratching comp pve.. i think that its pretty bad
    :s
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,238 Chairperson of the Boards
    And now we are starting our 3rd event with SCL10 live.  Still no responses on any issue.  

Even just a few points of clarification would be nice.  Make a new thread.  Whatever makes sense.

It's more than a bit disappointing to finally get SCL 10 and not even get some clarification on basic rules and design.  I mean they did the announcement nicely but just a little more communication would be great when something this big comes along.

Obviously the developers are hard at work, but D3 seems to be in charge of communication such as it is, and have either stretched our community manager a bit too thin or just set up very rigid scheduling around his time and how often he can post updates here, or something.

MtGPQ isn't getting any D3 support on the forum either, really, but at least the developer interacts with the community there.
  • jredd
    jredd Posts: 1,387 Chairperson of the Boards
    my questions are regarding health packs:

1: has there been any thought, with the significant increase in difficulty in scl10, to increase the base number of health packs from 10-20?

2: similarly, has there been any thought to adding health packs to node/progression/bonus rewards to help with the increased usage for scl10.
  • Daredevil217
    jredd said:
    my questions are regarding health packs:

1: has there been any thought, with the significant increase in difficulty in scl10, to increase the base number of health packs from 10-20?

2: similarly, has there been any thought to adding health packs to node/progression/bonus rewards to help with the increased usage for scl10.
    Added! Thanks for the questions!
  • supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

Radio silence since nearly 14 days now.

I wrote a mail to Support and ask if they abandoned the forums. Maybe if more players ask this, it can help to get at least an answer like „CL10 works as intended, get over it“.

• spatenfloot
    spatenfloot Posts: 660 Critical Contributor

Well, review bombing got a response...

• Colognoisseur
    Colognoisseur Posts: 804 Critical Contributor

As we enter the fourth event since implementation of cl10 It looks the answers to your questions have been given via experience of playing.

• supergarv
    supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker

Support answered with a generic „we read everything, thank you“ mail. I‘ll renew my 1* rating though :)