All 3* Champions Maxed! Now What?

2»

Comments

• PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    Huh.  Well, while i see why it is technically a negative from the perspective of HP, i still see the positive in the rewards in total.

In fact, as i mentioned earlier, when i roster a dupe, i sell the max champ as soon as i champ the new guy.  I know that this isnt standard for those that try to maximize value from PvP ... But im not a placement player in either PvE or PvP, so I'm not bothered by this prospect.

In other words, the only time i need a new slot --- is for a NEW character.  Thats it.  Thats only (currently for me) 1000 HP every few weeks.  Which is easily gained through flipping 2*s, champ rewards, PvE progression, etc.

So... Yeah.  When i said they pay for themselves, i meant ISO-wise (the iso for selling nearly equals what it costs to level and champ the new dupe).  But HP wise?  I've already bought the farm slots long ago.  Each time i flip one, the next one is pure gravy.  Its not like i gotta buy a new slot every time i flip Moonstone!  That'd be a catastrophe!  And i think we'd probably all be thinking differently on farming too.
  • DAZ0273
    DAZ0273 Posts: 9,572 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    Look - I really did NOT say there was a negative to 3* farming if you have the HP to do it, just that it used to pay for itself* and now sadly it doesn't.

* in terms of HP earned over the course of collecting covers to level 266 = 1000HP therefore free roster slot for a dupe without needing to sell
  • wingX
    wingX Posts: 252 Mover and Shaker
    For me, I will keep my 3* dupe till they are fully covered with saved covers to reach around 200 when champed or basically sell the max champed ones that I seldom used when their dupe reached around lv 200.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I've just been flipping mine as soon as they top out, even if it's a single-cover replacement (and sometimes I live on the edge and just do it with no replacement - one time I did that, and desperately needed a cover for some node, and so I actually managed to grind enough shards within a single day from standards and whatever to roster a single cover; not sustainable play by any means, but achievement unlocked i guess).

The covers roll in maybe faster than you think, but probably slower than you want. I currently have 11 un-champed 3*s, with 5 of those re-champable. I find that my float point suffers, but I can climb fine with a loaner and 2 5*s, or a single 5* plus my 353 Chavez I spent all last year working on. So for my own playstyle, I don't need them duped on roster.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,238 Chairperson of the Boards
    PiMacleod said:
    Huh.  Well, while i see why it is technically a negative from the perspective of HP, i still see the positive in the rewards in total.

In fact, as i mentioned earlier, when i roster a dupe, i sell the max champ as soon as i champ the new guy.  I know that this isnt standard for those that try to maximize value from PvP ... But im not a placement player in either PvE or PvP, so I'm not bothered by this prospect.

In other words, the only time i need a new slot --- is for a NEW character.  Thats it.  Thats only (currently for me) 1000 HP every few weeks.  Which is easily gained through flipping 2*s, champ rewards, PvE progression, etc.

So... Yeah.  When i said they pay for themselves, i meant ISO-wise (the iso for selling nearly equals what it costs to level and champ the new dupe).  But HP wise?  I've already bought the farm slots long ago.  Each time i flip one, the next one is pure gravy.  Its not like i gotta buy a new slot every time i flip Moonstone!  That'd be a catastrophe!  And i think we'd probably all be thinking differently on farming too.
    I just wanted to call this out.  It was easier to set up the farm before since you could conceivably save the HP you got along the way and just buy a slot with it, and newer people now have to pay out more than they earn to do the same thing vets did for "free".

It's obvious, but reducing HP from most of the places it is rewarded in the game hurts players for a long, long time.  It's not just the "try to roster every one of 203 characters", it's "try to capitalize on the fact that the game throws you 2's and 3's at a rapid pace and how can you benefit from that".

And increasing the cost of setting up a farm is, of course, well within their rights as a developer.

But even when the farm was HP-neutral for 3s you still had the initial cost of the slot, and it takes a LONG time to fully champ a 3.  So it was a nerf in the repayment which.....just feels so bad somehow.  I get that the devs need to make money and make more money (capitalism) but it still grates on me.
  • PiMacleod
    PiMacleod Posts: 1,716 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited February 2020
    Okay... Fair.  If we're talking about new players, then sure.  If you're doing this here and now.  

But who's new??!?!

I mean, really.  How many NEW players does this game bring in?  Sure, maybe a couple here and there that see an ad for it and think, "hey, i like marvel stuff, and i can match 3... And i got time to kill... Why not?"

Then how many of those new guys actually stick around?  I'd wager not many.

In our alliance, there's a revolving door for one or two slots, and not by design.  There always seems to be someone who falls out, due to lack of interest, boredom, tired of the grind, etc.  We've lost a couple of long time players along the way too, but most of our vets remain.  But theres always a player or two thats lower (like, 3* player at best), that will fall out and just give up on it.

I think THAT is mainly due to the grind, the dilution, the giant insurmountable obstacle this game must look like for new peeps once they dive in.

But beyond that?  The rest of us who have been here for a while?

A vast majority of us have our farms.  I had my farm slots before i was a forum member.  It seemed like a no brainer.

So yes.  Once you have bought an extra slot for your Moonstone, the 3rd time you're building her (assuming you dont keep more than one copy), you dont need to buy another slot, and all of that HP is gravy.  HP is harder to get nowadays, sure, but this fact doesnt change that you don't need another slot once you already have the farm slots acquired.

...maybe i should just stop typing about it.  I mean, i know what i'm saying here.  I know what you're saying.  We all know what each other is saying... And none of it is going to affect how anyone else farms.  I'm sitting here typing this thinking "its just plain silly".

@bluewolf
    I cant help but think that the more they try to squeeze blood from a stone, the closer this game gets to the end.  I dont want it to end, personally... So it kinda grates on me too.  But i cant stop it from happening.  So i'll just keep on grinding.  Just to see how far i can go before the doors are closed.
  • DirionScrab
    DirionScrab Posts: 8 Just Dropped In
    I will definitely keep  Strange  and Thanos until i get better versions  also switch and  bwgs the rest i will cycle as and  when i need  slots

• dramatist
    dramatist Posts: 218 Tile Toppler
    My goal is to have two of every 3*. A max champion and the one I’m rebuilding. I’m almost there. When I champed my first two 5*s I sold about a dozen max champ 3*s for the Iso. I have either four or five of those that aren’t quite maxed again. I’m close to no longer needing hero points for 3*s any more. 

By the way if you add the 500 hero points from selling a max champ 3* to the 650 hero points you get from champion levels you still come out slightly ahead.