***** Mister Sinister (Nathaniel Essex) *****

Comments

• jamesh
    jamesh Posts: 1,600 Chairperson of the Boards
    RickOShay said:
    And what happens when AoE damage is fired at Mr. Sinister's team, and he has the requisite 6 black AP (or 9)?  Does he reduce that damage for each on his team, and produce 6 traps? Oof.
    Does the power description actually say that he will reduce damage to allies?  He might end up only reducing his own damage in response to an AoE.
  • wymtime
    wymtime Posts: 3,757 Chairperson of the Boards
    jamesh said:
    RickOShay said:
    And what happens when AoE damage is fired at Mr. Sinister's team, and he has the requisite 6 black AP (or 9)?  Does he reduce that damage for each on his team, and produce 6 traps? Oof.
    Does the power description actually say that he will reduce damage to allies?  He might end up only reducing his own damage in response to an AoE.
    His power set says he will prevent damage, but you do make a good point with the AOE.  If you look at characters like DP and Thing their passive fires on AOE.  When he becomes live we will see if you have enough AP it will prevent tat much damage.

the issue is the Big AOE deal way more damage than he prevents.  Think of Thor’s green with Okoye doing 30k+ damage and sinister preventing 7k
  • HoundofShadow
    HoundofShadow Posts: 8,004 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not much different from players assessing new 5* based on whether they work with Thorokye. Stale and uncreative.  :D
  • LavaManLee
    LavaManLee Posts: 1,246 Chairperson of the Boards
    I think he will grow into a big defensive deterrent in PVP but he will be useless in PVE unless required.
  • bluewolf
    bluewolf Posts: 5,238 Chairperson of the Boards
    It's not much different from players assessing new 5* based on whether they work with Thorokye. Stale and uncreative.  :D
    Not going to completely disagree, but Gritty is the other offensive meta team and is also in the mix.

I suppose you could somehow build into Prof X and make another offensive meta team but I am not sure I'd want to see the character that worked with him to make more match 4's happen....seems like you'd have every match with that team play out like Evergreen did.
  • HoundofShadow
    Yeah, Gritty is the other one.

I think Sinister's trap tiles work only when they are matched. Prof X might end up drestroying his trap tiles without activating them. I think they fixed that bug quite a while back, where passive abilities process due to match 4 destroying a line of trap/special tiles. It would work nicely back then, but maybe they would make a great team since Prof X and Chavez seems to be a common team too.
  • jp1
    jp1 Posts: 1,068 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    Making assessments based purely on the character’s posted specs/powers and with no consideration to Thorkoye or Kitty, he looks to be boring and slow. I’m happy to be wrong but save for the fact he doesn’t damage your own team he doesn’t seem much better than Carbage. Certainly nothing more than a benchwarmer. 

BRB/Carnage turned out to be a decent combo, so perhaps they have something in the works. Otherwise, I say he is uninspired...especially for Mr. Sinister.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    I'm thinking that Carbage's extra turns could potentially be a factor here for additional match potential. 

I'm really curious what he is going to be like vs a Bishop team. If his traps go off even when stunned, a la JJ's traps, it might be surprising how well he could work. If you can get a cascade going, get Bishop to hit you several times so you vomit out a few traps before he gets to actually take a turn and stun you, he might prove to be effective with a force multiplier in the mix like Okoye (assuming she isn't stunned yet). I think if he spit out traps stunned or not, he might make a better counter to the Stun Bros.
  • bluewolf
    I'm thinking that Carbage's extra turns could potentially be a factor here for additional match potential. 

I'm really curious what he is going to be like vs a Bishop team. If his traps go off even when stunned, a la JJ's traps, it might be surprising how well he could work. If you can get a cascade going, get Bishop to hit you several times so you vomit out a few traps before he gets to actually take a turn and stun you, he might prove to be effective with a force multiplier in the mix like Okoye (assuming she isn't stunned yet). I think if he spit out traps stunned or not, he might make a better counter to the Stun Bros.
    Questions like "do his traps trigger when stunned?" - basic mechanics of the character - that kind of thing would be great to get answers to from the development team.

Unfortunately they don't have the time (taking the charitable approach) to even sell us / tell us about the new 5* character.
  • skittledaddy
    skittledaddy Posts: 968 Critical Contributor
    edited January 2020
    Methinks we should just call him Ackbar...

https://youtu.be/4F4qzPbcFiA
  • RickOShay
    RickOShay Posts: 452 Mover and Shaker
    edited January 2020

Bishop's damage is only dealt from his passive, so it will not trigger Sinister's purple, and it will not be enough damage to trigger his black (usually) either.
    It states 'when the enemy fires a power' which refers to Active abilities. Of course, when Bishop fires his blue for that stun, you'd need to make sure someone else on your team gets stunned, to keep Sinister alert and placing traps.
    I don't think you'll be able to get enough traps out to deal measurable damage to Bishop, and in fact it will probably just be enough Trap matches to trigger Bishop's defense more often.  
    Trying to get your own blue to fire off Sinister's sole active ability will simply cause too much match damage along the way to be avoiding Bishop in the first place. 

