That CL10 challenge node is...

supergarv
supergarv Posts: 408 Mover and Shaker
.... the WORST! I failed miserably on the first event and needed to use whales. A Doom at level to one-shot you with 9 AP black, which is inevitable due to his health pool, just plain is not fun. Not even speaking of the time it takes to play the node (I spent 40mins. On a SINGLE 3x node clear)

The open of this event was awful, too. 19 out of 400 players needed 60 minutes for the opening. I spent 25 of them on the challenge node. Stun and tile spam, and a healthpool of 650k is just sadistic.

Why, oh why is this challenge node needed for placement? Without points, like initially advertised, this would be a funny sidequest.

Fix this mess!!!

Comments

• supergarv
    True, I nearly didnt notice through my blurry teary vision.

Who playtested this? A bondage studio operator? Surely not someone who knows how this game is played at the competitive level. I simply cannot believe how this is gating only 550 rosters to those rewards that are actually needed for entey-level 5* rosters to progress. It is simply offensive to 980 out of 1000 players. Way to curb-stomp your players, such a joyful experience for a mobile game.

• Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    supergarv said:
    True, I nearly didnt notice through my blurry teary vision.

Who playtested this? A bondage studio operator? Surely not someone who knows how this game is played at the competitive level. I simply cannot believe how this is gating only 550 rosters to those rewards that are actually needed for entey-level 5* rosters to progress. It is simply offensive to 980 out of 1000 players. Way to curb-stomp your players, such a joyful experience for a mobile game.

As if this is only valid for SCL10. The top prizes from SCL7 upward go to well developed rosters. I don't know how you expect this would be different in SCL10.

As an example, I'm playing SCL8 atm, and I'm the lucky owner of one (yes, 1) champed 5*. The number one has 37 champed 5*.....

• KGB
    KGB Posts: 2,900 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
  • Dogface
    Dogface Posts: 967 Critical Contributor
    KGB said:
    might want to finish the quote: "..... your health packs".
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,570 Chairperson of the Boards
    Dogface said:
    KGB said:
    might want to finish the quote: "..... your health packs".
    ...and your sanity...
  • supergarv
    I tried a few times today (thinking to retreat before I would actually win the match, just to see what my close grind will look like).

I failed miserably, as to be expected.

I tried Thorkoye/XFDP: 
    Here I could not survive more than that one carnage red.

And BRB/Kitty/Medusa: 
    Also, powers just instasmashed me a few turns in.

• supergarv
    Heck. Even surviving to drop whales (either via TU using Thorkoye+MsMarvel or dragging along DP himself) I didn't manage 3 times now.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    Maybe you might want to drop down to lower SCL for the next event? There's a reason why SCL 10 is endgame content. If you can cheese through this endgame difficulty, it means the dev is out of touch of what it means to create challenging mode.
  • supergarv
    Also ran Thorkoye+BSSM. That worked not so bad, but Okoye can't heal up from all the match and attack tile damage quick enough. Ate dust after a minute again. One Blood Feud is all it takes, and if not, Carnages Green will follow soon.
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think the fact that the dev has not gated players from playing down in lower SCL PvEs for years more or less show that they want to give players the choice to choose the difficulty level that they want to handle. SCL 10 is difficult enough to make players forget about placements and go for full progression instead. Maybe that's their intention?
  • sambrookjm
    sambrookjm Posts: 2,105 Chairperson of the Boards
    You know, you don't *have* to do the Challenge node.  I've got a dozen or so champed 5-stars (max level is Strange at 459), and the Doom+2 black feeders one was a pain.  I managed to get through all of the challenge nodes the first four times, but once it hit the fifth turn, I wiped out repeatedly.  Thorkoye + Strange were good enough the first four clears, but once they enemy team maxed out, their health and match damage was just too much.

My solution - Stop wasting the health packs, and call it a day.  Even with not clearing those nodes all the way down to zero points, I still placed in the top 100.  Yes, the clears of every node took a lot longer than they did in SCL9.  But this is supposed to be the hardest level, so you've got to expect that.

I'll probably try SCL10 again for this event, even though my BRB has only one cover.  There are a lot of mindless ones, so Strange will shine.  Heck, I may try Prowler as the third to steal the tiles that they put out at the start of the match.  It may end up with the team dying horribly, but it's something new to try.
  • BagPuss
    BagPuss Posts: 70 Match Maker
    Heart of Darkness with Carnage boosted is the next one.
    Rest assured that your Carnage won't be as lethal as the AI one.
  • Ed5566
    Ed5566 Posts: 11 Just Dropped In
    It was a challenge, but my 451 Okoye, 451 Hawkeye and 250 worthy cap enjoyed shredding carnage and friends
  • supergarv
    It's a nice suggestion, but since I'm competing for T10 to T20 for a new character, that is not an option.
  • MrEd95
    MrEd95 Posts: 280 Mover and Shaker
    That’s why they call it “Challenge” mode. Welcome to CL10 I guess
  • MegaBee
    MegaBee Posts: 975 Critical Contributor
    I was pointed toward Okoye, 5* Iceman, 5* Thor in a different thread, and it worked so very well.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020

Ed5566 said:
    It was a challenge, but my 451 Okoye, 451 Hawkeye and 250 worthy cap enjoyed shredding carnage and friends
    This.  Stunner/disabling/infinite engine/trick teams seem likely to be the best way to beat these 650 nodes.  650s have so much match damage, and their powers will almost all one-shot most opponents, so we will have to adopt strategies that minimize the number of enemy turns as much as possible.  These used to be the a much more common strategies in MPQ (way back in 2014-2016), but 5* players haven't really needed to rely on them for a very long time because nothing has been more than +100 or so levels since the 5* champ system and CL9 rolled out. 

So let's try to figure out if there are any good 3* or 4* + 5* meatshield teams that might be useful here.  the stunner bros are clearly viable (especially if you have enough levels on them that they can take 3+ matches from the opponent).  What about winfinte?  has anyone tried gsbw + 4* X + either of the non-BW 5*s with purple as their strongest power (HE, loki)?  Has anyone figured out an infinite engine with the new tile generators (e.g., modok) or tile destroyers?

Alternately, invisible teams may work against any of these challenge nodes that don't have aoe (though not fast enough for high placement). 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    Hawkeye/coulson/Iceman is a pretty interesting engine team. Lot of blue tile competition, but it's pretty reliable, chasing all that team up will either go to Iceman's ice shield or coulson's tile shortener, which in turn feeds the AP machine.
  • BagPuss
    BagPuss Posts: 70 Match Maker

Beating this on the open, okay.
    Beating it on the grind, x3, this century for placement... o:)