***** Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex) *****

Comments

• ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Vhailorx said:
    See if you can find a Bishop team and a Worthy team. I’ll probably run him with Doom/X eventually. 
    That's a lot of blue/purple/black overlap.  What's the intended synergy?
    Board shake chaos into damage from X and lucking into Sinister traps. Doom’s yellow really works well with X, and he also siphons black. It’s not about the match rainbow, it’s about power effect synergy. Lot of damage reduction on that team as well.
  • Bad
    Bad Posts: 3,146 Chairperson of the Boards

I don't think MPQ has only one world, that is the speed world. 
    I agree. And after speed the damage reduction uses to show his value. If you dont enjoy to be buying tons of medkit packs, thats it.
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Whom will he replace in LTs?

Pardon me if this was already asked (7 pages already! Real life keeps intruding...).
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,237 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Yepyep said:
    Whom will he replace in LTs?

Pardon me if this was already asked (7 pages already! Real life keeps intruding...).
    Professor.  Probably 2 weeks from now. 
  • leoperez90
    leoperez90 Posts: 66 Match Maker
    He seems pretty slow, fun character if your messing around in sim. 

Thanks for the vids!!!!
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Vhailorx said:
    See if you can find a Bishop team and a Worthy team. I’ll probably run him with Doom/X eventually. 
    That's a lot of blue/purple/black overlap.  What's the intended synergy?
    Board shake chaos into damage from X and lucking into Sinister traps. Doom’s yellow really works well with X, and he also siphons black. It’s not about the match rainbow, it’s about power effect synergy. Lot of damage reduction on that team as well.
    So the idea is that doom siphons yellow and black.  Black fuels sinister DR, and yellow shuffles the board (with the possibility of matching traps).  Meanwhile X's purple adds versatility, and his blue punishes any Cascades.   And sinister floods the board with traps and his blue provides the offense?

I guess I see it.  He/worthy, 4* blade, and IM40/lady Thor have long since proven that rainbow coverage is unnecessary in MPQ if a one trick pony has a good enough trick.

Still, this combo seems less like a dominant team more like teams i used to run way back in the day.  Something like patch/Loki/falcon.  The synergy is definitely there, and the team is fun to play.  But it is ultimately a novelty since other teams will get the job done in less time with less risk and less damage taken. 

• ThaRoadWarrior
    Bear in mind I have GE Doom and Profe$$or X champed, but I have a 2/0/2 Gladiathor, so my options are limited lol.
  • Vhailorx
    edited January 2020
    Bear in mind I have GE Doom and Profe$$or X champed, but I have a 2/0/2 Gladiathor, so my options are limited lol.

Ha!  well, sometimes there is great joy to be found in working within limitations. I have a very soft spot for my old patch grinding teams (first with doom and falcon, then adding in loki when mischief entered the game and even elektra as I had her purple maxed very early after her release).  Even if I haven't used them in earnest since 2015 or so. . .
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited January 2020
    Yeah for sure. Right now my options are: Ghost Rider, Doom, Okoye, Rescue, Jessica Jones, Professor X, 5torm, and Iceman, so any teams featuring those are where I'm at. I do have a Chavez in the 350s, so I'm quite curious what it looks like to run Sinister with her. I think his AP stealing ways combined with her rando critical bombs could make for a pretty surprising team. Maybe throw in Carbage for the free turn to help with AP gathering. Do enemy attack tiles help him spit out traps? if so, you might get a little jumpstart there too.
  • Vhailorx
    Yeah for sure. Right now my options are: Ghost Rider, Doom, Okoye, Rescue, Jessica Jones, Professor X, 5torm, and Iceman, so any teams featuring those are where I'm at. I do have a Chavez in the 350s, so I'm quite curious what it looks like to run Sinister with her. I think his AP stealing ways combined with her rando critical bombs could make for a pretty surprising team. Maybe throw in Carbage for the free turn to help with AP gathering. Do enemy attack tiles help him spit out traps? if so, you might get a little jumpstart there too.
    Do you get a lot of work out of rescue + bishop?  They might be a nice combo with sinister, although I would like a red battery for rescue. . .
  • Yepyep
    Yepyep Posts: 952 Critical Contributor
    Vhailorx said:

Ha!  well, sometimes there is great joy to be found in working within limitations. ...
    Forgive me, but the instant I read this the word “MARRIAGE” burst into my mind... 😂🤔
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    edited February 2020
    Vhailorx said:
    Do you get a lot of work out of rescue + bishop?  They might be a nice combo with sinister, although I would like a red battery for rescue. . .
    Not as much as I expected. Her blue is pricy, it takes +2 and 2x Overclocked to work if you don’t have a blue match early. My baby champ Bishop stays dying early too. I thought WCap might be better for also adding red to the board, but at lvl 271 or whatever, he is also a wet piece of paper.In pick-3 it’s novel with Okoye to use her Red to the fullest, but Bishop eats the Protects pretty fast. Rescue/BRB/Okoye is so far the best pick 3 I’ve found for her, even with my 1/1/2 BRB
  • Jormagund
    Jormagund Posts: 175 Tile Toppler
    @Thanos Thanks for the vids on Sinister (and all the other new characters).

No Nathaniel, oh no, Nathaniel.
    Since day 1 in the game I have been bemoaning the lack of Mister Sinister as one of the greatest x-villians.  Part of me is glad that he's now in game but the main part is regretful that he's not closer to the meta.  I like the intent of the trap tiles but as everyone has pointed out way too easy to overwrite them for some teams and purple needs you to let your enemies fire powers to work.  Seems to be to inconsistent to be a regular team member.
    We now need a Marauders tag and characters that create additional traps/have trap based boosts on powers...

• tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2020
    Cool to see Sinister added even if he doesn't measure up as well with other 5s. When 5Prof leaves LL, seems like this will be one of the most depressing trio of 5s in LLs. BRB is awesome, but ouch to have both 5Carnage and Sinister as the other two. Going to be a long time before we have a good 2 or 3 in LL again, especially with BRB next to exit and Carnage/Sinister hanging around which will seem like eons. 

They're going to need an absolutely killer 5 to replace BRB, for a lot of us to want to hit LLs anytime soon. Even if the next 5 is a meta changer, I'd still wait for Carnage to leave and most likely Sinister as well before I open another stash. 
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    Carnage is out after X, no?
  • tonypq
    tonypq Posts: 549 Critical Contributor
    edited February 2020
    Carnage is out after X, no?
    Yeah you're right my mistake. Good thing for those trying to finish BRB. 
  • Vhailorx
    edited February 2020
    Vhailorx said:
    Not as much as I expected. Her blue is pricy, it takes +2 and 2x Overclocked to work if you don’t have a blue match early. My baby champ Bishop stays dying early too. I thought WCap might be better for also adding red to the board, but at lvl 271 or whatever, he is also a wet piece of paper.In pick-3 it’s novel with Okoye to use her Red to the fullest, but Bishop eats the Protects pretty fast. Rescue/BRB/Okoye is so far the best pick 3 I’ve found for her, even with my 1/1/2 BRB
    Because you emphasize rescue's blue, I assume you are speaking about running this pair v. Gritty teams, right?  Yeah, that's going to be board dependant as bad strike placement could drop your bishop fast.  BRB's blue would help keep protects on the board, but that is a lot of characters all fighting for blue. 

Sinister bishop should be decent, and then you might want a self-self sufficient green/red user for #3 where available, if rescue doesn't work as a 3rd.  Maybe someone like 4* Juggs for some easy aoe potential without using tooany healthpacks?
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    edited February 2020
    Reading his purple again and I just realized that you have to match those Trap tiles to activate the AP steal/destruction effect. You only create one Trap tile! it's going to be difficult to match them when it really matters :( 

AP steal/destruction is mainly to stop the opponent from firing their key active powers. I'd have preferred it activating automatically if at the start of your turn, the opponent has 7 or more AP in the Trap tile's color. Otherwise, this Trap is pretty much useless and it's just there to boost his blue power damage.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    himatako said:
    Reading his purple again and I just realized that you have to match those Trap tiles to activate the AP steal/destruction effect. You only create one Trap tile! it's going to be difficult to match them when it really matters :( 

AP steal/destruction is mainly to stop the opponent from firing their key active powers. I'd have preferred it activating automatically if at the start of your turn, the opponent has 7 or more AP in the Trap tile's color. Otherwise, this Trap is pretty much useless and it's just there to boost his blue power damage.
    This is why I think that power is for WCap - it'll get matched during all those cascades, and since the board is getting flooded with the red/blue that matters, it will ideally steal those colors and negate the AP gain from Hawkeye if it works.