Maybe it's not fair for us to have hoped that the new 5* would have anti-Bishop properties. Maybe this is coming from some other new release?  {or the nerf bat please}
    Historically we've been given characters that have a decent counter-ability to a recently-developed character's strong ability. As stated it's way overdue on Bishop though (for 5* players), and we just need to rely on our own 4* characters to keep match damage low enough to build AP safely to take him out. Or take the stuns and damage and just down him when you've awaken. 
    Not fun though, I too was hoping this new 5* could be the answer.
  • ThaRoadWarrior
    ThaRoadWarrior Posts: 9,125 Chairperson of the Boards
    RickOShay said:
    [...]
    Historically we've been given characters that have a decent counter-ability to a recently-developed character's strong ability. [....]
    The Lumbercap/Archangel attempts at shutting down Gambit's Stacked Deck passive AP gain seem about as effective as what we're seeing here, if it was, in fact, supposed to be a Stun-Bros counter. I do think that purple would be more likely to help you against WCap/Hawkeye than they would Bishop, but if you go in with +4 to Black, and your own Bishop, and then Original Sinister procs off of damage to an ally, you might could end up with a few traps on the board. And then you could use that blue AP from bishop to fire off your own blue. I don't know, it's probably not better than taking Bishop/5trange in if you have them, but since I don't have a functional 5trange it will be easier for me to try it out with Sinister.
  • Vhailorx
    Vhailorx Posts: 6,085 Chairperson of the Boards
    edited January 2020
    RickOShay said:
    [...]
    Historically we've been given characters that have a decent counter-ability to a recently-developed character's strong ability. [....]
    The Lumbercap/Archangel attempts at shutting down Gambit's Stacked Deck passive AP gain seem about as effective as what we're seeing here, if it was, in fact, supposed to be a Stun-Bros counter. I do think that purple would be more likely to help you against WCap/Hawkeye than they would Bishop, but if you go in with +4 to Black, and your own Bishop, and then Original Sinister procs off of damage to an ally, you might could end up with a few traps on the board. And then you could use that blue AP from bishop to fire off your own blue. I don't know, it's probably not better than taking Bishop/5trange in if you have them, but since I don't have a functional 5trange it will be easier for me to try it out with Sinister.
    It was stunning to me that demi ever thought those powers would even slow down Gambit at all.  How can an active power that relies on special tiles overcome a passive AP gen fueling an active power that overwrote any special tiles? Sometimes it's like they don't play the game at all.

And saying that bishop + sinister will be a viable counter to bishop is not saying much at all.  bishop is doing almost all the heavy lifting in that pair.
  • Taganov
    Taganov Posts: 279 Mover and Shaker
    Wasted opportunity on Purple. If it were triggered by both active and passive abilities, he could be exciting.
    As it stands I can't see him shaking the meta. Potential threat to Gritty teams only, and I don't know who is having problems with Gritty.
  • himatako
    himatako Posts: 269 Mover and Shaker
    I kinda like him but that's only because I hopelessly want the trap mechanic to work well, even though we all know that in the current meta most of his traps are going to be replaced by special tiles spamming. 
  • HoundofShadow
    I think it's going to be difficult to overwrite most of his trap tiles unless you are using  3* Storm Teamup, 4* Carnage or BRB.

If there are 8 trap tiles on the board, you have 1/8 chance of overwritting one of them. 
  • Polares
    Polares Posts: 2,643 Chairperson of the Boards
    Argh this is so disappointing, I wanted to get ProfX AND Sinister, I was convinced he was coming when BRB was released, but he is released now, and now I need to get one or the other :( (I can't get both, I don't generate CPs fast enough).

His kit is okeish I guess, but I don't like trap mechanics that much. At least they trigger when you click them too, but as most people has said, I just see him working against PvE goons.

I guess it is better this way, as I will probably get ProfX and not him...
  • bluewolf
    Polares said:
    Argh this is so disappointing, I wanted to get ProfX AND Sinister, I was convinced he was coming when BRB was released, but he is released now, and now I need to get one or the other :( (I can't get both, I don't generate CPs fast enough).

His kit is okeish I guess, but I don't like trap mechanics that much. At least they trigger when you click them too, but as most people has said, I just see him working against PvE goons.

I guess it is better this way, as I will probably get ProfX and not him...
    There is no question that Prof X is better than Sinister, even without playing him.  Get the Professor.